The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 03:06 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Arrow SOLD: R Taylor Style 2 Cedar/Mahogany...now with Sound sample!

FS: R Taylor Style 2 Cedar/Mahogany

What a sweet smaller guitar.
You don't see many style 2's as they are considered a keeper by virtually everyone. I bought this recently because Cedar with Mahogany is one of my favorite combinations. This one did not disappoint. But, due to trades etc. I currently have three more guitars than I can play so for sale they go.

For those who don't know what an R Taylor is, you need to study up. This is a hand built guitar by Bob Taylor's best guys. Even though the company doesn't build and sell R Taylors any more, nobody could doubt of question that the woods and build quality is second to virtually none.

Here's what R Taylor said about these:

"After experimenting with body shape and dimension, bracing size and placement, scale lengths, bridge size and peghead design, the R. Taylor Style 2 was born. The body measures 15 inches wide at the lower bout (Style 1 being 16-1/4 inches), and 4-3/16 inches deep at the lower bout (compared to 4-7/16 inches for Style 1).

While the Style 2 will certainly appeal to fingerstyle players, guitarists of every ilk will find inspiration in their hands. As a result of the carefully thinned back, sides and top, and the light scalloped bracing, it takes very little energy to make the entire guitar body come alive. The sound is signature R. Taylor, offering superb note definition over the entire fingerboard, exquisite sustain, and chords that bloom as a finely balanced palette of expression. Together these tonal traits translate the player’s intentions into what we all ultimately seek: musicality.

Departing slightly from the Style 1 options, Style 2 features just one bracing pattern/top geometry: light, forward-shifted X bracing, with a 65-foot radius top."

Specifications:

Build Date: 2008
Body Size: Style 2
Back and Sides: Tropical Mahogany
Top: Western Red Cedar
Binding: Rosewood
Top Geometry: 65' Radius
Top Bracing: Style 2- Adirondack Spruce
Scale Length: 24 7/8"
Neck: Tropical Mahogany
Headstock Overlay: Ebony
Nut Width: 1 3/4"
Neck Shape: RT Standard Carve
Binding: Ebony
Fretboard Inlay: None
Tuners: Gotoh Delta 510's
Case: Custom Ameritage R Taylor Signature Case

Did someone say TONE?!?!?!? Check this out!

Price: SOLDI'm open to trades plus cash or to reasonable offers.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 10-21-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sweet!

I have had a couple RT1s in cedar/Mahogany and they are VERY NICE! No doubt this is a stellar axe.

Here is my poop sheet on R.Taylor:

R.Taylor was a COMPLETELY SEPARATE COMPANY from Taylor guitars.

Bob Taylor selected Head Luthier Tim Luranc, and the half dozen luthiers of RT to show what they could do in a small shop.
Think Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Goodall, or maybe the Martin Custom Shop, etc! I toured the shop on the edge of the enormous Taylor campus in El Cajon, when custom ordering, and it was about the size of a four car garage.

R.T guitars took about three times longer to make than ANY Taylor, due to extensive individual voicing, tap tuning, and A LOT of handwork. Unfortunately they turned out to be in competition with Taylor's Build To Order and custom guitar programs. They ceased production at the end of 2011. I have it on good authority from the folks I know who worked at R.T. that if they ever start up production again the guitars will be a lot more expensive!

R.Taylor only made about 200 guitars a year for six years. In contrast the two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per day!

R.T.s have significant structural differences from any other Taylors. Among them, solid Kerfing resulting in extremely rigid sides, which allowed the top to be made lighter and braced lighter. That needs to be done by hand, resulting in more volume, and better tone!
Also, the "snake head" headstock yields smoother tuning due to a straighter string angle over the nut. The different bridge design has quite a bit less mass. And the Gotoh 510 tuners cannot be beat!

And Mike can not be beat either! Haha

Hope this helps and congrats to whoever winds up with this cutie!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 AM

I initially thought this was the RT Style 2 that I have owned a few years back, but then I remembered mine was a slotted headstock 12-fretter.
Regardless, I still clearly recall how delightful that cedar/hog RT was. It was a lightly built guitar that had lots of resonance, punchy and very responsive. It was a perfect couch guitar or for just noodling around. Someone's in for a treat! Mike's also one of the best guys you can deal with here in AGF!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Man, I like this one. In better days, I would have already sent the paypal.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

There are several people closing in on this one. If you have an interest, best to speak now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I have had a couple RT1s in cedar/Mahogany and they are VERY NICE! No doubt this is a stellar axe.

Here is my poop sheet on R.Taylor:

R.Taylor was a COMPLETELY SEPARATE COMPANY from Taylor guitars.

Bob Taylor selected Head Luthier Tim Luranc, and the half dozen luthiers of RT to show what they could do in a small shop.
Think Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Goodall, or maybe the Martin Custom Shop, etc! I toured the shop on the edge of the enormous Taylor campus in El Cajon, when custom ordering, and it was about the size of a four car garage.

R.T guitars took about three times longer to make than ANY Taylor, due to extensive individual voicing, tap tuning, and A LOT of handwork. Unfortunately they turned out to be in competition with Taylor's Build To Order and custom guitar programs. They ceased production at the end of 2011. I have it on good authority from the folks I know who worked at R.T. that if they ever start up production again the guitars will be a lot more expensive!

R.Taylor only made about 200 guitars a year for six years. In contrast the two Taylor factories turn out about 400 guitars per day!

R.T.s have significant structural differences from any other Taylors. Among them, solid Kerfing resulting in extremely rigid sides, which allowed the top to be made lighter and braced lighter. That needs to be done by hand, resulting in more volume, and better tone!
Also, the "snake head" headstock yields smoother tuning due to a straighter string angle over the nut. The different bridge design has quite a bit less mass. And the Gotoh 510 tuners cannot be beat!

And Mike can not be beat either! Haha

Hope this helps and congrats to whoever winds up with this cutie!!!

Cheers

Paul
Paul, Thanks for adding that RT stuff. So many people just don't have a clue what great guitars these are. I appreciate your contribution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
I initially thought this was the RT Style 2 that I have owned a few years back, but then I remembered mine was a slotted headstock 12-fretter.
Regardless, I still clearly recall how delightful that cedar/hog RT was. It was a lightly built guitar that had lots of resonance, punchy and very responsive. It was a perfect couch guitar or for just noodling around. Someone's in for a treat! Mike's also one of the best guys you can deal with here in AGF!
Thanks Rye! You described it well. Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
Man, I like this one. In better days, I would have already sent the paypal.
Thanks Joe, I appreciate your kind words. Hope your days get better!!

Last edited by invguy921; 10-20-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Very nice.

What would the closest comparable be to body size of the RT Style 2 in the current Taylor lineup?

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-21-2017, 05:56 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Very nice.

What would the closest comparable be to body size of the RT Style 2 in the current Taylor lineup?
Thanks for the question. The Style 2 is closest to the "X12" series...that would be the 912, 812, 712, etc. but in my opinion SOOO much more guitar. As Paul said, "R.T.s have significant structural differences from any other Taylors. Among them, solid Kerfing resulting in extremely rigid sides, which allowed the top to be made lighter and braced lighter." Also, "individual voicing, tap tuning, and A LOT of handwork." That handwork includes individually trimmed bracing, etc.

These are very well built instruments. Someone will love this one!!

ALSO, Here are a couple more pictures including the case....which I think is a key element with this guitar. Cases aren't discussed as much as they should be.

Solid Rosewood binding...lovely!! No plastic here...

I've always loved the Dark Green Heart Abalone on these. This makes they distinctive and lovely in a subtle but captivating way. Much much prettier in person!!

There are cases...and THEN there are these cases. Ameritage arguably builds some of the strongest and classiest cases on the market.

Last edited by invguy921; 10-21-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

SOLD!! Thanks AGF!!

Last edited by invguy921; 10-21-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars