The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
How did you like that LA custom OM, its seem like just the ticket?
Steve
Here's my review post from the CF forum:

Hey CF friends,

I finally got a chance to head over the LA Guitar Sales and try out Ted's new Rainsong LTD OM: the LA1-LE. This one has the hybrid b/s (for warmth) and the new unidirectional CO top (for more warmth and responsiveness) in an OM body. It also has a striking red rosette.

As I recently purchased my beloved S-OM, I was eager to compare. Ted and I spent several hours comparing the LTD to the S-OM and a classic OM.

The bottom line is that the LTD is a beautiful interpolation of the classic OM and the hybrids, making a fantastic all-around guitar. Certainly warmer all-around than the classic and more responsive than my S-OM.

In the end, my key decision was whether to upgrade to the LTD vs staying with my S-OM (no, I can't have both, please contact my wife if you disagree). If I didn't already own the S-OM, I'd very likely lean toward the higher-priced LTD, but the S-OM and I are a happy couple. In comparing their sounds, the most striking difference to me was that the LTD had beautiful rounded treble tones. On the other hand, when strummed, the S-OM sounded a bit more cozy and comfortable. If I was buying primarly for fingerstyle, the LTD was the clear winner. But for all-around playing/camping/singing guitar, I'm just fine with my S-OM.

Although I suppose the analogy is over-used, I couldn't help thinking that the relative tonal qualities of the LTD vs S-OM were reminiscent of rosewood vs mahogany, respectively. The LTD is round and overtone rich and the S-OM is dry and more fundamental. This was even more apparent to me when hearing Ted play each. But then this morning I came up with a better analogy. LTD = red wine, S-OM = beer. I love both, and prefer one or the other depending on my mood. For now, I'm just fine with a good beer, although I do keep pining for those beautiful trebles on the LTD.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Excellent review JD.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 AM

I just ordered a new Hybrid without electronics (H-WS1100N2) and had to become something of an expert about the new models in order to know what I wanted and to figure out what was available.

Within each model designation, the Hybrid and Studio are identical in every detail except for the finish. The Studio has the dull matte finish, the Hybrid has the high gloss finish. The Studio also comes with a gigbag, the Hybrid comes with a standard hardshell case. Although there were some early models that were designated as HS (Hybrid/Studio), they now can only be one or the other. The Hybrid name came about because of the mix of carbon graphite and glass fiber. Previous Rainsongs were just carbon graphite. Rainsong does claim the addition of glass fiber mellows the sound a bit, even using it as a sales pitch since many think their guitars are on the bright side. I believe it helped lower the cost also.

Both models come with the new N2 neck, which is a little beefier and was my main concern as I have really small hands. Alas, it is truly a comfortable neck and I was able to play it with the same dexterity as my present guitars.

It should arrive in about 4 weeks and I can't wait.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 AM

Very cool, bottom line is that they are making superb guitars right now and whatever way you go you will have a great guitar. Give a review when you get it.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicland View Post

It should arrive in about 4 weeks and I can't wait.
Congrats on the new carbon guitar but why are you waiting four weeks? If your dealer doesn't have one you might want to contact LA Guitar Sales, last week they had a wall covered in Rainsongs. Either way do let us know what you think of it once you have it for a while.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
Here's my review post from the CF forum:

Hey CF friends,

I finally got a chance to head over the LA Guitar Sales and try out Ted's new Rainsong LTD OM: the LA1-LE. This one has the hybrid b/s (for warmth) and the new unidirectional CO top (for more warmth and responsiveness) in an OM body. It also has a striking red rosette.

As I recently purchased my beloved S-OM, I was eager to compare. Ted and I spent several hours comparing the LTD to the S-OM and a classic OM.

The bottom line is that the LTD is a beautiful interpolation of the classic OM and the hybrids, making a fantastic all-around guitar. Certainly warmer all-around than the classic and more responsive than my S-OM.

In the end, my key decision was whether to upgrade to the LTD vs staying with my S-OM (no, I can't have both, please contact my wife if you disagree). If I didn't already own the S-OM, I'd very likely lean toward the higher-priced LTD, but the S-OM and I are a happy couple. In comparing their sounds, the most striking difference to me was that the LTD had beautiful rounded treble tones. On the other hand, when strummed, the S-OM sounded a bit more cozy and comfortable. If I was buying primarly for fingerstyle, the LTD was the clear winner. But for all-around playing/camping/singing guitar, I'm just fine with my S-OM.

Although I suppose the analogy is over-used, I couldn't help thinking that the relative tonal qualities of the LTD vs S-OM were reminiscent of rosewood vs mahogany, respectively. The LTD is round and overtone rich and the S-OM is dry and more fundamental. This was even more apparent to me when hearing Ted play each. But then this morning I came up with a better analogy. LTD = red wine, S-OM = beer. I love both, and prefer one or the other depending on my mood. For now, I'm just fine with a good beer, although I do keep pining for those beautiful trebles on the LTD.

JD
How do you like your S-OM? I'm thinking of getting one, but I'm also thinking of getting the LTD...
Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks for posting. I have little or no experience w/ carbon guitars.
I find their many good qualities appealing and hope local guitar shops get some in to try.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelch View Post
How do you like your S-OM? I'm thinking of getting one, but I'm also thinking of getting the LTD...
I'm not sure what to add to my review, but I'm very much enamored with my S-OM. I think it is an outstanding all-around guitar - super comfortable, resonant, great sustain, and warmer than the classic Rainsongs. The trebles stand out more to me as non-woody, but this rectifies somewhat as they break in.

I think the S-OM is great for fingerpicking and particularly for pop/strumming. Solid too for mellow instrumental fingerstyle, but for that I generally prefer my GC8. I'm keen for Rainsong to produce a short scale guitar that may suit me well for fingerstyle. Although I ostensibly bought it as my beater, it has truly become my all-around favorite, and most people I play it for are very impressed with the sound.

The LTD uses the CO top, which is very responsive and warm, and also has electronics. So maybe not such a "beater", but a great guitar to have in its own right.

If I were you, I'd get over to Ted's some day to compare them. Seems like you're close enough.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM

JD, can we start a Rainsong OM1000 appreciation society. We have been going back and forth between this forum and the Carbon Guitar forum singing its praises. I played mine again last night and just find myself not wanting to play any other guitar. I have played for a long time and have quite a few guitars but this little guitar has worked its way into becoming my number one acoustic and I got it for a trade and some cash. They just are so comfortable, so loud and so responsive. It really continues to amaze me.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
JD, can we start a Rainsong OM1000 appreciation society.
Count me in.
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 07-11-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
Congrats on the new carbon guitar but why are you waiting four weeks? If your dealer doesn't have one you might want to contact LA Guitar Sales, last week they had a wall covered in Rainsongs. Either way do let us know what you think of it once you have it for a while.
Fair question. There are no Rainsong dealers anywhere near me and I had to check out the N2 neck before considering a purchase. Traveling from PA to MA, I decided to detour to Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island (not an easy detour I found out). I spent a bit of time checking out the Rainsong and other guitars and it's a great shop with really good people and they gave me a good price. When I check out gear at a shop, I'm not gonna turn around and buy it somewhere else online. Mando spent the time and effort showing me it was the guitar for me so they deserve the sale.

BTW, I was quite familiar with the special OM Ted at LA Guitars did with Rainsong, a really stunning guitar. The deal breaker for me was that I really wanted a WS, not an OM. The extra inch or two of depth on the WS body really produced a stronger bass response that I had to have.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicland View Post
I spent a bit of time checking out the Rainsong and other guitars and it's a great shop with really good people and they gave me a good price. When I check out gear at a shop, I'm not gonna turn around and buy it somewhere else online. Mando spent the time and effort showing me it was the guitar for me so they deserve the sale.
Well said and well done!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
My Rainsong Hybrid WS1000 (without electronics) showed up this week and it is wonderful, it's everything I was hoping for. It sounds and plays fantastic and it's so light. Look for my NGD post with pictures real soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber