The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 PM

Default who's playing a carbon Brunner ?

GAS attack here...
Anybody can share experience with an carbon fiber Outdoor Brunner ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 AM

Nobody really plays a carbon Brunner ?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 AM

Brunner's are pretty rare, the carbon ones rarer still, so it is not that surprising that you haven't received a reply. I would be interested too! On the other hand, I was just playing my spruce/mahogany Brunner OG here in my hotel room in Boston and was thinking how much I like the sound. It is one of the few that would work for my travel, given that it has to fit under the seat since I use carryon luggage that takes my fair share of the overhead space. Which it does on any plane I have been on, even (just barely ) in the really narrow spaces under the aisle seats (why are they so narrow anyhow?).
Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Lukas Brunner has a couple more (maybe 3) carbons in his shop, all the rest are wood. He's not scheduled to begin taking new orders until the end of the year or early next year because of other major projects he's finishing.

But he is still shipping orders from his existing finished stock of outdoor wood models. I'm sure he'd talk to you about his carbon models if you email or call him. He does incredible "Swiss quality" work.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM

It's a beautiful guitar, BUT the fretboard is wood. Thus the guitar would still require humidification.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the answer...
I had Lukas make me a custom full scale Brunner 3 years ago and this is a superlative instrument, so I'm well aware of the quality of his work.

He just asked me some days ago to use some of my You Tubes videos where I play that guitar, and... we exchange some more mails, and now I find myself just gassing for one of his few carbon guitars left... (I'm toying with those carbon guitars since a long time, though)
This is *not* a reasonable decision for me to buy one, so I was looking for opinions.
To buy or not to buy, that is the question. Classic GAS case.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Since you have one of his full scale guitars (I envy you!) you probably know the carbon guitars he has made were intentionally made travel size and the bodies are small. The sound will not match what you have at home, though it's very nice for its size. I do not recall that he had measurements for the CF models on his website, but whatever his smallest wood outdoor models are, I think they will be similar.

The fretboard being wood hasn't changed. The bridge is also wood. There is a reason he didn't make them CF at this time, but I do not recall why. His primary love is making wood guitars.

Still, the overall strength of CF is there where it needs to be and when disassembled, it is a very small package, much smaller than the Voyage Air, for example. Being able to swap multiple necks is also a unique feature.

BTW, Lukas also plays very well himself and is a gracious host to visitors. You'd be amazed at all the high level skills he has beyond and unrelated to his luthier abilities. I believe he is also the only builder who can produce professional quality instruments either totally of wood or of carbon fiber (minus the fretboard for now.)
Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

There was a thread somewhere and article somewhere that explains why Lukas did not build a CF neck for its CF body guitars. Similar to Rainsong, everytime they introduce something new such as their necks N1, N2 or short scale, it is a very expensive process.

I have two brunner and i prefer the full size model. At 14.5 inch lower bout it's tone is as full and big as my Taylor GA.

The ultimate travel guitar for me would be a full CF guitar built based on Brunner's full size model (lower bout 14.5 inch). Hence you have the durability of a Rainsong/Blackbird/CA/Emerald, the portability of a Brunner due to the removable neck, and the sound of a GA size guitar. Even if this is possible, i sense this will carry a huge price tag under the Brunner banner.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
The ultimate travel guitar for me would be a full CF guitar built based on Brunner's full size model (lower bout 14.5 inch). Hence you have the durability of a Rainsong/Blackbird/CA/Emerald, the portability of a Brunner due to the removable neck, and the sound of a GA size guitar. Even if this is possible, i sense this will carry a huge price tag under the Brunner banner.
I hear you loud and clear (since I am lucky to play a full size already)
The Brunner carbon model are small body only.
I'm suspecting (but it's only speculation) a solid blues/rag candidate when used acoustically, which would suit me just fine, and since I'm always using a magnetic PU on all my guitars, it could well be more widely useful, too, when amped.
But at 2300 or 2500 swiss francs (full neck or small neck), plus shipping and taxes, I'm wondering.
Hence my question. I would be happy with some infos from someone who has (and play) one.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
There was a thread somewhere and article somewhere that explains why Lukas did not build a CF neck for its CF body guitars. Similar to Rainsong, everytime they introduce something new such as their necks N1, N2 or short scale, it is a very expensive process. . . . . .
Actually, the detachable neck and headstock are one piece carbon fiber. It was not a problem for him and it is beautiful. Just the wood fretboard portion is glued on to the neck. He'll send you a group of about 50 photos of his CF variations if you write him. He made some with wood necks and others with CF. Many variations in the past.

So the only thing that he has not made from carbon fiber is the bridge and the fretboard. Therefore, if it overall strength and durability you need in a Brunner, it is already possible. Maybe someday he will decide to do the remaining fretboard and bridge also.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

I personally would not recommend the small body even if its a CF body. I did not like the tone coming from the steel string neck, i am still experimenting with different strings and tunings and still haven't found a preference yet. I have two pickup installed with different jacks (lr Baggs and K&K mini) didn't like it too no matter played as a single source or blend. May be magnetic pickup may work better.

The nylon string neck on the other hand, I like, on the small body. So this has ended up my main neck instead.

IMO, Brunner's Flying top concept is already quite lightly braced making it quite a loud and responsive guitar for its size. I don't think a CF top will add any more to the tone and projection other than increased sustain and durability.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog

Last edited by pandaroo; 12-01-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
. . . . . . IMO, Brunner's Flying top concept is already quite lightly braced making it quite a loud and responsive guitar for its size. I don't think a CF top will add any more to the tone and projection other than increased sustain and durability.
I listened to both his CF and wood model of the same size, one after another. I believe you are correct and recall that the wood is louder and even more responsive than the CF, even though the CF is very nice. Usually, all things equal, CF will project more volume, but not in this case.

This is not surprising because of his innovative Flying top and his love for building wood in general. Even though he has made a fair number of CF guitars, it really is only a handful when compared with the number of wood guitars he has made.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber