The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

If a player is looking for an all-around guitar, I suggest a RainSong CO-WS1000N2, which is in a similar utility category as a Taylor x14ce Model, in that it's good for fingerstyle and flatpicking. The CO-WS1000N2 has a thin, unidirectional carbon fiber top and a truss-rod adjustable neck. This guitar is a featherweight, a very dynamic and responsive tonal cannon and should be thought of as being in the build category of fine single-luthier wood guitars except it shouldn't ever self-destruct now or decades from now. For about $2200 to $2400, depending on dealer street price, a player can have an almost carefree, take anywhere, super-toned acoustic-electric guitar that'll spark the ears and interest of listeners wherever it's played.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-25-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Rainsongs are very nice, but the sound is a little artificial "to me".

I like wood...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post

I like wood...........
I like wood too but I also like the unique tone of carbon-fiber-based guitars. To me, carbon fiber tone doesn't sound artificial but sounds like there's an extra dimension to the tone in the upper mid-range and the treble frequencies, which wood doesn't have. Carbon fiber guitars are nice to own because a player has a professional tone that can be taken anywhere with minimal maintenance.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I like wood too but I also like the unique tone of carbon-fiber-based guitars. To me, carbon fiber tone doesn't sound artificial but sounds like there's an extra dimension to the tone in the upper mid-range and the treble frequencies, which wood doesn't have. Carbon fiber guitars are nice to own because a player has a professional tone that can be taken anywhere with minimal maintenance.

Regards,

SpruceTop
No problem. If I were young and touring again I would consider a Rainsong.

I do not like the tone as much as wood, and I like warm and woody, not that upper mid/treble emphasis that somewhat reminds me of Taylors, just not my thing in any guitar, composite or wood.

David Wilcox plays an Olson and Rainsong, and he's one of my favorites, but he had his Rainsong for a purpose (touring/weather), he records with his Olson.

Every tool has a purpose, for my needs I'll stick with wood....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwskaggs View Post
A few months back I had GAS for a Rainsong dread, and Ted at LAGuitarsales couldn't have been more helpful. He actually A / B'd an OM and a dread over the phone for me, and of course I chose the dread without really knowing for sure which was which. (You know of course, they are one of the AGF sponsors)

I also opted for no electronics and had a K&K Pure Western Mini installed locally. I couldn't be more pleased! I've got the action set even lower than Rainsong's (I asked Ted to send me the lowest one in stock for fingerstyle), and I added a stabilized bone saddle.

The H-DR1100 N2 is very responsive and can be a huge sound with a heavy pick, but responds to very light fingerstyle for me. It's fun to feel the vibrations all the way through the body!

BTW, the high gloss is a worthwhile $100 option - cleans off very easily with a microfiber cloth.
You chose the right dealer, no one knows more about carbon guitars or has made a more serious commitment to them than Ted, and you description of the Rainsong dread is spot on. Sure, they don't sound like wood just as mahogany doesn't sound like rosewood, but if you have an open mind they will reward you unsurpassed clarity, note separation, and rich overtones.

BTW, looks like they are working on a new model: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=228454
Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridgian View Post
I have wanted a carbon fibre guitar for some time but the Rainsong dealership here in the UK is not really established.They don't stock models and they don't publish prices. This means that they will import from the states to order adding shipping of approx £80, import duty of around £150 and VAT at 20%. This makes it a really expensive guitar for what it is. Well, I have just found a company in Ireland which is in the EU so no import duty that make, what looks like, excellent carbon fibre guitars called Emerald. They have a good range and offer a 10 day refund/returns period if you pay carriage. I think I will give it a try and go for the X30 electro/acoustic jumbo. There is a 4 - 6 weeks lead time so I will order in a few weeks for Christmas. Shipping is cheap as well. http://www.emeraldguitars.com It just occured to me that this post sounds like an advert..... it's not. I don't have any affiliation to them.... just passing on the information for those on the UK side of the pond.
Cheers
Ian
You should check out the MacNichol forum for a ton of info on Rainsongs, Emeralds, Blackbirds, CAs and more. http://macnichol.com/forum You'll find many videos with many different types of playing styles playing almost every model that exists. The Emeralds will be perfect for you without the import cost addition. Great sounding guitars and Alistair can customize many different ways. Options such as truss rods, electronics, different tuners and more can be requested.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard man View Post
I have never played one but I think I remember seeing a Limited Rainsong available from Musiciansfriend that had frog inlays on it a few months back. It was really just a gorgeous guitar and if I had any need for something that pricey, i would've been all over it.

Trying to find a link for it but not having any luck.
Frogs? Do you mean sharks?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:58 PM
some guy from NY

love my J-1000

Last edited by 3rd_harmonic; 09-26-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Bought my CO WS1000N2 from Ted about 6 months ago. Ted talked me into the CO, his favorite. The pictures online do not do this guitar justice. When I opened the case for the first time I was blown away at how pretty this guitar was. Yes, I said pretty! The solid black, high-gloss urethane finish, with the gorgeous Abalone rosette really is awesome.
Everything about this guitar is "slippery". The neck, and body are so glossy smooth. The fretboard is like silk. You can't just lean this guitar up against the couch or chair because it will slip under itself because there are no sharp edges and again..... slippery smooth.
I fly for a living so I have already traveled a lot with this guitar. It now pretty much lives in my van in Hawaii which I use weekly on my layovers. Every time I return to it, the guitar is in tune and ready to play. No worries about temp and or humidity.
As far as tone, I actually like the crystal-like, smooth, powerful tone.

I highly recommend RS guitars.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
You should check out the MacNichol forum for a ton of info on Rainsongs, Emeralds, Blackbirds, CAs and more. http://macnichol.com/forum You'll find many videos with many different types of playing styles playing almost every model that exists. The Emeralds will be perfect for you without the import cost addition. Great sounding guitars and Alistair can customize many different ways. Options such as truss rods, electronics, different tuners and more can be requested.

Many thanks for that.

Ian
Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post

I like wood...........
I recently played a Rainsong DR1000. I was VERY skeptical at first. I mean come on, I have softball bats made out of this stuff! Initially I was very impressed by the sound and playability...until I wasn't anymore. I found that once you get over the initial shock of such a good sound coming out of a non-traditionally built instrument the sound can get "fatiguing" after a while and you start noticing it's shortcomings. To my ears, it was extremely bright and a bit sterile. Perhaps with different strings it might settle down, but I agree I prefer wood.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 AM

For those who aren't crazy about the sound of composite guitars, don't give up just yet. I haven't played them, so can't comment personally, but I have read some very good things about some of the new Rainsong models. People have said that their new hybrid models are much warmer (woodier?) sounding. Furthermore, their unidirectional top (available as an option on most if not all models) supposedly is much warmer.

However, if you really want the advantages of a carbon fiber guitar, but don't want it to sound artificial, check out some of the CA models. CA is the only CF guitar manufacturer who uses braces. They're not needed for structural integrity, but they do help the guitars sound more traditional. Their dreadnoughts (Legacy model) sound darn near like wood guitars, particularly the vintage version. Peavey is not producing the Legacy models just yet, but they should be coming. I'm told the GX also sounds very wood-like.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 AM
some guy from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
For those who aren't crazy about the sound of composite guitars, don't give up just yet. I haven't played them, so can't comment personally, but I have read some very good things about some of the new Rainsong models. People have said that their new hybrid models are much warmer (woodier?) sounding. Furthermore, their unidirectional top (available as an option on most if not all models) supposedly is much warmer.

However, if you really want the advantages of a carbon fiber guitar, but don't want it to sound artificial, check out some of the CA models. CA is the only CF guitar manufacturer who uses braces. They're not needed for structural integrity, but they do help the guitars sound more traditional. Their dreadnoughts (Legacy model) sound darn near like wood guitars, particularly the vintage version. Peavey is not producing the Legacy models just yet, but they should be coming. I'm told the GX also sounds very wood-like.
As long as people only want the sound of wood, carbon guitars will have second class sound. Their tone has a beauty of their own though. It just has not been developed as long... nor have many songs been written that take full advantage of this crystalline tone.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_harmonic View Post
As long as people only want the sound of wood, carbon guitars will have second class sound. Their tone has a beauty of their own though. It just has not been developed as long... nor have many songs been written that take full advantage of this crystalline tone.
I suspect from this statement that you have never played or heard any of the CA guitars. CA guitars use bracing to achieve tone that (depending on the model) can be very woody. These guitars do not have "crystalline" tone; they sound like regular guitars. I would be very surprised if more than 1% of guitarists could identify my CA Vintage Performer (same as vintage Legacy) as a carbon fiber guitar. It really does sound like a wood guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber