The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 AM

Default Refinishing the Fine Texture (FT) Rainsong finish

Has anyone refinished the FT finish on a Rainsong? I am thinking of sanding down mine and having it painted.
Gretch Resonator
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM

I suggest a call directly to Rainsong for advice. We can speculate here on the forum, but they would know whether this is a good idea or not. There is a certain amount of love for the RT finish around the forums. You might be better off leaving well enough alone, and trading with someone who has a smoother finsihed version.

I know of a couple of older thin-bodied Rainsongs that have been sitting in the big guitar store in Anchorage for years. They have a heavy coat of metallic paint (one silver, one maroon) and sound terrible acoustically - dead and "thunky", very uncharacteristic for CF guitars. Even when marked down substantially, this store cannot seem to move these two instruments, whereas regular Rainsongs move OK from there. These two probably sound fine plugged in, but apparently no one has gotten to that point. If you proceed, be careful not to overdo it with paint and clear-coat.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Interesting. I really dont like the painted CF guitars anyway. Maybe i should just sand down the rough finish and buff it smooth?
Gretch Resonator
Old 05-22-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindonn View Post
Has anyone refinished the FT finish on a Rainsong? I am thinking of sanding down mine and having it painted.
Check Rainsong but there was some discussion on the Carbon Guitar Forum that you may be able to pick up on asking that same question some time ago.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 05-25-2015, 07:10 AM

dkoloff,
That could have been me on the Carbon Fiber forum. I did broach the subject there too.
A couple years a got i got a great deal on a Rainsong OM with the FT finish from a guitar store that was going out of business. I got it for a bit less than half price! I didn't like the finish but i bought it anyway. I think what i might do is have my luthier friend remove the neck and bridge and sand it down and see what i get. I have talked to a custom paint shop about painting it and they said it would be no problem. It might be cool to have a custom paint job or just a gloss overcoat. I'm in no hurry so this might take a while.
On a positive note... I do like the fact that the FT finish makes the guitar not slip off my leg when playing. Maybe just refinish the top?
Donn
Gretch Resonator
Old 05-27-2015, 04:16 PM

Donn, I don't think Rainsong can help you and I also don't think you should have anyone remove the neck. FYI, the FT finish has been discontinued, and there are plenty of folks who like it so might consider putting it up for sale. If you want to try to refinish it, than I would suggest masking the neck instead of attempting to remove it.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Guest 928

Listen to Ted!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 PM

Yes, listen to Ted. Everything he said makes sense. Some folks like the FT finish and might be willing to trade with you. I cringed when you talked about removing the neck and bridge. I'm pretty sure they are attached with epoxy so that won't be easy, and fraught with risk. Sounds like a great way to ruin a really good guitar.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 PM

Mostly thinking out loud here. I doubt if i would actually get around to sanding it down. Although, I have tried a buffer wheel (lightly) but it had no effect at all. Maybe a trade would be the thing to do.
Thanks for all the input/insight!
Gretch Resonator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber