The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-12-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Getting my music heard by people

I have written a lot of songs lately, and I could perform them live ( I use my loop pedal in some performances ) and I want people to hear the songs I've written.

I'm still a young person ( Age 14 ) and already written more than 20 songs. Some of you might say " This 14 yo kid has 20 horrible songs " since some of you might think I'm too young to. But I know myself that I wrote them from my heart and mind.

The thing is, how do I get people to hear my music? I've been producing songs lately with my mates but I have nowhere to put them to. Will soundcloud, youtube, etc. get me anywhere? I know it takes a long time for numerous people to hear the music I make, but where should I start?

I'm still too young to perform gigs and I still don't have much time to. Can someone clearly explain the steps and challanges to a successful music career?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:55 AM

You are certainly not too young to start performing! In fact most here would recommend you get started - the more experience you get the better you will be.
As to the time factor - you have to be the one to decide you want to do this. You can't play baseball, hang out at the beach, ride your bike around town, play video games, watch tv, do homework, etc as much if you are going to dedicate yourself to music - there's only so much time in each day. You have to decide which activities are the most important to you and make the time for them.

You can put your tunes onto Soundcloud, Youtube, Bandcamp, Reverbnation - but you have to do the promotion - spread the word, post the links, etc.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You are certainly not too young to start performing! In fact most here would recommend you get started - the more experience you get the better you will be.
As to the time factor - you have to be the one to decide you want to do this. You can't play baseball, hang out at the beach, ride your bike around town, play video games, watch tv, do homework, etc as much if you are going to dedicate yourself to music - there's only so much time in each day. You have to decide which activities are the most important to you and make the time for them.

You can put your tunes onto Soundcloud, Youtube, Bandcamp, Reverbnation - but you have to do the promotion - spread the word, post the links, etc.
I really want to perform a gig but It's difficult to find gigs in my location that allow my age to perform.

I've been spending my days writing, producing, playing songs and being a musician is my only dream. Now I am ready to release them and let people here it.

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate them, I'll be looking forward in posting my music in those websites.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:05 AM

Default Getting my music heard by people

I've produced songs but they don't really sound as great as the acoustic ones, Is it okay to start with acoustic songs then as I move on, the music production improves?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:51 PM

Of course, always best to start at the beginning! Besides this forum, there are forums for songwriting (try musesongwriters.com/forums/), forums for recording (try homerecording.com) where you can ask for critiques and suggestions.

As to gigs - where are you located? There are often open mics set up in coffee shops and restaurants where teens are permitted.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Guest4562

I started gigging at 14. Mine were at school functions and private parties. In the summer there are bake sales and fire department sponsored outdoor events where you can play, just approach the sponsoring organizations. It also helps to make friends with other musicians, there must be dozens in your school; network.

As to your originals: Let's say they are all tremendous. People don't know them. The average listener wants to hear what he knows If you have twenty songs, learn twenty covers and make every other song an original. Make a CD of your originals and distribute it at your gigs. People can then come to know your material and the next time they see you they'll recognize your songs. Put up a Musician/Band Facebook page where you can keep people aware of your gigs and you can post links to your songs on YouTube, Soundcloud, etc.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:43 PM

When you put any online, post a link here! We'd all love to hear them. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:00 PM

Question.....

Brixton stated he had written about 20 songs or more. Would copyright protection (or similar) be suggested before they get put online for the public to hear?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Of course, always best to start at the beginning! Besides this forum, there are forums for songwriting (try musesongwriters.com/forums/), forums for recording (try homerecording.com) where you can ask for critiques and suggestions.

As to gigs - where are you located? There are often open mics set up in coffee shops and restaurants where teens are permitted.
Thanks for the sites, already made an account in each website.

I live in the Philippines. I've been finding open mic set ups since last week.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I started gigging at 14. Mine were at school functions and private parties. In the summer there are bake sales and fire department sponsored outdoor events where you can play, just approach the sponsoring organizations. It also helps to make friends with other musicians, there must be dozens in your school; network.

As to your originals: Let's say they are all tremendous. People don't know them. The average listener wants to hear what he knows If you have twenty songs, learn twenty covers and make every other song an original. Make a CD of your originals and distribute it at your gigs. People can then come to know your material and the next time they see you they'll recognize your songs. Put up a Musician/Band Facebook page where you can keep people aware of your gigs and you can post links to your songs on YouTube, Soundcloud, etc.
I'll find venues where I can gig, but for the meantime, all I got is youtube, soundcloud, etc. I couldn't yet distribute CDs. Is it okay to start off without gigging but ill post my songs and covers in youtube, soundcloud, etc.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
Question.....

Brixton stated he had written about 20 songs or more. Would copyright protection (or similar) be suggested before they get put online for the public to hear?

it's never a bad idea, but i believe (don't quote me on this), that since he would have a date stamp on his material, he would at least have a verifiable example of his work.

i'm sure that wouldn't be nearly as rock solid as a legitimate copyright, and it is probably different in various states/countries. he can check local laws to be sure.

he can do a package copyright of the existing library.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 AM

Everyone thinks their original songs are the next world-wide hit stuff. In reality - who is going to hear them, and who would actually steal them? Someone thinks one of my songs is good enough to steal? I'm flattered!

As to copywriting songs in the Phillipines - check your government office for the info, every country is different.

To the OP's question, of course you can start putting your music on websites, before you start performing them live.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Someone thinks one of my songs is good enough to steal? I'm flattered!
Me too! OTOH, in the very unlikely event someone actually takes one of my songs and has a hit with it, I have plenty of evidence of ownership. So I'm not worried, steal away. But I am surprised at this news story. Did these guys just notice the similarities?
Old 05-01-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton View Post
I really want to perform a gig but It's difficult to find gigs in my location that allow my age to perform.

I've been spending my days writing, producing, playing songs and being a musician is my only dream. Now I am ready to release them and let people here it.

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate them, I'll be looking forward in posting my music in those websites.
I agree with MikeBmusic except get fast and efficient at the homework, don't skip it. Remember the music business is as much about business as it is about music. To succeed you will need the skills to promote yourself, arrange gigs, buy and sell CDs, sell songs in multiple formats as technology changes, understand contracts, track your income and expenses and all the other stuff that goes with running any business. The main difference is that what you are selling is an enjoyable experience for your customers listening to you instead of some sort of thing or service. Also, remember if you are hired to gig your real customer is whoever hired you. They are hiring you to enhance their business so they can sell more food, drinks, tickets or whatever else they are selling. Help them with that and they will continue to hire you and recommend you to their friends. The world is full of good musicians who did not have the business skills to survive and who had to get a job doing something else to earn a living. Don't be one of them.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Everyone thinks their original songs are the next world-wide hit stuff. In reality - who is going to hear them, and who would actually steal them? Someone thinks one of my songs is good enough to steal? I'm flattered!
boy did you nail it!!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD