The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-14-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Jamm'n Jitters

I just came back from my first public Jammin session that this beer joint holds every Thursday night. They have a 5 hour session and it's free, and beer refills are steady and free. What I was looking for. All the guys, 25 in all, were 50 years old plus and had a good knowledge of classic country. The voices were at my quality(Mmmff), and 2 could probably sell CD's if they wanted. There were roughly 10 accoustics and maybe an electric, one manodlin, a banjo and fiddle. These were pros. All had amps. I went there bringing my 12 str only, which was just setup by my shop tuned an hour before to standard tuning. I tested on a tune before going to the session. No mic or amp(mistake).

The way it worked was they would go around in a circle each getting his turn, so I waited 1/2hr to play. When my turn came I told them the key and someone loaned me his mic. I started to play, but then the electronics came in, and I was drowned out by (do the math... maybe 300 watts?). I couldn't hear myself sing, which is what you need to gauge your quality. My bare finger pickin wasn't heard a lick. My poor 12str couldn't compete with all the accentuated accoustics, but I can tell there was something wrong before I ended.

Finally the guy next to me, a regular, said I should use a capo and gave me the same old speal about tuning down and all that, which he said explained the performance. He said they were all tuned on another scale, all of them were accustomed to. I said thanks. I felt like saying that the performer calls the shots for the accompaniment, and they adjust to the performer. (I strummed a beginning chord to set the tone, so they knew and probably didn't care.) It calls for the accompaniement to remain silent if they can't cut it. In fact, when the first guys were playing, I would stop and drop out if I didn't recognize anything. When I got home I rechecked the guitar thinking he may be right. No, I was right on and I played like a gem(even if I say so myself).

My impression:

1/ Too loud. Every guy came with his amp which on average ranged no more than 30Amp. The total DB's had me wishing I brought my ear plugs to mask out some of it. But I can understand the entertainment value to the bar. There were tables near so the customers could enjoy(hence the free beer for the orchestra). There was quite a crowd.
2/ No time outs to adjust. The opportunities to just tweek your instrument, sound quality, and auditory tune was lacking like you would do with the guys at home. (I felt the urge to go to the can, but not for what you think, just so I can get some quiet, and recheck my stuff).
3/I think for a bare accoustic, in consideration maybe one amp could be designated. The guy that's performing gets to have the better volume and sound tweeking. Everyone else should consider his contribution proportionately, and own up to maybe not measuring up.

I got the impression they were gigging and not really jammin, which is OK since few of us amatures get called. A distribution system would be better with a splitter and maybe 2 large amps set to low volume which would cut the clutter. Everyone leave their boomers at home. (A DB meter could be used or have everyone set their volume to a maximum allowed). So unless you find yourself in the back room of these places with a bunch of guys, your there for a gig.

I'll be going back, but this time I'll be better armed. I may even play all my stuff before the gang arrives, at least some of the customers will remember what I am capable of and know immediately what the problem is later.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:27 PM

I belong to a weekly jam where there can be anywhere from 20-40 guitars, banjo, mando, whatever. One issue we have is some folks like to play like people in the next town need to hear them. I agree the player that is up should call the shots. I really like the group I belong to but with that many people you're lucky to get one turn. A few of us get together during the week. I like a small group of 4-5. Any chance to play I'm in but I like smaller groups.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 PM

Sounds like a miracle ear testing group to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Open mics with a stage band are not the set up at every open mic.

I have a few songs that are loads of fun when I can have an insta-band. Early on I made a mistake of asking the house band to let me run solo; that's not what the beer-drinking (money spending) customers came to hear.

There are exceptions but not many.

Coffee shops often run open mics that draw a more attentive audience and don't have the room or need for big amplifier setups.

Keep looking around and as you meet other musicians of like spirit and skill, consider hosting an acoustic jam for three or four folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-14-2017, 07:50 PM

If there are more than 10 players in a song circle/jam that's too many for me. And in the song circles/jams in my area there are no amps or PA's (but at a bar I can see maybe). If everyone has their own amp it becomes a volume war and spirals into a cluster. Finally these guys are not pros if they won't back off/lay back for a singer or someone taking a lead. I've gone to some of my local jams and just turned around and walked out if I see more than 10 players.

We have some great players in our two local bluegrass organizations. Some play and sing very quietly. We all just back way off or even sit out when they call the tune. Being able to "play well with others" is a skill that many never really try to learn.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Keep looking around and as you meet other musicians of like spirit and skill, consider hosting an acoustic jam for three or four folks.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In dad's generation on our dairy farm, everyone knew how to play something. I recall the dances in the orchard and my uncles would play a mandolin,fiddle and harmonica. Great fun, but there all gone now and none of my cousins learned to play anything. The scene in Johnny Cash movie(Phoenix and Witherspoon) where they practiced gospel on the front porch was what I would consider jammin.

I thought of having a bunch of guys over to play is a good idea, but I would prefer to have close friends in my home. I'm a bit leary these days. It's a different generation out there. Searching joints and asking around is the best option. There's a few vet places I can try that are pretty dead on peek nights.

It may be my groups singing that nails the coffin, or, it does it good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write