The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 AM

Default ??? UST install under a "long" saddle.

I need to install a PU on a guitar that has a long saddle. I realize there are many sound board type PU but of the options I have heard for solo instrumentals, I like dual sources with a UST.

My biggest question: with the UST shorter than the saddle, it seems a UST will cause the edges of the long saddle to be exposed since the saddle will be slightly raised by the PU. I realize this may be more of an aethetics thing but I would like to here any info you may have.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
I was told by Marty at the Podium that a UST would not work for my Gibson AJ with the long (open ended) saddle. Is that what you have or is it just a longer than normal saddle that sits in a saddle groove in the bridge? If it is an open ended saddle like on the Gibson AJ's, I would guess that Marty is correct. I had a K & K mini western put in my AJ and love it.
Hi guys,

It can be done, but it requires a bit of skill. The 2 ways to install a UST under an open ended saddle are to either route a slot for the pickup in the saddle slot allowing the PU to be set in but with an exposure of about .015" - .020" in height to allow proper pressure from the saddle. If you're careful with your measurements this will not expose enough space at the ends of the saddle to be noticed. The other way is for you to notch the pickup cavity in the bottom of the saddle, again leaving about .015" -
.020" for the pickup to stick out. This creates a kind of a violin bridge effect where the saddle ends up with a foot at either end that rest on or very close to the saddle slot. The .015" - .020" is an estimate depending on the pickup height and the integrity of the slot. It's not easy but it can be done.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:25 PM

It is a thru saddle. As I recall, the saddle slot in the bridge is slightly recessed or undercut rather than having a flat groove. This may provide relief for a UST.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification