The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-15-2017, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

I enjoyed reading this thread. We all hit the wall or plateau and sometimes it's difficult to figure out how to progress. For me, taking a couple of days off, or leaving my guitar at home when I travel rekindles my passion and makes me anxious to try something new.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I enjoyed reading this thread. We all hit the wall or plateau and sometimes it's difficult to figure out how to progress. For me, taking a couple of days off, or leaving my guitar at home when I travel rekindles my passion and makes me anxious to try something new.
Hi Paul, thanks for the reminder. That usually works for me, too. Most of my absences are forced, maybe I should take a couple of days off once in a while "just because". I will be guitar-less for a week at the end of the month, I'm interested to see how it goes when I return.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-15-2017, 05:04 PM

Sounds like you've become disenchanted with exercise. I can't fault you for that. Finger picking is intrinsically rewarding though so give much favor to the patience and tolerance it needs. I started out similarly with a book of chords and a book explaining Travis Style picking (Mel Bay). I learned with them on an ax-handled Yamaha FG230 12-string. So, yes, my experience was definitely uphill to/from school in a snow storm both directions. That was 1973 so my memories of frustrations are all lost to time. Stick with it and it will pay off. From what you're describing you're right around the corner from becoming fluid.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:55 PM

It sometimes helps me when I just can't get through a new piece without a few random mistakes to start by playing the last measure or two. When I can do that three times without a mistake, I'll back up one or two more bars & play through to the end, three mistake free efforts & I back up a few more bars, keep doing this until you are starting from the beginning.
For me, this seems to get me through the stage where I crash & burn as I get close to the end of the song, probably because as I get closer to the end, I have practiced those parts the most.
It also helps me to just randomly pick out 3 or 4 bars somewhere in a piece & play them - that gets me used to playing the music without requiring it to be " in the context" of the whole song.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Smile Update

OP here. Turns out my problem was probably more of a temporary plateau than a true wall. I am now playing Hanson's simple arrangement of Freight Train cleanly almost every time, without thinking about where my fingers go next. While chatting with my wife or watching TV, even.

And I have started to sense the thumb as an independent "unit" not tied to the other fingers, if that makes any sense.

I have moved on to the next exercises in his book--alternating bass lines, using all six strings, slurs etc. Right now I'm better at pulling off the beat than hammering on, but it is coming along.

In a way I enjoy the break from learning a new song, focusing on the exercises seems less goal oriented in a way, and they sound musical.

On the way home tonight I heard James Taylor's version of Wandering. Then I opened up the book and that song is coming up. Very cool.

Thanks again for all of your help. It is almost like learning a new instrument after strumming for so long!

Bob
Old 01-19-2017, 11:29 AM

I have the same problem but only when the recording mic is placed in front of me. I get nervous and forget the most common chord changes and totally screw up things I've done right 1000 times. Is there any way I can make decent quality recordings with out me knowing about them?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write