The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-08-2016, 09:04 PM

Default help on sreumming pattern firefall song

you are the women i have always dreamed of .Fire fall strumming pattern you would recommend for this song please .Regards John
Old 12-08-2016, 11:01 PM

Maybe this will help.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luq_SqnlDZg
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-22-2016, 03:26 PM

Default looking for this strumming pattern

Fire fall you are the women some one must have played the song need help .Regards John
Old 12-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

John;

Although I have been playing the guitar for nearly 60 years now, I have never attempted to "dissect" a rhythm/strumming pattern. I have always done all I could do to truly absorb the song, the rhythm, the FEEL of the piece... and then worked on re-creating that feel.

If I had to "think about" an up-down-up-up-down-down type of strumming pattern, I don't believe I would EVER get it right! Too much thinking and not enough of what the song is really about...

So, I would suggest that you work on internalizing the beat and feel of the song, and then just strum... work on covering all the chords, in tempo, and then "fill in" what's missing. It will come, provided you keep on really staying with the song and the feel.

This approach has worked for me with every different type of music I have played, from blues to rock to jazz... even with folk and country, it just works to really "dig in" to the song I'm learning...

Hope this helps!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-23-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
John;

Although I have been playing the guitar for nearly 60 years now, I have never attempted to "dissect" a rhythm/strumming pattern. I have always done all I could do to truly absorb the song, the rhythm, the FEEL of the piece... and then worked on re-creating that feel.

If I had to "think about" an up-down-up-up-down-down type of strumming pattern, I don't believe I would EVER get it right! Too much thinking and not enough of what the song is really about...

So, I would suggest that you work on internalizing the beat and feel of the song, and then just strum... work on covering all the chords, in tempo, and then "fill in" what's missing. It will come, provided you keep on really staying with the song and the feel.

This approach has worked for me with every different type of music I have played, from blues to rock to jazz... even with folk and country, it just works to really "dig in" to the song I'm learning...

Hope this helps!

Advice like yours and Fazool's "just FEEL the music"....helped me tremendously when I first picked up a guitar a couple of years ago, and got hung up on the "strum pattern" dilemma...

Thanks for the common sense approach...
Old 12-25-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy1234 View Post
Fire fall you are the women some one must have played the song need help .Regards John

Down down up up down

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write