The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 07:44 AM

D-28, HD-28, or D-18. Your choice and you can’t go wrong. Any one of these is a “guitar for life” purchase that you won’t regret.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:48 AM

I can’t stop thinking about the new 000-28 with the sunburst finish.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
If you own Martins, sooner or later you will want to own a D-28 as it is the most iconic in their line, and maybe of all guitars.Save time, get one now and get that out of the way. Its sort of the "Goldilocks" Martin, not too much or too little of anything, it will provide a baseline for the purchase of Martins 2 through 10.
I know lots of folks will agree with this but no, the D28 is not everyone's cup of tea. My first Martin was a D28 Marquis that I wanted to love, but I returned it after two weeks. Ended up with a rosewood OM that was a much better fit for me.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I was a very happy Taylor player for 20 years. A Taylor was always my primary guitar. After having played rosewood Taylor's (814, GS8, 810) for about a decade, more recently I developed more of an ear for mahogany. I had a 324 for a while, which I loved, but I missed the punch of a spruce top. I set my sights on the new 510e, and was actually pretty impressed with the ones I played. I did, however, A/B the 510 with a new Martin D-18, and after 20 years, I was MORE smitten with the Martin. I took the plunge, sold my 810, and bought a D-18 about 6 weeks ago. I'm very happy with my decision, and the D-18 is all I could want in a Mahogany dreadnought. I haven't left the Taylor camp, and will most certainly own one again someday, but for now anyway, that Martin D-18 (and my Larrivee OM) are both very satisfying. Had I had 3k to spend, I think I still would have landed on the D-18.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I know lots of folks will agree with this but no, the D28 is not everyone's cup of tea. My first Martin was a D28 Marquis that I wanted to love, but I returned it after two weeks. Ended up with a rosewood OM that was a much better fit for me.
Very true. While there is no denying the D-28 is maybe the most iconic acoustic guitar it's not for everyone. I tried the new 2018 D-28 and ended up with the 2018 HD-28. Both are great guitars but the HD just had more of the voice I was looking for. Plus I miss my old MFG custom HD-28V and this new HD-28 gets pretty close. I'm mostly a dread guy but I love the 18's and 28's regardless of body size?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
+1

I actually care more about what's on the inside. I honestly prefer a more responsive top, therefore I find that I would choose scallop vs straight bracing over wood type.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:11 AM

I'd look for one made before 1965.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 03-09-2018, 09:27 AM

I would try a D-18GE to see if I could get used to the neck. I've never played one but it has all the specs I like (minus the V-Shape neck and 1 3/4'" nut).

If that didn't work out I'd probably get an older HD-28 with the smaller nut.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I just purchased a 2018 HD-28 and it's fantastic! Opted to upgrade to the Geib case, and still fell well under $3000.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Music soothes the soul!

My first came and went a long time ago ... a D-35. But if I were to buy my first “again” it would be a 000-28VS Sunburst.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 AM

A used OM-42, J-41 Special, or Laurence Juber.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:46 AM

With a budget of $3000 I would not limit myself to looking at $3000 guitars. I’d play everything I could find at $1500 on up.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cypress Knee

"Rather than answer your question directly, I would do this. I would contact Maury at Maury's Music or Jon at My Favorite Guitars, let them know my interests and past experiences with other brands as well as the type of music I enjoy, and let them make some suggestions as to what is available in that price range.

You have a lot of Taylor Grand Auditoriums according to your sig. Do you want more auditorium style guitars from a different maker, or do you want to go another body type, or wood type? Do you play fingerstyle, flatpick, or strum? Jazz, country, rock?

Does the history of the people who have played Martin have any influence on you? If you like Clarence White and that D-28, then you may not be satisfied with a Joan Baez orchestra size.

I would reach out to Jon and or Maury instead of taking recommendations from a bunch of unknown strangers who probably have an entirely different reasons to like or dislike Martin guitars.

CK"

Response from the OP:

"I used the pronoun “you” twice in the OP because I really did want to know what each of you would purchase as your one and only Martin acoustic. The question was not intended to ask “What should I purchase?”"

Point taken. My answer is the same. I would talk to Maury and Jon about my playing desires if I were going to spend $3,000 on a my first Martin. Having purchased many Martins, Guilds, Gibsons, as well as some boutique/small builder guitars, and having sold most of those, I am not in a first-time buyer position.

I can also say that I have never owned a Taylor. However, if I were committed to spending $3,000 on a Taylor guitar, I would certainly contact some dealers who were very experienced in the Taylor world and solicit their advice before making a decision.

But back to the original question. If I were buying a Martin for the very first time and had a budget of $3,000 and I could get no advice from anywhere other than this board, then I would buy the best sounding rosewood Martin dred that I could find because the D 28/D 35/D 40 series of guitars are the ones that I associate with as Martin's best.

CK
Old 03-09-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Default new?

If I wanted new...I'd call one of our great sponsors and I'd get the NEW AND IMPROVED D-28...it's a really really good guitar....or maybe the HD-28...it's a beast!!!!..BUT DON'T PAY MAP!!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I just purchased a 2018 HD-28 and it's fantastic! Opted to upgrade to the Geib case, and still fell well under $3000.

I did not need to see this post. My goodness! That is hot!!!

Yup...want, no....NEED one now!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion