The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Yes, absolutely. Most of my hard shell cases have identifying stickers. I’ve played enough jams and small festivals to be wary of having a guitar in a generic-looking case.

Decades ago, at the end of a long open mike at a bar, I grabbed my Les Paul case from the equipment room and instantly knew it was not my guitar. Another jammer had picked up my case instead of his. And although I had heard his name, I’d never seen him before.

That was a sleepless night. The next day, I called every listing for his last name in Raleigh (lucky it wasn’t “Smith”) until I found him. He’d not opened the case yet. When he did, he drove quickly to my house. I doubt y’all remember the Gibson Marauder—a Norlin-era guitar. That was his. Mine is a 72 Goldtop Standard. The cases looked almost identical.

From then on, I’ve plastered my cases.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 PM

I started thinking after my first replied, that one of my hobbies is working with paracord. I had already wrapped the handles of my luggage, and hiking sticks, plus replaced the zipper pulls on every bag I own, just to make them all more identifiable. So why not do my guitar case handles as well. Oh well, it seems my project list just got a little bit longer, lol.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:14 PM

.....Nope.....

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 PM

Not on my acoustic case, yes on my electric case:

Last edited by voyager1; 03-06-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: wrong image :^(
Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 PM

I guess I'll put at least one on there now.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:45 PM

Yes, I have stickers on 80% of my guitar cases. Mostly a NB sticker here and there but on my Waterloo cases, they also have a Waterloo sticker on them. One has an ElderlyInstruments sticker on it.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:54 PM

Only one. The message read "Abuse that guy's luggage" in red letters in the band of a white arrow imposed over a red background.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

My Strat case has a few stickers, and my old cases for now-sold guitars also had stickers on 'em. As other folks point out, it's really nice when you're playing a gig, or just practicing with a basement band, to be able to recognize your case quickly. My hard-shell airplane luggage also has (motorcycle racing) stickers on it, for the same reason.

'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 03-06-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Yes, absolutely. Most of my hard shell cases have identifying stickers. I’ve played enough jams and small festivals to be wary of having a guitar in a generic-looking case.

Decades ago, at the end of a long open mike at a bar, I grabbed my Les Paul case from the equipment room and instantly knew it was not my guitar. Another jammer had picked up my case instead of his. And although I had heard his name, I’d never seen him before.

That was a sleepless night. The next day, I called every listing for his last name in Raleigh (lucky it wasn’t “Smith”) until I found him. He’d not opened the case yet. When he did, he drove quickly to my house. I doubt y’all remember the Gibson Marauder—a Norlin-era guitar. That was his. Mine is a 72 Goldtop Standard. The cases looked almost identical.

From then on, I’ve plastered my cases.
I'm fairly well-known in Alaskan acoustic music circles, and am known for having lots of stickers on my various instrument cases. I've mentioned this story here on this forum before, but it bears repeating: a number of years ago now when I was backstage at the Anchorage Folk Festival I left a guitar where it was kind of in the way. One of the stage crew members picked it up and moved it back to one of the Green Rooms. As he walked from the backstage area to the Green Room, three different people asked him: "Where are you going with Wade's guitar?"

And I only knew one of those people, but they were aware of me and aware that that guitar in the British Racing Green Calton case with all the stickers on it was mine.

Having visually distinctive instrument cases plastered with stickers might draw sneers and contempt from some players, but that doesn't bother me a BIT...

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-06-2018, 09:25 PM

A friend of mine worked with Gordon Lightfoot and they played in a number of countries. He had quite a few stickers from various countries that they played in. I could see me doing that as a reminder of where I've been but I would find any other type of sticker unappealing. If another type of sticker found its way on one of my cases, I'd be a-peeling...................if off.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Only on one.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:28 PM
Guest 1928

I generally avoid adding them to original cases, but I've come to enjoy them on certain other cases. To me that means Caltons, where the stickers adhere easily and they're not altering original equipment. They hide bumps and scratches and as others have pointed out, they do make your case stand out at festivals and whatnot.

Here's one of mine.

And should we forget who it belongs to...

Old 03-06-2018, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

No, but then again my cases never leave the house. I always take my acoustics out in gig bags and gig bags don't take stickers very well!
Old 03-07-2018, 03:54 AM

Not if it's a good case.
Ibanez AS93-VLS

“I'd woken up early, and I took a long time getting ready to exist.” ― Fernando Pessoa
Old 03-07-2018, 07:11 AM

In my mind, stickers seem more at home on electric guitar and bass cases.

Here's the tweed case that houses my '74 Jazz bass case.

Most of the stickers are originals from the 70's.

The bass and case are both well worn and have seen better days.

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion