The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2018, 03:26 PM

Default I have somewhat of a strange confession...

I love playing guitar, but I'm not a huge fan of music in general. Let that sink in haha. Yes, I listen to music, but I get bored listening to music very easily. I'd rather be playing.

I can play guitar for hours. Generally, I play my own noodles and such. But, I just lack a genuine love for music. I probably liked music much more growing up, but now it's just something that is on in the background. I never really went to concerts growing up, and I am not a bar guy.

Anyone else like this?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Let me speak for the rest of the group here. There is no one else like that. Everyone else loves music. You're weird.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 02-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I love music more than ever, and always have (so it's increasing).

I view music as part of life.

My wife and I went to like 12 concerts last season and music is always on around me and everyone in my family.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-26-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Let me speak for the rest of the group here. There is no one else like that. Everyone else loves music. You're weird.
haha I figured as much. I do like music, but I just don't listen to it very much or at long intervals. I can however play guitar all day long.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:07 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
haha I figured as much. I do like music, but I just don't listen to it very much or at long intervals. I can however play guitar all day long.
Sounds to me like part of the problem is you aren't "finding" the right music

Old 02-26-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Sounds to me like part of the problem is you aren't "finding" the right music
Could be this too! certainly my case. Only listen to soft and slow pop, rock songs and ballads. Certainly compared to my peers, I have a weird taste in music. Ive no interest in modern day rap, hip hop and electronic music.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I love playing guitar, but I'm not a huge fan of music in general. Let that sink in haha. Yes, I listen to music, but I get bored listening to music very easily. I'd rather be playing.

I can play guitar for hours. Generally, I play my own noodles and such. But, I just lack a genuine love for music. I probably liked music much more growing up, but now it's just something that is on in the background. I never really went to concerts growing up, and I am not a bar guy.

Anyone else like this?
This is precisely how I feel. I don't listen to music often at all but I love to play guitar. I skip the threads asking who your favorite player is.... it's me, not because I'm all that good at it, but I'd much rather listen to myself playing live than any guitarist I can think of
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 02-26-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Could be this too! certainly my case. Only listen to soft and slow pop, rock songs and ballads. Certainly compared to my peers, I have a weird taste in music. Ive no interest in modern day rap, hip hop and electronic music.
I gravitate toward that stuff but let me give you some advice...branch out.
It will open up your mind to a lot you are missing. Indie, country, bluegrass...whatever. There is lots of great folk music being done as well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-26-2018, 04:16 PM
Guest 1511

Yup, what the other fella said, you’re weird. I absolutely love music of all sorts and listen to everything, except Country. Country music is all based on just four songs mixed up and played slightly differently. I said that to a friend who said Blues was the same way. So I punched him. I listen to it all from rock to opera to classical, jazz and recently I’m listening to Pakistani and African music. I never get bored. I can still listen to The Wall for the thousandth time and enjoy it as if it were only the 500rh time.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

...very brave of you to confess...

...i do know something of the feelings you're having as i have kinda "lost interest" in music at times even though i still enjoyed playing music myself...i once heard Ian Anderson..(he of Jethro Tull fame) say in an interview that he didn't listen to music other than his own at all because it just didn't interest him....

...for me it signifies a problem and i believe my personal playing suffers when i lose interest in what others are doing...i use that as motivation to get out and listen to live music...to discover new artists and to revisit a lot of the music that i have loved in the past...that always rekindles my interest in all music and i in turn become motivated to push my own playing to further limits...

...otoh...theres nothing wrong with being solitary....music can be shared but it doesn't have to be...
Old 02-26-2018, 04:18 PM

Like sports?

Some like to play; others like to watch; and others like doing both.

Nothing wrong or even unusual about that.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:29 PM

MChild62 may have a similar view of it as I have, with his sports analogy; I don't view music as a spectator sport. But listening to music/artists that the people I play with, and those whose tastes are similar to mine, yields fresh approaches to the standards, and ideas for new songs.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

It does strike me as odd. It’s kind of like a writer who doesn’t like to read. Hey - Whatever gets you through the night.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:32 PM

There is lots of music that I don't care to hear. That has always been true and I don't see it ever changing.

That said, I am in LOVE with MUSIC in general and certain music in particular. And not only do I like specific guitarists, I also like other instruments as much (if not more). I always figured that my love of listening to music fed my love of playing music (and sometimes vice versa).

It is baffling to me how I could have put in 10,000+++ hours on guitar without enjoying other players and trying to steal what they do. Would have seemed a lot like homework! I don't think I would have stuck with it, since in the early days I did not have much fun playing because I was so lousy. The gap between my love for THEIR playing and my minimal love for my own was a powerful incentive for me.

Fascinating how different we all are in our motivations, experiences and desires.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-26-2018, 04:34 PM

listening to and playing music is an every day occurence for me.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion