The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Hard to come by people like her who have a heart and conscience. Very thoughtful of her.
If I were you, I'd keep that D-18. Just because that would be the same guitar with a nice story behind it. I'm a sentimental person like that. As long as that d18 is good finally, and looks good, why not keep it?

If you aren't much for sentiment, and are adamant for something else, act now. But I would find it awkward to say "hey, thanks, but I'd like something else"
Yes, I’d pick the D18 from your list and I’d keep it for very sentimental reasons.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-24-2018, 05:51 PM

No advice, just want to say you have a great ex-girlfriend. It is nice when people realize they aren't right for each other in that way, but still care about each other,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkovach View Post
Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the forum, and I thank you all in advance for any guidance or advice you may have on my (very) unique situation. And let me apologize now for the length of this post.

Basically, I am having a very good “problem”. Let me (not-so) briefly explain how I got here.

Several years ago I was dating a girl. To make a long story short, while I was with her, my beloved guitar was stolen. A 1971 Gibson J-45. I absolutely adored it, and was heartbroken. I’ve always been pretty strapped for cash, and I have not owned an acoustic since then.

The girl and I have been broken up for several years now, and she has gone on to do very well for herself. I knew that she had always blamed herself for the guitar getting stolen (99% likely it was her addict ex boyfriend). I forgave her for it, told her it was not her fault, etc. I since moved away. We haven’t spoken in a year. I got an e-mail from her last week saying that I’d be receiving a package in the mail. I figure it is some kind of catch-up letter, or some kind of gift that reminded her of me. Something like that.

I get home on Saturday to my apartment to find a brand new Martin D-18 at my door. She bought it on Amazon for $2,459.

I called her, basically in shock. Can’t deny there were some tears. She explained that she couldn’t stand the thought of me not playing guitar (we used to sing songs together as a part of our relationship. Very beautiful memories).

My first reaction was to reject it. She insists that I keep it. Apparently she is doing very well for herself, and this is a way for her to right a wrong from several years ago. She got me the D-18, thinking that it was the same guitar I had stolen from me. I told her this wasn’t the case (it was a vintage Gibson J-45) and she told me that I could return it or exchange for basically any guitar I want similar in value.

So, literally out of nowhere, I get to choose any acoustic I want.
I know to many of you, I sound like a spoiled brat right now, and that I should accept the D-18 and love it as such. And there's a great chance I will. But this is the guitar I will never sell and will own for the rest of my life, and I want to make the right decision.

I’ve been planning/saving for my big high-end acoustic purchase for years now, so I have done my fair share of research. I know that I am not a Taylor guy, as I find them too bright for my taste. I loved my Gibson (even though it was apparently made in a very bad era for Gibson). The sound was great, but what made it perfect was the action. I don’t know how or why, but it made me a far better acoustic player. The neck was great.

Here is my question for you guys. What do you do if you have 3k to spend on a guitar within the next week?

I’ve narrowed it down the best I can. It's 100% Martin or Gibson. Stupid as it is, I'm old fashioned and really love the iconic brands that have made such a huge impact on the music I love. I know there are great boutique brands out there, but for my one life-long high end acoustic, it's gotta be a Martin or Gibson.

Here are my final options:

- Martin D-18 (the one I currently have with the tag still on it).
- Martin D-28
- Gibson J-45
- Gibson Hummingbird.

And that’s it.

My first reaction to the D-18 was positive. My ex knows literally nothing about guitars, so she actually bought it on Amazon. I was concerned about this, but it seems to be fine. I don’t know if it has been set up or anything.

The sound is beautiful, but a bit brighter than I prefer. Also, I’m a big guy (6’5’’ with big ol hands) and the guitar is on the smaller side. I’m thinking the D-28 might be more suitable? Or Gibsons?

I’ve always thought it was crazy to pay for a brand new guitar. I had planned on getting one used, and I’m a big fan of old guitars. But maybe its best to play it safe and stick with brand new? It's a weird feeling, because I'm literally playing with someone else's money.

What would you guys do if you were me? Are brand new Martins as good as the vintage ones? Should I scour eBay for an old J-45 (like the one I loved so much)? Get a badass bright orange Hummingbird?

Musically, I’m very into folk, blues, rock ,etc etc. My ideal guitar sound is something similar to early Neil Young, Stones, Dylan, etc. Would definitely say I prefer a more deep, full sound, rather than a modern bright Taylor-esque sound. I dabble in bluegrass and country, but I'd say I'm definitely blues/folk based.

I realize that this^ is all sprawling and I’m probably not even asking a specific question, but, still, I would love to hear some advice from some wiser folks than myself. I’m sure that most of you would kill to be in this position. I still kind of can’t believe that it’s happening to me. I’m sure I could stick with the D-18 and be happy, but I’d always wonder if I made the wrong choice.

Cheers,

- Peter
Old 02-24-2018, 05:54 PM

Absolutely KEEP THE D18 , it’s a great guitar and the ONLY right thing to do , (yeah, ok , IMO.... but I’m right)

You still want a J45 so bad for some reason save up and buy one yourself. End of.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:10 PM

In your situation I would not return the guitar. I would accept it as a gift given to you by life's circumstances. Try not make this more complicated than it is. This is something SHE wanted to do to make HERSELF feel better. By you accepting it and thanking her greatly for it, you are doing your part in this equation. Her guilt can be relieved from your actions, and you get a new D-18 out of it.

If you really feel bad, then return it and insist she doesn't buy you a guitar. But do this gently and try and have an open honest conversation with her. I don't think you should take all the money and go "guitar shopping" though, I think that is in poor taste.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 PM

I’d go with the 2018 D28 for sure.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-24-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Edited content
Old 02-24-2018, 06:28 PM

Peterkovach, only you can decide if a guitar works for you. Unlike the advice here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwinter View Post
I'd say keep the D-18. It's a fantastic guitar and I doubt you'd find a Gibson that sounds better than that. The D-28 and the D-18 are going to be the same in terms of size and overall feel. They will sound different. Just to give you a point of reference, and to show my opinion, the D-18 was my dream guitar. Now I have one and I wouldn't want anything different.

Aaron
I would say you can absolutely find a Gibson that sounds better than the D-18 as I’ve played dozens that do TO MY EARS. Again, that is the key factor here and the reason why Aaron’s undoubtedly well-intentioned advice is wrong.

If you like the sound of the D-18, then keep it. If you aren’t satisfied with the sound, then switch it up. I’d suggest trying to go to a store with some Gibson J-45s and trying them out. Take the D-18 with you.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-24-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:26 PM

That story has a kind of Dan Fogelberg ring to it. I would keep the D-18 for the memory, plus it is a fantastic guitar. Cool story and she sounds like a special woman.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:34 PM

Default I have a very unexpected "problem", and I need help.

Of all the guitars on your list, the J-45 will feel the smallest due to the short scale and body shape. Not by much, but if that’s a consideration, it’s something to keep in mind. I’d keep the D-18 if I were you, for sentimental reasons if nothing else, but the new 2018 D-28 (in ambertone or sunburst!) would be pretty sweet too.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:38 PM

Cool story.

The no brainer answer, as far as I'm concerned, is to keep the D18 and enjoy all the karma and mojo attached to it. D18s do NOT suck!!

Wow.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:43 PM

Keep the D-18...Karma like that only occurs ONCE in a lifetime.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-24-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 02-24-2018, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

There is probably very little chance that a new J45 will sound like a Vintage J45. I agree that you should try to find a store where you can play a J45, and D28. Both are fairly common, so you should be able to do that if you are in/around a decent sized city.

Personally I think the D18 smokes the J45, but I don’t seem to like Gibsons.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 02-24-2018, 07:45 PM

1971 J-45 would have been a square shoulder, right? So a new one might not be comparable.

I recently played a early 80s J-50 that played and sounded great, contrary to what I’d heard about them.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George6654 View Post
Accept the gift from your Ex gracefully and play it like you stole it.

Invite the Ex to dinner
This is the answer I find the most "correct." But I would wonder about her motives and not to say they are bad. Cool story. This may be a story that is about more than a specific guitar model?!?!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Keep the D-18. First, it’s a fabulous guitar, one of the best production models being made in my opinion. Second, it is a lovely gift clearly filled with a kind of love that speaks to the love you once shared with your ex. And finally, you can never go back...water under the bridge is just that, even with guitars. Build new memories with our D-18....I am guessing you will love it more than you might imagine.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:15 PM

Default Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Keep the guitar you were gifted. Exchanging it would make an unexpected and thoughtful gesture into something monetary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion