The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2018, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
I wonder how many of the naysayers have actually owned, much less used a Tonerite? I was hoping to keep this thread free of negative comments but I guess that was too much to ask. Thanks so those who shared their "positive" stories.
One of the misconceptions is that the Tonerite is a substitute for "playing in" an instrument. IMHO, there's no reason that it can't augment the normal playing over time without replacing the need for playing.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
One of the misconceptions is that the Tonerite is a substitute for "playing in" an instrument. IMHO, there's no reason that it can't augment the normal playing over time without replacing the need for playing.
Or it could be a waste of time and a waste of electricity, if trust the science of the study(s).

How long do people run these things for? All night? I would think if you lived in a drier climate, you could be doing more harm than good, leaving the guitar out of its case to dry out (unless you humidify the room). I don't imagine having a guitar humidifier, with water in it, and an electrical device attached to the guitar would be feasible or practical.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:06 AM

I wonder if tonerite is similar to torrefication. Vibrates the wood so that moisture is rapidly lost.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindChaser View Post
I wonder if tonerite is similar to torrefication. Vibrates the wood so that moisture is rapidly lost.
No. Torrefication is a different process where the top is baked to dry the lignin polymers to simulate aging. Tonerite is a vibration system to simulate playing.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-15-2018, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post
Or it could be a waste of time and a waste of electricity, if trust the science of the study(s).

How long do people run these things for? All night? I would think if you lived in a drier climate, you could be doing more harm than good, leaving the guitar out of its case to dry out (unless you humidify the room). I don't imagine having a guitar humidifier, with water in it, and an electrical device attached to the guitar would be feasible or practical.
Water and electricity have co-existed for some time now. In fact, both of my humidifiers are powered by electricity. 😉
Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Water and electricity have co-existed for some time now. In fact, both of my humidifiers are powered by electricity. 😉
LOL yeah, but typically humidifiers also hamper the vibrations on the strings. The sound hole cover on my Dampit, for example.

Very low risk of electrocution, I suppose, unless you're using the humidifier really incorrectly. I just always think in "Final Destination" terms, mapping out all the ways a particular action could potentially accidentally kill me.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

I’m only using the whole home humidifiers, not the sound hole / in case kind. I have a mostly open floor plan with about 4300sf of living area and a mild climate, so I place one at each end of the open second floor.

They work their hardest when the furnace is running (winter nights) or when it’s pushing 100 degrees and 20% humidity outside (summer afternoons). I’ll push 4-5 gallons on those extreme days, and less than that amount in two weeks otherwise.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post
1) Or it could be a waste of time and a waste of electricity, if trust the science of the study(s).

2) How long do people run these things for? All night?
You can trust my observations, or not. pure scientific evidence doesn't exist at the moment to a measurable extent. But nobody is putting an oscilloscope to Andy Powers' designs and challenging the fact that the small changes he's made in guitar design have made a noticeable difference. FWIW I've spent the last 20 years examining overtones in trumpets, including adjustments of mass, cryogenics and specifically examining how different trumpet mouthpieces affect the overtones of the trumpet (at one point I owned 50 mouthpieces).

1) To some extent you have to trust peoples' perception. If the process provides satisfaction then one would have to stipulate that the process was successful.

2) How long? It depends on the individual and how the results (or lack thereof) are viewed. In my case I've got a couple hundred hours on both my Taylors. The most pronounced results (based only on my own perception) were present on my 2011 Taylor 614ce (maple).

Maple and rosewood are supposed to be very different sounding, no? I'm about to post a short recording of both maple and rosewood Taylor guitars. Are they so different sounding? I'll let you be the judge. I think now there are very similar and I attribute a lot of the similarity is due to the many hours of the Tonerite on the 614, which the 814ceDLX having just as many Tonerite hours didn't change nearly as much. But you be the judge.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion