The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Share Your TONERITE Success Stories

I know, I know...not again.........
Sorry, as a new Tonerite owner, I cant resist.
Ive had mine on my new D-28 for only 32 hours on the high setting with the guitar suspended only by its headstock on a Hercules stand but, I can already tell a huge difference in sustain, volume, and balance. I can also feel more vibrations in the neck and body of the guitar when I am playing it. It has a much looser feel now. I cant wait to play it after another 30 hours or so. Right now, I have it set to a medium-low setting. I'll report back in a day or 2 but so far, Im impressed. Please share your positive stories. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2018, 10:26 PM

I've been using a Tonerite for a couple months on three different guitars. I've experience results ranging from pretty good to near amazing. The guitars that have had the process are 1) Taylor 814ceDLX (made June 2017). 2) Taylor 614ce (2011). MIJ Epiphone PR-755s (1981).

The "opening" that people talk about is the freeing of overtones and harmonics that freer moving wood produces. While I think it's really helped my new 814 I believe there is more "opening" to occur with this instrument. What makes the DLX different in sound than the regular CE is the adirondack bracing. The wood makes the sound tighter, so it is more articulate, but sounds a little tight out of the box, but varies from unit to unit. My guess is that on my guitar it will take some additional playing in to get it to sound its best.

The Epi in spite of being over 35 years old has shown some improvement in sound. Extended harmonics would be a good way to express it. But my 614ce has shown the most improvement. While it has shown the same type of opening as the other two guitars, one of the things that I've noticed is that with extended Tonerite application the "intonation" that I believe Andy Powers is currently referring to has changed significantly. That sonic chaos has been minimized; so much so that a year ago the 614 didn't meet my expectations with the recommended Elixir strings. Quite recently it has been showing a much improved sound and surprisingly has done something to make it sound wonderful with Elixirs.

One thing that I've begun doing is having the Tonerite on one guitar or another, almost perpetually. I'm hoping that it can continue helping the guitars stay flexible as the lignin in my newer guitars ages.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-27-2018, 10:30 PM

Guys, sorry Mr. Ignoramous again here.

Is this device intended to work for new instruments only? And how long should a guitar be treated with vibrations? I mean how many hours?
Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post

Is this device intended to work for new instruments only? And how long should a guitar be treated with vibrations? I mean how many hours?
It is for both new and old instruments. Sometimes, even old instruments will "tighten up" if they havent been played in awhile. The instructions say to use the Tonerite for an initial 72 hour period but, you can leave it on as long as you want. Im new to this myself so I cant offer much beyond what I have experienced in the last day and a half. It does seem to work as advertised so far though.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
It is for both new and old instruments. Sometimes, even old instruments will "tighten up" if they havent been played in awhile. The instructions say to use the Tonerite for an initial 72 hour period but, you can leave it on as long as you want. Im new to this myself so I cant offer much beyond what I have experienced in the last day and a half. It does seem to work as advertised so far though.
Good to know. I have heard many positive comments from players that use them, but I had no clue how this really works. Thanks for sharing info with us.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post

I agree with Hearsedriver. I used a Tonerite very successfully on a guitar that I bought used through the AGF. Around 72 hours of continuous treatment made that guitar sound a whole lot better.

Col
Old 01-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Sold mine for a fraction what it cost me.

SUCCESS !
Old 01-28-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Sold mine for a fraction what it cost me.

SUCCESS !
Big grins!
Old 01-28-2018, 09:13 AM

I have learned that a 72 hour treatment does make a Tonal difference. Slow speed produces a warmer richer sound and the fast speed produces a brighter punchier sound. Of course when you put the dial in the middle, well, it’s obvious that it’s a more balanced result. I can even change the tone back and forth from bright to warm. My observation is that the tonal change does not last. It’s seems to be temporary. I believe that guitars warm up after being played for awhile. I wonder if that is what I am hearing. As for long term effects, new guitars always seem to make significant tonal changes in the first few weeks and months. I have attached new and used guitars to a toneright and found them all seem to warm up in this way.

As for long term effects, I cannot say. It hasn’t hurt. For a more scientific result, one would have to take 2 identical models of the same age and toneright one but not the other and play them both equally. If that happened I would believe that there would at least be a temporary difference in openness or what we call “warmed up” but I have no evidence that the guitar has moved faster through the break in period. Simply, there is nothing to compare to.

All I know is that I am not selling mine anytime soon.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-28-2018, 09:18 AM

Succes story: used high end north eastern USA guitar, fast asleep, no sign of greatness. Woke up beautifully after Tonerite treat.

There's also the indifferent stories, but you asked for the others.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 AM

I had reservations about the Tone Rite until I walked into Carter Vintage in Nashville and saw it being used on a guitar.

I didn’t notice the guitar as much as the fact it was being used in one of the premier guitar shops in the U.S..
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-28-2018, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sold on this one, but I never tried it either. I get the idea behind it though.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Big believer. I've used mine all sorts of ways. The best way is leave on high for 10 days suspended from the tuner keys via a shoelace in the closet. I usually do it when I go on vacation so no one has to hear the low hum. It's never done any harm and its really helped a few tighter feeling guitars. Plus I think I paid $130 new and they usually sell in a day here for about $100 so it costs a net $30.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:24 PM

I made one from an aquarium pump, a lamp dimmer slide switch and rubber bands. Cost around $5 from the thrift store. Like others, I had varying degrees of success, but it really depended on the guitar. One guitar blossomed like a spring flower, rich harmonics and an airer dry tone. Another guitar it seemed to do nothing to. I like the idea, but I've bought amazing guitars(the universe likes me) for less than the price of a new tonerite.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 01-28-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx View Post
I made one from an aquarium pump, a lamp dimmer slide switch and rubber bands. Cost around $5 from the thrift store. Like others, I had varying degrees of success, but it really depended on the guitar. One guitar blossomed like a spring flower, rich harmonics and an airer dry tone. Another guitar it seemed to do nothing to. I like the idea, but I've bought amazing guitars(the universe likes me) for less than the price of a new tonerite.
Could you please post a photo of your device and perhaps it's components. I'd love to try to make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm not sold on this one, but I never tried it either. I get the idea behind it though.
Depending on the guitar and how you use the device the results range from noticeable to mind blowing. My 614ce even though it is 7 years old had the most noticeable improvement. You know how Andy Powers is now talking about how "his" new bracing changes the intonation? The intonation of the overtones changed so signficantly that given a choice between a revoiced 614 and mine, I'd pick mine in a heartbeat. I wouldn't have said that 3 months ago.

I haven't tried lower speeds, but I suppose it's time. I have humidifiers going in my studio/office all the time keeping the humidity above 40% so I can just leave 'em hang and cycle the Tonerite between each of the guitars. While it probably makes the most difference after 72 hours I am now well about 140 hours on my Taylors and they continue to show some metamorphasis. As I said, only high speed runs. So now it's time to see if the low speed produces any noticeable results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanging_acoustics_tonerite.jpg (31.0 KB, 300 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion