The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 PM

If the above picture is a competed bracing pattern, it looks like LESS braces so it would have less mass to stop the top from vibrating, if nothing else.

I wonder how many blind sound tests they did around the shop to come up with this pattern ? I like the idea of changing things up. Do something new. Stand out. I hope it works for them.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-24-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I’ve just listened to that 914ce demo set of three short vids and what I noticed is that the guitar is very dynamic and also a bit on the treble clanging side but really unrefined sounding. So loud, bright but not in such a good way. Maybe it’ll sound better in a fingerpicking demo. It doesn’t ring out well as the harmonic character sounds kind of wrong.
Based solely on those demo videos of the 914 V Class, I don't hear any great groundbreaking innovation whatsoever. I hear a 914 that sounds tonally, to me, as about halfway between their original Taylor tone from the mid 90's to the early/mid 2000's CV bracing models, and between their previously "Andy Powers re-voiced" models from 2014 up till now.

Personally...I will gladly take the 1995 to 2005 Taylor tone over either Andy Powers re-voiced version. It is not that the re-voicing was bad...on the contrary...Andy did a really fine job, but, to me, he just homogenized the Taylor tonal character towards the more modern Goodall/Breedlove/McPherson tonality...much more sustain, much more harmonic complexity, much more lush sounding. I just really liked the original Taylor tone...and NOT so much because I totally loved that tonality...which I was just medium pleased with in actuality...BUT...because it WAS Taylors tone, and NOT Goodall's/Breedlove's/McPherson's tone. It was...love it or hate it...a much more original tone/response than what they have going now...for me...

I prefer the 1995 to 2005 cosmetics/aesthetics as well...though again...the newer Andy Powers "look" is very elegant...very understated and well done. I just like the older look better.

I still think the best models Taylor has ever done revolve around the GS bodies and the "15" and "55" series jumbo bodies...815/915 855/955

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-24-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post

If the above picture is a competed bracing pattern, it looks like LESS braces so it would have less mass to stop the top from vibrating, if nothing else.

I wonder how many blind sound tests they did around the shop to come up with this pattern ? I like the idea of changing things up. Do something new. Stand out. I hope it works for them.
I do really give Andy props for thinking and trying and re-imagining. Even if I do not particularly think it is better...just for me and what I like...I DO appreciate that he is looking forward with skill and an elegant sense of style in tone and appearance.

I just find it a bit too homoginized in what his changes do overall/in total, in their effect on the instrument. That's just me only though.

Keep moving Andy, keep thinking...there's no point in trying to go back...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-25-2018, 05:47 AM

That bridge plate is HUGE!!!!

Funny thing is my main guitar is a 000-18GE, uncompensated saddle and all... and I have zero intonation issues.

Nick
Old 01-25-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post

After listening to recorded audio samples of the few guitars that will feature this like the 914ce, my first impression is that I don't like the way these sound recorded. Now, perhaps in person they do deliver a much better experience. Video clips are limited in what they can convey, but when well produced they do give us an idea of how well an instrument sounds recorded and for some of us that is very important.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/914ce

Listening to this "reimagined" 914ce there's an odd thin quality to the tone. It does seem to sustain longer, but the pleasant decay my ears are expecting isn't there and what I'm hearing that's replaced that sound I'm just not a fan of. There are fewer overtones, but of course those sparkling overtones on top of the clang are what many acoustic players love.
Since we are all listening to these video's on our laptops or pc's, or phones (even with headphones), unless we have a high end DAC connected, we are very unlikely to hear the full spectrum/frequency/overtones of what was actually recorded. The headphone output pre-amp on the laptop coupled with (often times) lower quality headphones will not be the same as in person IMHO. I don't think we can make a definitive call on whether we like or dislike the new model based upon a youtube video. My suggestion is we all need to play the new version to make a final judgement.

Interesting that the Taylor quote mentioned "reducing overtones". It seems the "intonation" improvement is not around whether the note is technically in tune (how we typically think of it) but more around harmony of tones, reducing wolf tones, etc.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:36 AM

What I find really fascinating is that they’ve moved the upper transverse brace from above the soundhole to below it. That should effectively kill any vibration in the upper bout. Which may or may not be a good thing.

But structurally, that has more in common with a classical guitar than the traditional steel string.

I’ll be really curious to hear one in the flesh.

Steve
Old 01-25-2018, 06:40 AM

Hmm, I thought I recognised something similar:http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211.web....gton/body.html
Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM

I can't wait to play one of these while I'm riding my unicorn!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
I can't wait to play one of these while I'm riding my unicorn!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! More unicorn!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:59 AM

One of the purposes of bracing is also to provide structural stability. We will have to see how well this pattern holds up in the long term like 10 to 20 years.

Last edited by merlin666; 01-25-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:07 AM

Hmm, I don't know what to make of this. The tuning claim seems a bit over the top for me. Not sure if I buy that or how you can really even assess that. As for projection and sustain, it does seem like another claim that could be difficult to *****. If only Taylor could find a way to tame the high end on their guitars
Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
One of the purposes of bracing is also to provide structural stability. We will also have to see how well this pattern holds up in the ling term like 10 to 20 years.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
Looks like Taylor is trying to catch up with the competition.
Ah, a bright ray of sunshine in the conversation
Old 01-25-2018, 09:20 AM

Reminds me of archtop bracing. There are to long bars that are the primary bracing. This is a terrible sound to me, yes less overtones. Still there is just so much that can be done with bracing so lets remember that Taylor is a business and new is what sells
Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 AM

I will go out on a limb here and predict that these new Taylor guitars with V bracing will most definitely sound...different.

You heard it here.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion