The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-02-2017, 09:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

The odds in the suggested lottery are about two to three times as good as I expect buying a ticket to SBAIC to be for my REAL raffle. But you get to go to a great guitar show for sure. On the other hand, my guitar will be only an $8500 retail value, though IMO it may be as good a good a guitar as Ervin's. The SBAIC tickets are considerable less that $50, not counting hotel, food, and travel.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The odds in the suggested lottery are about two to three times as good as I expect buying a ticket to SBAIC to be for my REAL raffle. But you get to go to a great guitar show for sure. On the other hand, my guitar will be only an $8500 retail value, though IMO it may be as good a good a guitar as Ervin's. The SBAIC tickets are considerable less that $50, not counting hotel, food, and travel.
A ticket for the SBAIC raffel is a great investment for sure Bruce. And real. :-)
Old 06-03-2017, 05:09 AM

Has anybody here spent time listening to the Chapdelain project on youtube highlighting the nuances of sitka vs euro vs cedar?

Has anybody played any of these three guitars, and do you have an opinion how they "fare" compared to other somogyi's you have played?

There is one on sale right now at Dream.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:06 AM

I absolutely love that series, but I haven't played any of the guitars. My favorite is the sitka. I love the warmth.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I absolutely love that series, but I haven't played any of the guitars. My favorite is the sitka. I love the warmth.
They described it on the website as drier than they expected I don't know what that means. His guitars would typically have a built-in natural Reverb, correct?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 03:05 PM

Let's enjoy what the builders and clients CHOOSE to share with the community, instead of subtly demanding in public that they share everything. I read such undertones from some of these posts.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Kind of funny. I got a call from Mr Somogyi! He left a voice mail and I was too scared to call him back right away.

I get to meet the man on Tuesday. I've seen him at four of five guitar shows but never had the courage to take my meager skills into his booth to play one of his guitars.

He assured me that he puts puts his pants on one leg at a time. :-)
Old 06-03-2017, 04:02 PM

I preferred the Sitka as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 06-04-2017, 08:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

I can't comment on what Ervin's Process is, all I can do is respect his skill and wisdom. For me, posting guitar builds do take a lot more effort and time that is added to the build. I personally would rather concentrate on the build, but I know it can also be a sense of peace for my client so they know it is actually being built. I ask my clients if it is ok to post the build first and if they would rather not let the world know what they have, I respect that and move on. There are times I am able to show my builds, but if I'm not able to show builds for a while, people start to think you fell off the face of the earth, which is unfortunate. That said, I will be posting a OO build soon that will be a new design for me. That one I don't have to ask permission.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Kind of funny. I got a call from Mr Somogyi! He left a voice mail and I was too scared to call him back right away.

I get to meet the man on Tuesday. I've seen him at four of five guitar shows but never had the courage to take my meager skills into his booth to play one of his guitars.

He assured me that he puts puts his pants on one leg at a time. :-)
Ervin's a charming, funny guy. You'll have a great time.

Steve
Old 06-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kwasnycia View Post
I can't comment on what Ervin's Process is, all I can do is respect his skill and wisdom. For me, posting guitar builds do take a lot more effort and time that is added to the build. I personally would rather concentrate on the build, but I know it can also be a sense of peace for my client so they know it is actually being built. I ask my clients if it is ok to post the build first and if they would rather not let the world know what they have, I respect that and move on. There are times I am able to show my builds, but if I'm not able to show builds for a while, people start to think you fell off the face of the earth, which is unfortunate. That said, I will be posting a OO build soon that will be a new design for me. That one I don't have to ask permission.
This is kind of where I sit; I am happy to share any builds in which I am involved, at present, only two acoustics, and a couple of electrics. I don't want the builder to do it. Part of my joy is the ability to share this with you all, fellow guitar lovers. And while I am happy to present and promote the builder, share my experience, and so on, I think that right is mine as part of my journey to this new instrument. Of course a builder can put a "right to share pictures" or similar verbiage into their T & Cs of the agreement, and if that is the builder I chose, we can have that discussion. I like the sharing. But, maybe not everyone does. If a builder wants to promote themselves through build postings, as Dennis will do with his new model, as Mark Hatcher often does, they can build guitars for shows or to sell on their own, and this becomes a point of (and cost of) advertising.

I would think, in a case like Somogyi, he's got his following, his apprentices, his long waiting list, the overall mystique and a few other reasons why posting his own build threads isn't going to happen. And if you are buying a guitar from him, you most likely know you're not going to get build photos. And if you've ordered one, you accept that fact.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 AM

Ok, lets just face it, Ervin doesn't need us lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop