The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I like both of those 2 brands a lot... two of my very favorites. I prefer the Collings OM1, but I think SCGC makes exceedingly fine OMs. I think the clarity of a Collings is unsurpassed by other makers and that's a characteristic I value. I tend to like the smaller bodies though... 00 from Santa Cruz and 0 from Collings. Both are wonderful to play.

If you have experience with both, how do you think the SCGC 00 compares with Martin’s 00s?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:03 AM

Blindfold test. Works every time.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Smile Santa and Collings

I've owned several Collings OMs of various price points ranging from $4k to $8k. Each one has been impeccably built. Loud, precise, controlled. BUT I've sadly sold each one of them as they did not inspire me musically. let's say that they did not capture my imagination despite their "perfection."

I just purchased an Santa Cruz OM Grand. It's got so much personality, feedback for the player, depth, and is soulful. I also like the vibes that I get from Richard Hoover as a luthier and individual. I'll be investing in more Santa Cruz guitars.

Jonathon
Old 10-11-2020, 04:42 PM

Holy thread revival, Batman!

The SCGC OM (adi/EIR) I purchased back in May was my first boutique builder guitar (followed by the H&D, a couple of custom shop Martins and a BTO Taylor)...and just this week I got my first Collings OM2H (baked sitka/EIR).

The only thing the two OMs have in common is their top-notch fit and finish and tonal clarity. Despite both being EIR back and sides, tonally the OM2H is much more even across the spectrum. Not quite mids-focused like my mahogany guitars, but closer to that than the "scooped" sound of the OM, which has more pronounced lows and highs at the expense of mids in comparison. The OM2H actually sounded very close to an OM2H T the dealer had as well, but it was over a grand cheaper, in fact it sounded closer to the T than it did to a sister OM2H with a non-baked Sitka top and the Vintage Now (thicker) neck. My theory is there's something about the baked Sitka that makes it sound more like the Traditional OM2H line from Collings, without the up-charge for hot hide glue, no tongue bracing, etc.

The great thing with the OM and OM2H is I can play them back to back and no one will ever question why I own 2 guitars that are basically the same body shape and size, because the sound coming out of them is pretty different, but excellent in their own ways.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-11-2020, 08:16 PM

Collings OOO or OM. I think that Collings is the most consistent when it comes to sound.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:17 PM

Zombie thread alert.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:47 PM

I find the Collings and Cruz slope shoulder Ds are my favorites. Both sound superb.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadu ridge View Post
I've owned a couple from both makers, and played a few others.
Fit and finish from every example I've encountered from both builders was just flawless, impeccable.
Tone-wise, I've tended to prefer smaller body sizes from Santa Cruz and dreads or jumbos from Collings. The sparkle and clarity inherent with most Collings guitars helps with the boomy tendencies of dreads etc.

I no longer own a guitar from either one, as I tend to prefer more of a "vintage" tone, especially vintage Gibson, which no modern builder seems to be able to exactly produce.

This fits me 100%. The sm SCGC light builds are fantastic.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Holy thread revival, Batman!

The SCGC OM (adi/EIR) I purchased back in May was my first boutique builder guitar (followed by the H&D, a couple of custom shop Martins and a BTO Taylor)...and just this week I got my first Collings OM2H (baked sitka/EIR).

The only thing the two OMs have in common is their top-notch fit and finish and tonal clarity. Despite both being EIR back and sides, tonally the OM2H is much more even across the spectrum. Not quite mids-focused like my mahogany guitars, but closer to that than the "scooped" sound of the OM, which has more pronounced lows and highs at the expense of mids in comparison. The OM2H actually sounded very close to an OM2H T the dealer had as well, but it was over a grand cheaper, in fact it sounded closer to the T than it did to a sister OM2H with a non-baked Sitka top and the Vintage Now (thicker) neck. My theory is there's something about the baked Sitka that makes it sound more like the Traditional OM2H line from Collings, without the up-charge for hot hide glue, no tongue bracing, etc.

The great thing with the OM and OM2H is I can play them back to back and no one will ever question why I own 2 guitars that are basically the same body shape and size, because the sound coming out of them is pretty different, but excellent in their own ways.
Yeah, tell me about it, Lakewood. Thread started in 2016. Well, I guess we're close to Halloween, so grave robbing is okay. Yikes!

sm
Old 10-11-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Yeah, tell me about it, Lakewood. Thread started in 2016. Well, I guess we're close to Halloween, so grave robbing is okay. Yikes!

sm
Yes, but it is still a relevant question. Builders can change over time, folks who may have posted during a honeymoon phase may repost about their current thoughts. Personally, if I were in the market for an instrument in the Collings/SCGC price point, I'd be doing a lot of research. The start date of the thread could actually be helpful - I'd love to know how the folks who posted back then feel now.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:36 PM

From ghosties and ghoulies and long-legged beasties and zombie threads that go bump in the night protect me....

We’re pretty well blessed to live in an era where there are a lot of great builders, these two among them (SCGC being my choice, but in no way diminishing Collings).

Honestly the quality of what’s out there now is arguably better than ever before.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
From ghosties and ghoulies and long-legged beasties and zombie threads that go bump in the night protect me....

We’re pretty well blessed to live in an era where there are a lot of great builders, these two among them (SCGC being my choice, but in no way diminishing Collings).

Honestly the quality of what’s out there now is arguably better than ever before.
Could not agree more, we truly are lucky. Owning 3 of the "Big Small Four" I can extoll the virtues of SCGC, Collings and H&D. True, their tonal profiles will appeal to some more than others, but all of the guitars of theirs that I own or have demoed (which in total would be well north of 20, maybe 30+, in maybe a half dozen different shops) all have had impeccable craftsmanship and were well set up out of the factory.

I know this sounds stupid, but I'm actually bummed I don't have a Bourgeois dealer near me. When I bought my H&D, the dealer there had one Bourgeois D out which impressed me and likely would have been the one to come home with me had the TD-R not been there. I would really love to visit a shop with a handful or Bourgeois to see if any spoke to me.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-15-2020, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Since this thread started, the Collings company founder has passed but he initiated several key innovations to their line that definitely impact this comparison. The most recent option they offered in 2020 is the new neck build and the Satin option on the Traditional models. I think the instruments with these features are more in line with what SCGC owners prefer (based on reading this thread) - better bass, more resonance and more of what a Vintage Martin offers. But they still contain what Collings devotees love - clarity, balance, strong fundamentals and projection. I think the new Traditional series are spectacular - I would love to hear what SCGC owners who have played them think.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:07 AM

I agree. I was a dread player for many years due to social convention. When I really started to discover my own journey, the smaller bodies had a real and lasting effect on me and my playing.I am confident you will be happy with either option but I simply LOVE the expression, tone, and playability of my Collings OM3 Koa/Sitka.

BTW: Collings serial numbers are just over 40K today since the real business started in 1989(?) which equates to 1000 to 1500 units per year on average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Like others have said, both builders make excellent instruments, but I would also place Bourgeois, Goodall and H&D in the same category. I've have the opportunity to play them all and frankly could be very happy with guitars for each of the builders. It does become personal preference based on some pretty subtle differences. Of this grouping I've purchased and currently own guitars made by Collings, Bourgeois and H&D. SCGC guitars have never followed me home. I find Collings to be extremely comfortable to play and they are perfectly built in my experience. I have lost interest in dreads over the years and find smaller guitars from Collings to be unusually powerful, superbly balanced and rich in tone. However, I like them all and think you can't go wrong with any of them.

BTW regarding production, I spoke with Mark Althans Collings Customer Service Manager a couple of months ago and he told me Collings made 1593 acoustic guitars last year, which is normal production.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Be sure to try the Collings 000 12-fret in rosewood. The only Collings I almost pulled the trigger on. It got beat out only by a Froggy H12 -- which is no cause for shame.
Ditto this if you are a finger stye player. The 1 13/16 nut helped the clarity of my fingerstyle playing a lot. And for finger style, it is a very warm, complex guitar, not the bright piano like sound mentioned so often here. The tone I get from my 000 amazes me daily, it's truly a unique guitar. On the other hand, if you are primarily a strummer, this isn't the guitar for you IMO.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion