The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2016, 09:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Great job, Mems! I like your picking and singing. Now sell me back my E10SS. And there are a few more marks on it, so I want a discount.
Discount?! It's just opening up. That'll cost you extra, Hunter! I'm gonna hang on to it like the corpose in the casket at the beginning of Young Frankenstein. Just TRY and rip it from my grasp.

Yeah, it just gets better and better. It's right up there in my stable with my HD-28, which is pretty rarified company.

So, uh, no.

Memmer
Old 11-28-2016, 09:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Great tone and nice job on the song! Thanks for sharing that. Your Eastman sounds fantastic.
Thanks, jdto. Always great to hear from you.

You know, this is also for some of our younger members. Honestly, I go to so many open mics where the guitars sound like absolute crap. The best pickup in the world won't sound half as good as a beat up old SM-58. Just ain't gonna happen.

I swear, sometimes I think we get so caught in the CONVENIENCE of a pickup that we forget about the SOUND. Yes, pickups certainly have their place when playing with a full band and eliminating feedback; but we playing solo, try to use a mic. It's just almost magical.

thanks, jdto!
scott
Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Bravo!! Bravo!!
Loco, thanks so much. That's one of the most beautiful songs ever written -- one I wish I wrote.

thanks again,
scott
Old 11-28-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
The E-10SS is just one heckuva guitar.

I have this really cool venue here in L.A. where I record a lot of videos before a live audience...
Looks like Kulak's, haven't been there in a while. Awesome performance, Scott.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Discount?!

Yeah, it just gets better and better.

Memmer
I know the feeling. Put I nice new (big) mojo mark in mine the other day, when my dog suddenly got spooked by something and kicked it off the couch. No worries, it's mine and always will be.

Nice Job BTW there Scott on the tune; Beautiful.

What year is your E10SS? Mine is one of the early ones, built fall 2012, likely in the 1st run of production; left set-up shop in January of 2013. It has REALLY opened up.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster

Last edited by earri; 11-28-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Looks like Kulak's, haven't been there in a while. Awesome performance, Scott.
Wow, that's so kind of you, Ted. Yes, Kulak's. I've been recording there live, mostly solo, for the last three years or so.

Ted, for me and the other folks reading this, do you still offer the E-5SS and the E15SS? If so, could you maybe place a link here in this thread and also explain to me and the folks at home the difference between those and the 10 & 20.

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 11-28-2016, 12:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
I know the feeling. Put I nice new (big) mojo mark in mine the other day, when my dog suddenly got spooked by something and kicked it off the couch. No worries, it's mine and always will be.

Nice Job BTW there Scott on the tune; Beautiful.

What year is your E10SS? Mine is one of the early ones, built fall 2012, likely in the 1st run of production; left set-up shop in January of 2013. It has REALLY opened up.
Ear, similar to me: I put a ding and a crack (luckily, just the finish) on the top just below the bridge. Know why? I made the mistake one time of transporting it to a gig in only a gig bag, and somewhere along the line it got ding. Arrgh!

Thanks for the kind words on the tune. Are you familiar at all with the songs of Michael Smith? He came out of Chicago the same time as Steve Goodman and John Prine, although he is far less known. "The Dutchman" is his most well-known tune, covered by Goodman, The Clancys, Jerry Jeff Walker and many others. Fabulous songwriter, and considered by many, including me, one of America's greatest living writers. He wrote a lot of funny tunes with Goodman, including "Elvis Imitators" and "Talk Backwards."

I bought the E-10SS from Zissou Intern on here, who bought it from the original owner. Does yours have the 1.75" nut? I believe they changed that somewhere along the way.

Ted, do you know the history of the nut on the E-10SS?

Keith, if you're lurking in here (he keeps begging me to sell it back to him, but that ain't ever gonna happen), could you please let us know what year that E-10SS?

If he was stupid enough to sell it to me, I was smart enough to buy it. But Keith buys and sells guitars like underwear.

sm
Old 11-28-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's so kind of you, Ted. Yes, Kulak's. I've been recording there live, mostly solo, for the last three years or so.

Ted, for me and the other folks reading this, do you still offer the E-5SS and the E15SS? If so, could you maybe place a link here in this thread and also explain to me and the folks at home the difference between those and the 10 & 20.

Thanks again,
Scott
You know, it's been ten years since I went to Kulak's, Tevis was doing a set, it was right around when they started doing their live podcasts. Seen some great performances there over the years.

Regarding the E5, and E15SS, they started as a prototype based on the Gibson LG2, but they deided not to pursue the model. I got a hold of one of the prototypes and asked Eastman if they could build me a few. They said yes, so I ordered some with Mahogany, (E5-SS) and Rosewood (E15-SS) back and sides. The guitars kept trickling over the next few years, in all about fifty guitars were shipped to us, and they we/are quite popular. As noted, they are a 00 based on the Gibson LG2, so a more rounded tone than the L00 body shape. I have one myself, and as a former Gibson collector, I have to say it's the best LG2 I have ever owned.

Getting back to you and Kulak's, I checked out your YouTube page and was flored by one of your originals. You got skills Mr. M. Please let me know next time you are there and I will try to catch the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2yQcuTdnbE

Old 11-28-2016, 01:39 PM

I got one of the (I believe) two prototype E5-SS's that Ted mentions. It's designated on the label as an ET5-SS. Since it's a smaller body guitar I suspect that it will be the last guitar standing as I continue to grow old and decrepit and eventually am unable to wrap myself around 16 inch jumbos. But I'm OK with that as this thing just rocks. It also blows away just about anything acoustic I've ever plugged in.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Keith, if you're lurking in here (he keeps begging me to sell it back to him, but that ain't ever gonna happen), could you please let us know what year that E-10SS?

If he was stupid enough to sell it to me, I was smart enough to buy it. But Keith buys and sells guitars like underwear.

sm
I sold it to you two years ago. And I think it was two years old then. I know it's not a really early version because it has the open back Ping tuners, not the boat anchor Grover Rotomatics.

And by the way, I go commando, so I change guitars way more often than my skivvies! My current E20SS has been in the house for 10 months now. Just sayin'.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I sold it to you two years ago. And I think it was two years old then. I know it's not a really early version because it has the open back Ping tuners, not the boat anchor Grover Rotomatics.

that's right about a spec cutoff time. mine is dated '12 (january), but has the roto-matic style tuners, as well as the 1 11/16" nw. but it also (like his) has the reddish-brown sunburst, where newer ones have a much darker sunburst on them.

that guitar sounded very nice with the 58. i could tell there was some compression on it, but ii sounds just like mine. in other words, very nice. they are great guitars.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
You know, it's been ten years since I went to Kulak's, Tevis was doing a set, it was right around when they started doing their live podcasts. Seen some great performances there over the years.

Regarding the E5, and E15SS, they started as a prototype based on the Gibson LG2, but they deided not to pursue the model. I got a hold of one of the prototypes and asked Eastman if they could build me a few. They said yes, so I ordered some with Mahogany, (E5-SS) and Rosewood (E15-SS) back and sides. The guitars kept trickling over the next few years, in all about fifty guitars were shipped to us, and they we/are quite popular. As noted, they are a 00 based on the Gibson LG2, so a more rounded tone than the L00 body shape. I have one myself, and as a former Gibson collector, I have to say it's the best LG2 I have ever owned.

Getting back to you and Kulak's, I checked out your YouTube page and was flored by one of your originals. You got skills Mr. M. Please let me know next time you are there and I will try to catch the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2yQcuTdnbE

Ted, sorry for terribly slow response: quite a long day.

On the E5-SS and the E15SS, those are quite wonderful guitars, as you so rightly state. They sure are doing some amazing work over there at Eastman.

On the songs, thanks again. I'm humbled that these things have come through me.

You probably wouldn't believe it, but I've been playing guitar more than forty years and only started writing songs about two years ago. I guess they were there the whole time. There's a much longer version of that story, but suffice it to say that the songs just started singing themselves to me several years ago, and most of the time I'm just transcribing.

Interesting you should choose "Love Appears..." cuz everyone really gravitates to that songs for some reason; it is by far the most popular of the personal songs. Believe it not, it was one of the first five songs I ever wrote. So strange.

I'm really honored that these songs have moved through -- that's the best I can describe it. Here's my channel if anyone's interested, about 1/3 covers like "The Dutchman, and 2/3 original.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdx...-poZ-2ZKD64Iug

Thanks, Ted, you're a true friend.

scott memmer
Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
that's right about a spec cutoff time. mine is dated '12 (january), but has the roto-matic style tuners, as well as the 1 11/16" nw. but it also (like his) has the reddish-brown sunburst, where newer ones have a much darker sunburst on them.

that guitar sounded very nice with the 58. i could tell there was some compression on it, but ii sounds just like mine. in other words, very nice. they are great guitars.
Mine is 1 11/16 nut, but with open back ping tuners (which, quite possible may have been an upgrade by previous owner, and darker sunburst. Eastman confirmed to me, however, that it was al late 2012 build and that would have been earlier production lines.

Scott:
I believe I've told you this before, but it appears that you have struck the elusive and sought after song writers vien. Your songs are inspired and talented.

Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Ear, similar to me: I put a ding and a crack (luckily, just the finish) on the top just below the bridge. Know why? I made the mistake one time of transporting it to a gig in only a gig bag, and somewhere along the line it got ding. Arrgh!

Thanks for the kind words on the tune. Are you familiar at all with the songs of Michael Smith? He came out of Chicago the same time as Steve Goodman and John Prine, although he is far less known. "The Dutchman" is his most well-known tune, covered by Goodman, The Clancys, Jerry Jeff Walker and many others. Fabulous songwriter, and considered by many, including me, one of America's greatest living writers. He wrote a lot of funny tunes with Goodman, including "Elvis Imitators" and "Talk Backwards."

I bought the E-10SS from Zissou Intern on here, who bought it from the original owner. Does yours have the 1.75" nut?
sm
I didn't know of Micheal Smith. I 1st discovered his songs through your rendition of, It's Snowing in Buchenwald, which is a haunting, magnifiscent song; one of my favorites.

My E10SS is 1 11/16 at the nut.

Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Old 11-29-2016, 12:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
I didn't know of Micheal Smith. I 1st discovered his songs through your rendition of, It's Snowing in Buchenwald, which is a haunting, magnifiscent song; one of my favorites.

My E10SS is 1 11/16 at the nut.
Earri, thank. I'm humbled by any attention my songs have drawn, mainly because they've just moved through me and I don't feel like I really own them. Ioot would be fair to say you own them as much as I do. Wherever songs come from, that's their source.

Here's another Michael Smith song called "Sister Clarissa," about his nun when he was a boy in Catholic School, equally stunning in its lyrical approach and narrative arch. Just a truly remarkable writer. He doesn't travel much to perform these days, but if you live near Chicago he frequently performs there and also does songwriting clinics. Truly an artist's artist. Here's the link to his website:

http://michaelpetersmith.com/ and here is "Sister Clarissa":

If anyone wants to repost any of my performances on Facebook or Twitter or wherever, you certainly have my permission. When I have more time I'll post "It's Snowing in Buchenwald," about the Nazi Concentration Camp," which seems to hit people really hard. I actully recorded it and then put it away for a year, since I have some dear friends who lost family in the Shoah, and as a Gentile I felt uncomfortable that I might make THEM uncomfortable. But them, after the Paris terrorist attacks, I felt called to perform it publicly, and it seemed okay with everyone.

Again, I'm humbled. The weird thing is, the songwriter scene here in L.A. is very clique-ish; it feels like high school all over again. I don't have time to participate in the clique, with the pick business and teaching English, so I'm on the outside looking in.

thanks everyone,
scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 11-29-2016 at 12:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion