The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-07-2015, 04:37 AM

Default Electric Guitar amps thread.

Curren stable are: Duncan Tube 84-40, Vox AC4TV and a little Traynor Bloc40b (bass).

Previous amps included a Davoli with two huge speaker cabs and a space for the amp to sit when transporting it; a Marshall 8240 Valvestate; Carlsbro Cobra 90 bass; Proamp Demon; and I even had my Dad's old Carlsbro Stingray briefly which I then sold on his behalf.

Previously when touring (we're talking 20 years ago) I got to use Vox AC30's and loved them, though the examples we had needed serious servicing. Recently I've been able to try out and use a Fender Deluxe Reverb live (lovely!) and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (very nice, flexible amp with just the right amount of power for small and medium gigs), as well as the Peavy Classic 30 (I liked it) and the hybrid Vox AC30 (didn't get on with that).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-07-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I got into building guitar amps as I wanted to give the person I worked with a small amp as a retirement gift. Played around with different ideas after that, got into building acoustic guitars now and amps have been pushed to the back for a while. I'll try and be brief about the amps. Mainly into Fender designs.

A Champ type amp with a 6V6. Have a switch to change the tone control from a Tweed tone knob to a Blackface stack with the tone knob now the treble control and a bass control. Scrounged parts and 70's stereo 10".

<<snippet pics>>
WOW! This deserves a thread all on its own, a "built my own amp" thread (unless you've already created one).
Old 01-07-2015, 10:21 AM

Yeah some nice work there - and some unusual tubes.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:59 PM

I should add here that the Fender Blues Jr is pound for pound, to my ears, the best amp for the buck! Especially if you play Tele!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
WOW! This deserves a thread all on its own, a "built my own amp" thread (unless you've already created one).
Thanks. Have done a couple over at tdpri.com. Just did a quick post of the finished, well sort of finished amps as not to hijack this thread. Do not understand but my post seems to be missing its pictures now. Going to do a copy and past here to see if they come up or not. Seem to be back now. Do you guys want a "built my own amp" thread? Was not sure if there were many people here that roll their own.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Have done a couple over at tdpri.com. Just did a quick post of the finished, well sort of finished amps as not to hijack this thread. Do not understand but my post seems to be missing its pictures now. Going to do a copy and past here to see if they come up or not. Seem to be back now. Do you guys want a "built my own amp" thread? Was not sure if there were many people here that roll their own.
Lots of us here would enjoy seeing you post a "built my own amp" thread. We've had them before (Clint did one last year and others as well).
Old 01-07-2015, 06:29 PM

1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb
1969 Fender Twin
Mesa Boogie Blue Angel
Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker
" " Subway Rocket
Vox AC30 TBX
PRS Dallas
Marshall Series 5
Marshall 1 watt Head
1983 Marshall 15 W combo
Fender Vaporizer (2-10's)
Orange Tiny Terror
(3) Music Man 210's
Acoustic: Schertler Jam150
AER C/60
Carvin AG210
Ultrasound DS-4/Pro 250
Old 01-07-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I just got a shipping notice for the rest of my Super Reverb kit; should be here next Tuesday. This'll be my second build, and my second build thread here. Looking forward to this one.

I just finished recording for my band, so my gear is free for amp sound clips now. Those will make a nice addition to the thread when it is done.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-07-2015, 11:07 PM

That's going to be a lovely amp. I don't know if it's the 10" speakers or what but the supers I've heard always have a very clear and solid tone. Is that a Mojotone kit?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
That's going to be a lovely amp. I don't know if it's the 10" speakers or what but the supers I've heard always have a very clear and solid tone. Is that a Mojotone kit?
It is. I liked the quality of the electronics and cabinetry for the tweed, so I went with them again.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I just got a shipping notice for the rest of my Super Reverb kit; should be here next Tuesday. This'll be my second build, and my second build thread here. Looking forward to this one.

I just finished recording for my band, so my gear is free for amp sound clips now. Those will make a nice addition to the thread when it is done.
So cool that you're doing your 2nd build, Clint. What a great use of one's time with great rewards afterwards.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've been playing a Mesa/Boogie LoneStar for several years now. Earlier this year Mesa/Boogie came out with the Mark Five:25 and I grabbed the first one for myself, but the LS has been "my" amp through so many bands/gigs it will likely remain my go-to.

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Hey Dru, you were looking for the little guys. Here's my VOX Li'l Night Train. Two watts going into an Egnater Rebel XT 1x12 cab. Lotsa fun and I only paid about $200 for the whole rig, brand new. (Yeah, it was a deal and no, I wasn't wearing a mask). This is a lot of fun and you get get a lot of nice sounds with the LP. Looks cool when the tubes are glowing too.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Hey Dru, you were looking for the little guys. Here's my VOX Li'l Night Train. Two watts going into an Egnater Rebel XT 1x12 cab. Lotsa fun and I only paid about $200 for the whole rig, brand new. (Yeah, it was a deal and no, I wasn't wearing a mask). This is a lot of fun and you get get a lot of nice sounds with the LP. Looks cool when the tubes are glowing too.

<<Snippet pic>>
Growler, great setup and a great deal. I'd pay $200 for that complete setup without hesitation. What speaker is in the Egnater?
Old 01-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Growler, great setup and a great deal. I'd pay $200 for that complete setup without hesitation. What speaker is in the Egnater?
Hi Dru, it's a Celestion Elite 80 that's custom voiced for Egnater.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars