The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTP View Post
$300 is pretty substantial! I'm eyeing the 150e, which can be found at most major American online sites for USD$699 (with gigbag). I realize the 150e comes with the ES (not the ES2) but a hypothetical $300 off the 150e's price of $699 makes it $399 for a plain 150 (no electronics) which just sounds like an unreal and highly tempting price.

I'm visiting a local store tomorrow that stocks the 150e for CAD$769... I'll inquire with them about how much cash I can take off to order a 150 without electronics.
According to the same Taylor price list the ES on the 200 series adds only $100, but before you get excited about a 150 at $599 you should know it is not available without electronics at this time. Guitars built in Tecate also don't come with modify a model options BTW.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:29 AM

I perform live and the consistency of amplified sound is one reason I am a Taylor fan. Now, I have the ES-N system as I play nylon, but the ES (N) does it for me, knobs and all!
Old 09-06-2014, 10:34 AM

With a little patience Taylor will build you anything you want.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 09-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
With a little patience Taylor will build you anything you want.
Maybe they will build 3 of what I want, then I get to pick out the best one.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I think this is an example of where the market supply is losing touch with market demand.
I actually think this is a case where a very small segment of the market thinks it is much larger than it really is
Old 09-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltoe View Post
Maybe they will build 3 of what I want, then I get to pick out the best one.
How much variation is there with the acoustics? My T5 and 2 T3/B electrics all play about the same. The T3/Bs both have different pickups, thus don't sound the same. The build consistency is extremely good among mine.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I think this is an example of where the market supply is losing touch with market demand. One time pre-installed electronics were the way to go with acoustics and considered state of the art. Not anymore I think. I am simpler and more traditional these days and I suspect I am not the only one.
The Taylor brain trust are very good business people, I'd be supprised if they didn't react and plan according to the basic principle of market supply and demand.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Chas View Post
The Taylor brain trust are very good business people, I'd be supprised if they didn't react and plan according to the basic principle of market supply and demand.
I agree that they are good business people. I think they are good at targeting the (stratified) average consumer very well. I don't think they are great business people though. Otherwise they would anticipate possible markets better. In this instance there are a lot of good electronics that are personal preferences for the (not average) consumer.

If more purely acoustic Taylors were in the store, then maybe more would be going home with these consumers. I certainly wouldn't buy a wooden guitar without first testing it.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Taylor built their business on the hoards of electric guitar players getting a bit older and wanting an acoustic. They designed a skinny neck that would feel familiar to guys used to playing strats. They cleaned up. Then they designed the bolt on neck and utilized CNC machines. Really had Martin spinning there for a while. I think the trend toward on board electronics evolved from their natural customer base, which, early on was rock n rollers.

I saw this over and over in the mid 70s. Electric players loved the necks and still do. I would say 80% of the people who show up to open mics plug in.

I'm also a firm believer that retailers stock what sells, and that many buyers are perhaps not so anal as some of us about our tone.

I'm a miced guitar tone kind of guy, which is probably why I like my Lyric so much.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

I'm also a firm believer that retailers stock what sells, and that many buyers are perhaps not so anal as some of us about our tone.
THIS. If customers wanted acoustic guitars without electronics, stores would have them, because Taylor makes it very easy for a store to get just that. Stores stock what they think will sell....
Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

But, electric guitar sound? What are you running it through?? My Taylor acoustics sound rich and very acoustic plugged in.
I personally find that the magnetic neckblock pickup in the ES sounds very "electric guitar" like regardless of what system you plug it into.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-06-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I personally find that the magnetic neckblock pickup in the ES sounds very "electric guitar" like regardless of what system you plug it into.
Yes it does, which is why they also connect it to a body sensor pickup.

I'm always amazed at the amount of ES hate here. I'd rather have a B-Band AST+UST, but can live with the ES.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:53 PM

The reason why I bought my taylor was for the electronics. I play in the worship team and I am planning to start going to open mic. It is plug and go and very easy to do. I also like the nobs and I don't have to go fishing in the sound hole for anything
Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ-500M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 09-06-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort722 View Post
The reason why I bought my taylor was for the electronics. I play in the worship team and I am planning to start going to open mic. It is plug and go and very easy to do. I also like the nobs and I don't have to go fishing in the sound hole for anything
+1 With all the ES bashing, many Taylor fans (myself included) love the electronics. YMMV of course...
Old 09-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
+1 With all the ES bashing, many Taylor fans (myself included) love the electronics. YMMV of course...
+2. No complaints whatsoever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion