The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 AM

Default Takamine vs Taylor

I'm planning to buy an acoustic guitar this summer (if I get I job!!) or if not in Winter. I'm used to nylon acoustics and of course I love fingerpicking that's mostly what I play. The model I've been seeing is the Takamine P3NC which is the Pro series 3, with NEX body, solid cedar top, solid sapele back and sapele sides, etc. How would this compare, let's say, to a Taylor 214ce? What I loved about the Taylor is the playability, and of course there aren't any Pro series takamines at my local guitar stores. I want something with good electronics (hence my interest in a Takamine), with good playability. Martin is not an option here because my Budget is around $1000, and I plan to buy a good Martin later some D-18, D-28 or even a D-35, so that's out. I'd thank any opinions on the Pro series, I didn't find much information since the whole line up changed like a year ago or so.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 AM

Question

That's a good budget. I think you'll find out you could buy used and get a great deal on a 3 series Taylor or a 15 series Martin. Nothing wrong with a 214, but if your use to the nut width of a classical, it might feel a bit more cramped on a 2 series vs. A 3.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 AM

If you don't mind going used, you may be able to find some Taylor 3xx or Taylor 4xx series within your budget. Going 3XX and up will get you a guitar with solid back and sides. You can probably find some at guitar center's in store used section.

Personal shoutout would have to go to the mahogany topped Taylor 322 which I've only seen once fall below $1000 and I failed to snatch it up. It's a fairly new line. Taylor makes a fine guitar. Takamine does too, as I'm now the proud owner of a Takamine LTD peak. If I had to be honest, the Takamine doesn't feel as good as a Taylor 322 personally but it does a darn good job of sounding fantastic while amplified and it's a wonderful stage guitar.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:27 AM

In that budget you can find a lot of great guitars.
Master built Epiphone, Alvarez Masterworks, Breedlove Atlas 250,
As well as what has already been mentioned.

And if you are willing to go used...a thousand dollars can get you into quite a good guitar.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Tarts View Post
If you don't mind going used, you may be able to find some Taylor 3xx or Taylor 4xx series within your budget. Going 3XX and up will get you a guitar with solid back and sides. You can probably find some at guitar center's in store used section.

Personal shoutout would have to go to the mahogany topped Taylor 322 which I've only seen once fall below $1000 and I failed to snatch it up. It's a fairly new line. Taylor makes a fine guitar. Takamine does too, as I'm now the proud owner of a Takamine LTD peak. If I had to be honest, the Takamine doesn't feel as good as a Taylor 322 personally but it does a darn good job of sounding fantastic while amplified and it's a wonderful stage guitar.
I agree. 314ce is a popular guitar so you can usually find them used. 310/GA3 you'll save even more because there is no cutaway or electronics.

cgarza120, you will probably find very little tonal difference between the 214ce and the 114ce, the 114ce being less expensive. Bob Taylor has mentioned that the differences in laminate between those two series do not change the tone, just the looks. Just something else to consider.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

The Tak will have a warmer, rounder, sound and makes a lovely and responsive f/s instrument with the solid cedar top and scalloped bracing. Also the solid sapele back/laminate sides adds a crisp resonance. The necks are a dovetail joint, an asymmetrical design and fit very comfortably in my hand, add to that the 12" fb radius and you have a very comfy player. Most of all though the CT4BII electronics imho have a much more natural flavor and easy to dial in a good sound through a PA or an amp such as a Fishman Loudbox. On the downside you may not care for the narrower 1 11/16 nut. The Taylor will have a brighter and thinner sound but with nice bass imho with the solid Sitka top and laminate eir b/s, however, a very comfy neck as well and a 1 3/4 nut. I favor the Tak electronics over the Taylor ES. I've played several 214's; the all black, the burst and have to say they play nice look very cool but at the end of the day overall I prefer the Tak tone and electronics http://youtu.be/1TfGtlPhAOk ...and they look cool too. Here is a nice demo of the 214 plugged in; http://youtu.be/uRyPluJ7x3c.
Both vids demo some f/s and all things considered in amp diffs and nails vs flesh you can get at least a picture of the tonal capabilities of these nice guitars. I rendered my opinion from playing them live tho, not from a video and you might wanna do the same.

Last edited by noledog; 03-07-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:51 AM

If you saved up another $200 or $300, you could probably get into a nice used D-18. Just food for thought.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 PM

I think I'll have a look a the Taylors because maybe I won't hear the differente in electronics. If I save I might get 314ce for my first all solid wood guitar or the martin d15m I havent played any all mahogany so... Bad luck I dont have the chance to try them very much!! I have to travel to USA to go to guitar center. I live in Mexico and the top of the line acoustic in the stores are the 314ce and no Martins at all!!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
The Tak will have a warmer, rounder, sound and makes a lovely and responsive f/s instrument with the solid cedar top and scalloped bracing. Also the solid sapele back/laminate sides adds a crisp resonance. The necks are a dovetail joint, an asymmetrical design and fit very comfortably in my hand, add to that the 12" fb radius and you have a very comfy player. Most of all though the CT4BII electronics imho have a much more natural flavor and easy to dial in a good sound through a PA or an amp such as a Fishman Loudbox. On the downside you may not care for the narrower 1 11/16 nut. The Taylor will have a brighter and thinner sound but with nice bass imho with the solid Sitka top and laminate eir b/s, however, a very comfy neck as well and a 1 3/4 nut. I favor the Tak electronics over the Taylor ES. I've played several 214's; the all black, the burst and have to say they play nice look very cool but at the end of the day overall I prefer the Tak tone and electronics http://youtu.be/1TfGtlPhAOk ...and they look cool too. Here is a nice demo of the 214 plugged in; http://youtu.be/uRyPluJ7x3c.
Both vids demo some f/s and all things considered in amp diffs and nails vs flesh you can get at least a picture of the tonal capabilities of these nice guitars. I rendered my opinion from playing them live tho, not from a video and you might wanna do the same.
Ive already seen those videos but man! I cant get enough of Mark Lucas he makes sing every single guitar so his reviews seem rather pointless, thank you for your information on the Tak!! If I cand find and play one Id seriously consider it, but without playing I may buy a Taylor because of the playability

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerpicking, proseries, takamine, taylor