The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTrunks View Post
My drummer is actually just bongos and a high hat and a little bass drum.

Im sure the Peavey would work ok for blues or something but i want 100% clean sound.
Actually, the Peavey is MUCH better than the Deluxe Reverb for clean tones, which is why I rarely gig w/ the Deluxe any more...great for bluesy rock, but not so much for jazz, Celtic, country, pop, swing or folk, and my trio does all of those in any given set.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAllanHall View Post
Actually, the Peavey is MUCH better than the Deluxe Reverb for clean tones, which is why I rarely gig w/ the Deluxe any more...great for bluesy rock, but not so much for jazz, Celtic, country, pop, swing or folk, and my trio does all of those in any given set.
That is likely due, at least in part, to the Peavey's solid state rectifier.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
That is likely due, at least in part, to the Peavey's solid state rectifier.
Absolutely.............SS Rectifier gives none of that tube rectification "SAG" us blues-rock guys love......
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Twins have a tube rectifier - no sag there. SS rectifier does not necessarily equal headroom, but it sure thins out the tone in some amps. My bassman does not do well with a SS rectifier.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM

I gigged with my silverface Deluxe Reverb for 15 years; just stopped last fall.
It was great in gigs of 50 people to 300 and never was overwhelmed. I love that amp and it definitely sounded better than the 100 watt London Reverb solid state amp that it replaced.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 PM

The Fender Bassman amps made between 1953-1962 had tube rectifiers. Fender switched to solid state ones with the advent of the Blonde 6G6-A in 1962.

The 1961-1963 Fender Twin (Blonde) and 1963-1967 Twin Reverb (blackface), had solid state rectifiers. The 1958 - 1960 Twin had a tube rectifier but the bias circuit rectifier was a selenium type.

The Deluxe Reverb didn't get a solid-state rectifier until the Fender Deluxe Reverb II came out in 1982. It was discontinued in 1986. The '65 Reissue has a tube rectifier.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Twins have a tube rectifier - no sag there. SS rectifier does not necessarily equal headroom, but it sure thins out the tone in some amps. My bassman does not do well with a SS rectifier.
Believe me, IF you push a tube rectifier hard enough you WILL get Sag and Compression. It is inherent in the tube and circuit.......
Old 06-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Believe me, IF you push a tube rectifier hard enough you WILL get Sag and Compression. It is inherent in the tube and circuit.......
This a true statement. I've been building tube amps for a long time. Everything from 1/4W micro amps to a monster, completely impractical 400W beast that will render you sterile if you hit a G chord just right. As he said, it's a trait of all pure tube circuits.

Sag and compression are the reasons most tube amp snobs (or aficionados, if you prefer ), like myself, love tube amps.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAllanHall View Post
The Peavey is still only a 2xEL84 amp. I'm not sure that it would have much more clean headroom than the 2x6V6 DR. They are both going to be in the 15 watt range before they start distorting.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
The Peavey is still only a 2xEL84 amp. I'm not sure that it would have much more clean headroom than the 2x6V6 DR. They are both going to be in the 15 watt range before they start distorting.
Depending on the Preamp circuit and the bias on the Output tubes.......
Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Depending on the Preamp circuit and the bias on the Output tubes.......
when i changed the tubes in the peavey a few weeks ago, i had some advice from someone in the peavey forum that said they dont need biasing.

maybe i need a new speaker in it, that might do the trick for me.
2009 Norman B18
2011 Larrivee L-03
Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTrunks View Post
when i changed the tubes in the peavey a few weeks ago, i had some advice from someone in the peavey forum that said they dont need biasing.

maybe i need a new speaker in it, that might do the trick for me.

If the amp is Cathode biased you should not need to rebias (although it is not a bad idea). If the amp is Fixed bias you definitely do need to rebias to get the most out of the new tubes. You can even voice the amp a bit by adjusting the bias point. Essentially the lower the bias point the earlier the amp will begin to breakup (output tube distortion). The higher the bias point the more clean headroom you will get. BUT, the bias point has to be within the operating parameters of the tube type or you risk ruining the tubes.

I think your amp is Fixed bias?

A speaker upgrade can be pretty significant for voicing the amp.

Last edited by terrapin; 06-07-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 AM

I replaced the stock speaker in my SFDR with an Eminence R W & B and the perceived sound level almost doubled. Plenty loud clean and still has that Fender sparkle. Celestions don't sound Fender to me.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananafist View Post
I replaced the stock speaker in my SFDR with an Eminence R W & B and the perceived sound level almost doubled. Plenty loud clean and still has that Fender sparkle. Celestions don't sound Fender to me.
Celestions don't sound Fender to me either. Vox or Marshall....Yes....Fender....No.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Celestions don't sound Fender to me either. Vox or Marshall....Yes....Fender....No.
My Fenders that use 12" speakers all have Celestions. No one's ever told me they don't sound like Fenders and they sure sound like Fenders to me too.

You guys maybe have been using the wrong Celestions? I'm not a fan of the G12M Greenback in an open back cab - not enough bass. And I'm not a fan of the Vintage 30 in an open back combo amp either: to bright and again, not enough bass.

But the G12H30 sounds awesome in an open back Fender, as does the G12-65 and the blue or silver G12 alnico. You just have to which one to use.

My old Vibrolux-Reverb has the original C10N 60's Jensens in it, although they've been reconed by Weber VST.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars