The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 AM

Default Who buys Taylor Electric solid body guitars???

I love my Taylor acoustic guitars but I wonder who buys and plays Taylor's solid body guitars. I wonder why Taylor even bothers making them! I don't know anyone who lusts after one the way players lust after a PRS, Stratocaster or Les Paul. Taylor must be selling them to somebody but I sure never see them being played in the rock, roots and blues bands I enjoy.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 AM

you need to get to a Taylor Roadshow and watch the demo. They are very impressive guitars.

-Dave
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26ce, 2006 Blueridge BR-361, 2011 GSMini, 1980 Ovation something or othe, Taylor 714cer
Old 03-06-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenbird View Post
I love my Taylor acoustic guitars but I wonder who buys and plays Taylor's solid body guitars. I wonder why Taylor even bothers making them! I don't know anyone who lusts after one the way players lust after a PRS, Stratocaster or Les Paul. Taylor must be selling them to somebody but I sure never see them being played in the rock, roots and blues bands I enjoy.
There was a time when some would ask, who buys Taylor acoustic guitars, and go on to say they didn't know anyone who lusted after them the way players did Martins, Guilds and acoustic Gibsons.

I know you were asking about solid-body guitars but another Taylor electric guitar that has been on the market a bit longer, the T5, outsells the ES-335.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 AM

Big name players also need to look COOL and act COOL> so that means tradition. There are ALOT of guitars that are nicers than say Gibby - Fender- and PRS by some smaller makers but they are not the ICONS so to speak so it is not COOL.

I have a Solid body Standard that I bought around a month ago and it is my favorite of any electric I have owned. And no where near as expensive as some OVERPRICED mains stays.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 AM

A wise man once observed that the best way to market and sell a very expensive car was to target those who already owned the same make and model. I think Taylor is wise to target its legions of owners with its electric guitars. I, for one, bought a SolidBody. A friend who is another Taylor owner played it and all but begged to trade his T5 for my SolidBody. I think once you're a fan of Taylor and get a chance to try a SolidBody, it's very easy to make an excuse to buy one.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 AM

I am lusting after one right now, and the only other electric I have right now is a PRS.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 AM

If I didn't have the "must-have" guitars already, I'd consider buying one of the SB double cutaway guitars.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM

It's going to take time and exposure for these guitars to catch on. I've only seen them in the flesh once and never had the chance to play one. And I spend a LOT of time in guitar shops!

So if you go into a shop.... One Acoustic Guitar looks like another to the average person. Guitar nuts like us excepted. A Taylor Dreadnaught looks like a Martin, looks like Yamaha - you're more inclined to pick one on sound, feel and tone. Taylor wins Point being, the familure shapes of acoustic guitars are not copyrighted property.

Electric? A Les Paul is a Les Paul and IMHO it's a thing of beauty. Same with a Tele or a Strat. But you can't just build a better Strat - Fender owns that shape! PRS has taken YEARS to become known. Taylor may make it but it will take time.

One comment - "cutting down others doesn't make you taller".
Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 AM

I bought a 2007 Solid Body Classic back in January and I now really only play two guitars my 09 716 and the solid body. The SB is so easy to play and just resonates to no end. I have 2 strats and a Les Paul that I haven't touched much since I got the SB. I recently made myself pull out the Strats and restring and tune them I tried playing them and they just don't seem to sing to me like they use to. Don't get me wrongI still love my Strats but the SB to me is definitely my guitar.
Heck I am even considering selling one of the Strats to try and find another
used SB
2010 Taylor T5 Custom
2008 Taylor Solid Body (Standard SB2)
2007 Taylor Solid Body (Classic SB1)
1999 Fender Am STD Hardtail Strat
Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Goldenbird:

Try one and you just may be one of those elusive Taylor SB customers.

I have a Fender CS Strat, a Fender American Delux Tele, a Gibson LP "Traditional", and 2 Parker Flys. Yet, the Taylor SB I own is very nice to have and play.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 AM

I think that this is a good question. I'm not an electric guitar person, so even the best explanations are too complex for me to understand. Seems to me like all of these crazy pedals could make a mediocre electric sound great. Sheesh, but what do I know.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 PM

I have never regretted the purchase of my SB walnut. It is one helluva guitar.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:54 PM

I was under the impression that the first Taylor solid Body guitars used non-standard pickups - pickups other than standard size Gibson style humbucker, P-90, Firebird, Tele and Strat pickups. Maybe I was wrong - I didn't look that closely. Now it seems that Taylor is building solid body guitars with standard size pickups. That, to me, would be very important because I rarely leave the stock pickups in an electric guitar. I'm always trying boutique and high end replacement pickups and I have some favorites that I tend to use in my Strats, Teles and Gibson guitars. Since Taylor solid body guitars rarely get mentioned on forums such as the Seymour Duncan Forum and others, I can only assume that the players who buy Taylor solid body guitars tend to be players who hang out here and who love Taylor's acoustic guitars.

Because I'm a Taylor lover, I'd love to try one - but I've never seen one offered at the any of the shops I frequent. Maybe in these hard economic times the smaller shops I tend to buy from don't want to take a chance investing in a Taylor solid body.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Cocobologist

Another satisfied Taylor SB Custom owner here. I have a couple Strats, a T5 and a Hamer Newport Custom, and the SB stands out as an outstanding guitar.

You don't hear about them swapping out pickups because they have designed and are building excellent pickups on their own. The High Definition and high Gain humbuckers really do a knock out job tonewise, and their single coils sound fantastic. To add to this is the easy way Taylor designed solderless pickup installation design. Five minutes start to finish pickup replacement.

Top shelf products!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 03-06-2011, 01:41 PM

here is mine

Love the satin finish.plays like a dream and I don`t need a chiropractor after playing it for long periods like some other tanks! has an acoustic ring that no other electric I have owned has had.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars