The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Roland Cube 60 and Taylor Expression system

I have a store credit at a place that has limited amp selections -- Stagg and Roland. I'm wondering how the Roland Cube 60 will suit my Taylor GS7. Appreciate any advice.

John
Old 12-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
I have a store credit at a place that has limited amp selections -- Stagg and Roland. I'm wondering how the Roland Cube 60 will suit my Taylor GS7. Appreciate any advice.

John
I would not get that one... If you want it for acoustic, get an acoustic amp.. they are characterized by having both a tweeter and a larger driver.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:20 PM

John,
A roland keyboard amp will sound a little better than the cube for acoustic.
kdonovan
Old 12-09-2008, 03:29 PM

Several Ibanez and Behringer are less and better than the cube; I think the Crate amp is good too.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 PM

John,
I use the Roland Cube60 with my T5s. It works great. The ES is similar in design. I have a 600 Special (614) with ES and it sounds great going through the Cube60. I run a line out into either the PA or an acoustic amp, Roland AC90. I cut the mids a little and boost the treble and bass on the ES a bit.
No the Cube 60 is not an acoustic amp. You may want to try the AC90 or something small and compact. But, go with your ears and what sounds good to you. A number of forum members are discovering how good the ES sounds going through a tube guitar amp. I agree with them. There is something in the electronics that works well with tube amps, (almost everything sounds great through tubes) although there are other concerns like feedback, and a simple soundhole feedback buster will work. It is a fact too that electric amps are voiced with much more prominent midrange and the speakers are not designed to cover as great a frequency spectrum as an acoustic amp. But tubes and other ss guitar amps can get you nice fat tone, which stays fat (or phat if you like) when you dial up the volume.
These are all options, and not maybe for the purists, but I would suggest just letting your own ears judge. The one thing you can almost always bet on is that everyone out there is looking for that perfect acoustic tone and few are satisfied. I think you should look to other options like the Cube60 and think outside the box.
In my setup, I simply run the T5 into the Cube60, use whatever onboard effects I want and run a line out. No more dragging around pedal boards, mini-racks, preamps upon preamps, etc.
It is simple and to me, the easiest and best sound I have had. The cost was minimal and now I concentrate on my playing and not so much the set-up and worry when what you did in the house doesn't work on the stage. The Cube60 is a great piece of gear and flexible for many guitar applications.
Remember though, it is not a Sunrise and Pendulum through Daedelus speakers. Different can be better, or at least, different.
davidc
Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 AM

I think the Roland Cube 60 would be a bad choice for use with an acoustic guitar. The Roland AC-60, while a better choice as it was designed for acoustic guitar amplification, depends on full-range speakers and has no tweeter. Therefore, if the only choice is a Roland amp, I would only consider the Roland AC-90 which does have a tweeter, 2 actually.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 PM

Thank, everyone. Really appreciate your insights. I'll save the store credit for something else, and pursue a true acoustic amp elsewhere. I know there are several reasonably priced options. Thanks again.

John
Old 12-12-2008, 04:44 PM

I really like the sound of my cube 30 set to JC clean... To me most of my acoustics sound pretty cool through it. Not super acousticy but I still like it. Just bought my second Cube 30 as a spare... also have 3 different battery cubes but not quite as good.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-15-2008, 09:43 PM

Just went to GC today to confirm what I said and to try out the Street Amp... what a waste of time. I'm afraid to say this but, the good Roland amps start at the AC-60, the tone coming out of it was perfect and acoustic, not electric like the other amps sounded.

Save and get the AC-60.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification