The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 PM

Default Turn a Taylor T5 into a Crowdster Plus

Hi, I'm new here and have a lot to learn about guitars. I was hoping for some advise.

What I would like to do it buy a used Standard spruce top Taylor T5. Then I would like to acquire a LR Baggs piezo pickup and have it installed on the T5.

Would that work? Do you have any other suggestions? Just to make things a bit more complicated I'm left handed. So if someone knows where I can get a used left handed Taylor T5 I would be grateful.

Thanks so much!

Hey I see your a golfer. Thats awesome! me too..

Last edited by bbasile777; 02-17-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

IMHO, you're better off just scoring a Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus. I A/B'd both on the spot. The Crowdster Plus's sonic, tonal, and resonant qualities far outweighed that of the Taylor T5. Contest over. But different strokes for different folks. Go with what interfaces best with your auditory threshold. Regards....Kabookie
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 02-17-2008, 02:18 PM

I have never played a Anderson Crowdster Plus. Or even seen one in person. I did see a few videos on you Tube of the Crowdster and was impressed by the acoustic sound. I could tell the acoustic sound was superior to the T5. But they are so much more expensive than the T5. I just thought I could drop the pickup in a used T5 and save some money. I also like the way the T5 looks better. But if I could pick up a used left handed Crowdster plus, I would give it serious consideration.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbasile777 View Post
Hi, I'm new here and have a lot to learn about guitars. I was hoping for some advise.

What I would like to do it buy a used Standard spruce top Taylor T5. Then I would like to acquire a LR Baggs piezo pickup and have it installed on the T5.

Would that work? Do you have any other suggestions? Just to make things a bit more complicated I'm left handed. So if someone knows where I can get a used left handed Taylor T5 I would be grateful.

Thanks so much!

Hey I see your a golfer. Thats awesome! me too..
The T5 has an acoustic pickup in it already as far as I know. The whole deal with them is that they are a hybrid electric/acoustic.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks sirflyguy, The T5 does have an acoustic pickup. But the T5 pickup is inferior to the Anderson Crowdster Plus pickup from what I have read and heard. I just want to put the Anderson Crowdster pickup in a used lefthanded T5.

My next option would be to just by a used Taylor T5 $1700 and then purchase a Taylor K4 to help with the acoustic sound. But I think those are like $500-$600

Anybody know any other way out of this expense? I have also been considering those Parkwood hybrids. Never seen or played one. But the video clips are good.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Guest 720

You can a new T5 for that amount, even less.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:32 PM

As someone who has owned and sold two T5s and now plays a Crowdster Plus, I'd say wait and save up for the C+. The fact that you need a lefty makes it more difficult--you could find a righty used.

I can't say enough good things about the guitar. Last night we had two Crowdster Plus guitars through the Bose L1 Model II. It sounded great.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:32 PM

One of our members did this and had a nice clip somewhere... can't find it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ght=ASchroeder
Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrhd View Post
You can a new T5 for that amount, even less.
What is the name of the place that would sell a new left handed T5 for $1700 or less? I would prefer less

Thanks so much!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:51 PM

I appricate your advise. Your You-Tube clip is the 1st time I heard the Crowdster Plus. You guys sound really good! The ACP gets very very high marks from me. Not that I know a lot out equiptment. I just go by what sounds good to my ears.

I really do wish I could get a ACP, but its just out of my price range. May I ask what you think of just getting the T5 and adding a K4. Seemed like those two together sounded pretty good on Taylors web site.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Thanks DMZ, I am going to go read that thread.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:56 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Earthworm's YouTube vid is a jewel. Have you ever seen two more relaxed cats than them spending a lazy, late summer day in the Minnesota sun? Check out this pair of Tom Anderson Crowdster Plusses Tim and Joe are playing.

Best regards.....Kabookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAYVSPmqz0
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabookie View Post
Earthworm's YouTube vid is a jewel. Have you ever seen two more relaxed cats than them spending a lazy, late summer day in the Minnesota sun? Check out this pair of Tom Anderson Crowdster Plusses Tim and Joe are playing.

Best regards.....Kabookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAYVSPmqz0
Kabookie- Thanks for the clip. These guys are awesome! Wish I had that kind of talent.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
As someone who has owned and sold two T5s and now plays a Crowdster Plus, I'd say wait and save up for the C+. The fact that you need a lefty makes it more difficult--you could find a righty used.

I can't say enough good things about the guitar. Last night we had two Crowdster Plus guitars through the Bose L1 Model II. It sounded great.
Earthworm- I really like that Light in this world song. Great tune! I want to post my stuff on you tube someday. I'm just not ready yet and I'm saving for a cam corder. But once again I give you props on your music and those ACP's.

I'm sorry to bombard you with questions. But may I ask a few more? What is your system like?

I just have a Genz Benz Shenandoah 60 stereo. The effects are nice, but I cannot customize them for both lines. What the guitar output has the voice basically must have also or nothing. I need separate effects for my guitar and microphone, like stereo chrous, delay, reverb, ect.

Do you just use effect pedals? Or is it a all in effect box.

I asked you about your thoughts on getting a T5 and K4 too on one of my other replys. Just thought I would wrap everything up in one message.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 PM

I am among one of the few here who had a T5 and sold it in favor of a Crowdster Plus. The C+ is really a superior sounding instrument both as an acoustic and electric. If you're on a budget, you could try and mod your T5 and as you suggested, stick an LR Baggs Element piezo in the guitar and run 2 strap jacks out of the guitar: 1 for the acoustic (Baggs Element) and 1 for the electric (ES electronics). So what you can do is run them into directly into a mixer and adjust your sound. There's a few different combinations you can run if you were to do a dual source but adding a Baggs piezo would make the T5 sound much more acoustic. Just some food for thought.
Larrivee OM-03R

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars