The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-02-2017, 10:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy View Post
Very nice Steve....I should have waited and got one of these instead.

Just kidding, I love my Edwinson as is....BUT, I may have to get on your build schedule for one of these.

Jim Gager
Thanks, Jim! I'm so glad you are still diggin' the Consort. I'm going to keep on making these guitars as long as I can still lift a chisel, so any time you want to upgrade, I'm here! Be well, and prosper!
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Very nice, Steve, and some stellar photography to boot.
Btw--what woods did you use in the rosette? (Forgive if you've already stated that.)

Steve
Thank you, Steve! Great to have you as a colleague and friend. As for the photography- I'm using a Canon G15- a great camera- but it's not impervious to shop dust. In some of the photos, you can see vague circular blotches in the blue background. That's specs of dust on the image sensor. Next time I upgrade my camera gear, I'm going to get an underwater housing to protect it from these workshop hazards. Getting a refurb on the camera costs about half as much as the camera itself! Ouch.

I broke one of my conventions with the rosette by using some woods that don't appear elsewhere on the guitar; but they look harmonious, so I thought, why not?
The inner and outer rings are Zebrawood; The tiles are Claro Walnut burl and Spalted Maple. Also, there are various sizes of copper rings, cut from tubing, surrounding black MOP dots. Thanks for asking!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
I would be thrilled to have an Edwinson. I just love where you are taking your designs. Love the new headstock. I definitely want one of those. In addition to the great beauty of your guitars, and your reputation for quality of tone, you seem very kind. That matters to me. I wish you great success.
Jamie...
You are correct. Aside from his ability to craft exceptionally wonderful acoustic guitars with one foot planted in tradition, and the other foot stepping into the future, Steve is one of the nicest human beings that you will ever meet in your lifetime. He is truly as genuine in real life as he presents himself to be here on the forum. There aren't many people whom I would feel comfortable inviting into my shop to work with me, but Steve is definitely the exception, and I am eagerly awaiting his arrival here in Fairhope.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 05-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Smile Very nice thread

I am enjoying this one a lot! The headstock really intrigues me. Glad to read that it is easy to string up!!!

Also glad to see Howard Klepper's Wabi Sabi thread influencing other folks. GREAT Tonewoods are obviously increasingly rare. I REALLY believe we need to let go of the compulsion to have "Perfect Looking" wood.

Not that long ago Bearclaw and sapwood were considered defects, and now we embrace them. As Duke Ellington said, about music, "If it sounds good it is good!"

Putting my moolah where my mouth is, I am about to receive a new axe from John Kinnaird and have asked him to select the woods based on TONE first, and Looks second.

Keep up the BEAUTIFUL work and thanks for sharing!

I bet your new owner is STOKED!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-12-2017, 12:40 AM

Default Locking threads

I'm the client Steve mentioned as the source of the "Casimi" influenced open headstock design. I am intrigued by the straight-thru from nut to post concept and asked Steve to use that as a design goal. We had already discussed our mutual admiration of the Casimi design, and agreed to play off that motif.

I'm thrilled with the result.

I am a 3 time Edwinson purchaser, with my second custom build underway. It is in fact Steve's number 100, though subsequent guitars have been finished since the start of "Kilmer"' a Tree/tunnel 13, project.

Steve has become a good friend over the course of our dialogues, and I recently hosted him at my home to talk about the "Kilmer" build and to enjoy each other's company.

I am committed to the concept that stresses that the luthier experiences show up in his finished project, so by mutual accord, we have agreed that Steve only work on my guitars when he is in a Zen-like state of mind, able to go deep into the "zone", and tap into his inner wabi-sabi.

Steve is a magician, able to give life to dreams. All of the plaudits that you see here in the custom shop are the result of the singularity of vision of a truly "good" man, an artist, and a striver to be more. The Blackwood Rose he built for me came to mean nearly as much to him, as it did to me.

I'm extremely excited by his move to Fairhope. I fully expect him to take his "game" to the next level, and to surprise us with what is yet to coalesce from his creativity.

If you are not on Steve's build list, get on it now before the wait becomes unbearable.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:44 AM

I have been a quiet fan from afar for the 'Edwinson' in all renditions. It seems to keep getting better! I like how the 'wabi-sabi' tracks into this discussion. It hurts me to think about how many potentially great sounding tops get passed by because they don't 'look' right. We all have ears and eyes but ears should rule in the guitar business. I am open to anomaly if the builder says 'Its got this slight flaw that will show up in the finish, but she rings like a bell!" I'm great with that.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Music soothes the soul!

This Kilmer sounds more than interesting. Need to hear/see more !!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop