The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Taylor SolidBody with Bigsby...will it work?

Hey y'all just wondering if anyone tried this already.

I really want Bigsby with my Taylor but from what I know, semi-hollow and hollow body guitars that uses Bigsby trem usually has a bridge that rocks back and forth with the trem. So I was thinking of installing the Bigsby, running the string from the Bigsby through the Taylor Solidbody bridge then to the tuners. Also loosen the bridge under the back plate so that the bridge rocks with the Bigsby.

I think it's a great idea, but I am wondering if the intonation and the tuning will still be accurate.
because if the either just does not work for me, then there's no going back because you need to screw in the Bigsby, and if you take it out then you got nasty holes on the top.

So what do you think? Will it work? Or is it a bad idea?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

A few thoughts:

1) Many guitars with Bigsbys have fixed, non-rocking bridges. Whether or not that's a good idea is open to debate.

2) From looking at pictures of the Taylor bridge, I don't think there's enough clearance to give you the break angle you'd need to have good contact between the strings and the saddles.

I think, if you did this, you'd end up regretting it. It would be really difficult to reverse if you didn't like it....
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 12-16-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
A few thoughts:

1) Many guitars with Bigsbys have fixed, non-rocking bridges. Whether or not that's a good idea is open to debate.

2) From looking at pictures of the Taylor bridge, I don't think there's enough clearance to give you the break angle you'd need to have good contact between the strings and the saddles.

I think, if you did this, you'd end up regretting it. It would be really difficult to reverse if you didn't like it....
Ditto. I'd say keep the Taylor "as is" and look for a Gretsch or something that has a Bigsby already. Oh, Bigsbys are like another other tremolo system - tough to set up.

Ovation CSE24
Old 12-17-2008, 10:09 PM
.tom the übergeek

just do the right thing and get one of these. they are AWESOME!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification