The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Anyone doing Tri Source Systems?

Say a Magnetic, UST and SBT? Or Mag, mini-mic and UST?

I didn't search the archives but I thought that I would throw it out there. I've heard some rumblings but not much about them.

Would it be too complicated? Or for that matter, how would you do it?

Comments welcomed.

Churchman
Old 12-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

I tried a mag/sbt/mic combination for a while. Rather redundant. I returned to a sbt/mic.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Ive been using a magnetic/mic combo (Rare Earth or Duncan MagMic) with a K&K, which gives me effectively a 3 way. I only use a touch of the mic. I don't find it redundant, but I wouldn't claim the mic adds a lot, it's subtle. The setup works nicely for me. It helps that I like both of those magnetics, so the mic is just a bonus.

One commercial 3-source system that was discussed here a while back is the K&K powermix trinity, which combines a UST, SBT, mic, and onboard electronics with independent volume and 3 band tone controls for each.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

I have used a Sunrise/K&K PWM/Schertler Dyn-G set up. That is very, very nice. I send a mono blend of the Sunrise/K&K to one channel of my Pendulum SPS-1 and the Schertler to the other channel. I really like it but it's a lot to set up and tear down each time.

Matt
Old 12-13-2008, 10:56 AM

I've got the Fishman Rare Earth Blend.......old style. I was never fond of the way the mic screwed onto the pickup. The little Allen screw that holds it in place was just too small. I was tinkering with it the other day and I believe that I've finally managed to strip it out. I think that idea was good that you could move the mic from inside the sound hole to the outside of the sound hole but I don't think the srew could take it.

I see that Fishman has came out wiht a new model though that looks like the mic is fixed only for the inside of the guitar.

Doug's got my curiosity up though....I might have to get the Rare Earth out today and play with it in place of the MI's.

After a lot of thinking, I finally bit the bullet and got a iBeam UST and passive M1 that I'm gonna try today. Remeber that I have the M1 Active also. After all of your advice, I went ahead with a SBT instead of a UST for my second source. I got the iBeam for 70 bucks from MF under a open box policy so I figure if it doesn't work well.... it's removable, it's only 70 bucks lost or I could always send it back and I would not have to take my J45 in to have it modified. And I can always go have the UST installed later if I don't like it.

I don't have a up to date blender but I still have the RANE AP13 that I purchased over 15 years ago that I haven't used in a while. I intend on using it to hear my first thoughts, although I not fond of carring around rack gear anymore as I take the train down to Chicago a lot to play. I like traveling light.

I'll let you know my results.....thanks for everyone's help here. This site is a valuable tool.

Churchman
Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 PM

i use the powermix trinity and I must say it's quite a huge difference from just the PWM.. would I pay so much for a brand new set (got mine used), i don't know. =)

but I just did a recording somewhere here comparing the PWM and the P-mix trinity. it's ALOT of tweaking... but it takes my mind off other guitars...
Old 12-15-2008, 04:18 PM

Fishman rare-earth blend wired in stereo (1 output for Mic, 1 for mag), Emg UST.
3 channels on a mini mixer, different EQ, compression and reverbs for each channel. Lovely!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM

Hmmm....you all have got me thinking about the Fishman Rare Earth more and more. Glad I didn't sell it.

Per my last email, is the microphone more secure on the new model than the older ones?

Churchman
Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 PM

Hi Guys,
in my taylor 354 12 string i use a combo of;
K&K Powermix pure (undersaddle & Pure western) &
A Baggs M1 active.
I must say that this is the best sounding 12 string pickup that i have ever heard
I blend at about;
40% Pure western
40% M1
20% undersaddle
its the biggest sound that i have ever heard
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification