The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Default New guitar / review

I have been looking for a smaller guitar being that all I own is dreds. A guitar that will fit better in the truck, sitting on a camp chair, etc. No more that $500 was the goal and I love the sound of mahogany and sapele woods. Being that I'm a taylor fan I tried the baby and of course the gs mini that everyone seams to love. The gs mini was nice but like others have said, not 1 3/4 nut width. I stumbled upon a guitar a couple weeks ago a a local shop, it was a ibanez ac240e. Almost as small as the gs mini but has the 1 3/4 nut! I played it for a half hour or so and really loved it. Solid mahogany top and mahogany back/sides. $400 for the 240e and they didn't have just the 240. I didn't need the electronics so I walked away thinking about it. Did quick check on Craigslist and there was one without electronics for $160!!! Grabbed it right away! This guitar is a winner, sounds great, very clean and pretty balanced. The 1 3/4 is great because I'm used to it. Very low action without buzzing and just a fun guitar to play. I recommend you guys looking at gs minis to give it a shot.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Forgot to say that I waited a week to post this because I wanted to give a fair judgment on the guitar. Broke the new strings in that I put on it the first day and played it along side my dn3, it did well. Keeps up with vigorous strumming and sounds good playing soft and quiet.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 AM

I am a firm believer that price does not dictate quality and brand is not what will suit you best. Every player has his own expectations from an instrument about playability, sound and style. Some have long thin fingers and some short and stubby, nut widths vary because hands vary.

I have a very cheap Alvarez 12 string that is the finest playing, fullest sounding 12 string I have EVER played... I LOVE it, you might not. I also have a very expensive Taylor LTG. It is the finest playing, best sounding guitar I have ever payed, and I love it! You may not.

I bought both guitars after playing them and was lucky at the time that I could afford the Taylor, but it was bought NOT because it was a Taylor, but because I loved how it sounded and played in my hands for my style. (And the fact that it is historically significant and beautiful prompted my wife to urge me to buy it. :-) )
Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Sounds like you made a great buy with the Ibanez, Congrats! Are you planning on playing it mostly away from home?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sounds like you made a great buy with the Ibanez, Congrats! Are you planning on playing it mostly away from home?
Not just away from home, it hangs on the wall with the other cheap guitars while the Taylors are in the cases. So it's a nice grab when I want to play for 5-10 min. I will be leaving for camping Sunday morning so it will get its first beat run in front of the fire.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Congrats, I love mahogany topped guitars. Enjoy the Ibanez
Old 07-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMRU45 View Post
Not just away from home, it hangs on the wall with the other cheap guitars while the Taylors are in the cases. So it's a nice grab when I want to play for 5-10 min. I will be leaving for camping Sunday morning so it will get its first beat run in front of the fire.
What a great way to christen a guitar, around a campfire. Enjoy!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What a great way to christen a guitar, around a campfire. Enjoy!
Can't wait! Taking the kid and girlfriend to the white mountains for 4 days! Should be able to unwind and play a ton.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion