The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 06-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Thumbs up

recieved my sample pick in the mail today. Usually i play the Dunlop ultex or tortex .88.
the sample pick i recieved (a classic) felt a bit thicker, but i really like the feel of it, i like that it doesnt get sweaty & slide around in my fingers (usually i punch holes in my picks to help with this), & i really like the sound. seems like my old Guild sounds a little warmer & rounder if that makes any sense.
thanks Chris--i think i discovered a new favorite pick

oh--really love the red!
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg

Last edited by kdn; 06-24-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: had a thought
Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 PM

Got my (.75mm classic) sample pick from Chris the other day but have just had a chance to a/b it with my Dunlop Ultex .60mm. I immediately noticed that the Gravity gave my guitar (a 00 Fender) a more articulate voice, better note separation, and a more lively sound. On single note picking this is a very good thing. On chords it makes it just a bit too bright. This is a pretty bright guitar to begin with so I don't really need anything to accentuate that. However, when I put it down and played with the Dunlop again I missed the extra "life" the Gravity pick seemed to add. I do have brand new strings on it so once they mellow out a bit I will try the Gravity again. I do plan on buying an all mahogany guitar soon and look forward to trying it out on that as well. Very cool picks. Thanks Chris!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:10 AM
*mahoganut*

Hi Chris - I just ordered a selection and look forward to giving them a try!

Best,

Phil
Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 PM

I just received my sample in the mail today. I usually play Tortex .60 and .73 sizes on acoustic and .88 on electric. Chris sent two of the Classics. The red measures 1.43 mm and the clear 0.75 mm (what, doesn't everyone have digital dial calipers sitting around?). The red Classic 1.5 is quite a bit thicker than I'm used to, but sounded really great playing my Tele. I'm definitely going to play with that one some more. The clear 0.75 felt really nice on my Martin 000-28EC. Even though I've been used to the tortex tooth, I felt the Gravity pick was quite secure in my hands. Both picks seems to grip the strings in a way that produced a more defined, clear tone. It was actually really striking playing the Tele unplugged.

Thanks again to Chris for sending these out so quickly. I took a few quick appreciation photos.

Last edited by force_quit; 06-23-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 PM

I got my pick in the mail today. Already it won some points for being red. I haven't got to play it much yet. That is for tomorrow. The one thing I can say that I really like about it over my ultex picks so far is the laser engraving. It gives it a nice grip.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Shucks, how did I miss out on this thread! 4 dollars for a good pick is a bargain...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 PM

Hey Chris. Just ordered the .75 mm classic and classic XL. I'll let you know what I think. Good luck with the business.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I received my sample pick yesterday from Chris. He kindly mailed me a 1.5mm classic and i've really been enjoying it. I'm mainly a finger picker but this pick has a wonderful round tone that I'm going to really enjoy.

Thanks again, Chris!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 PM

These picks are made out of sheets of cast acrylic. They are then laser engraved and cut out into the individual picks. Next is to grind and polish each pick one by one. Thats basically it.

I got one of these, in red, to review.

I have to say they are a really nice pick. the laser etching on them gives them a nice solid grip in your fingers and they don't fight you sliding off the strings. I'm not having to re-adjust while strumming/picking which is nice. It keeps the flow going better. Also they are red so that wins major brownie points. While the classic is called classic it is slightly different shape them the standard 351 shape.

They have a nice round sound, and like I said they slide off the string nicely. They are close in feel and sound to the Ultex picks but had a bit more grip.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 PM

just got my pick in the mail today and first impressions are, this pick is awesome...great tone and easy to hold...I’m looking forward to putting it through the test!

I’m going to have some friends try it out as well!!!

Thanks again!

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityPicks View Post
Gravity Guitar Picks

http://www.gravitypicks.com
.................................................. .................................................. ..... I would appreciate any feedback on the site and/or the picks.

Chris

Nice looking site. Have you considered (is it possible?) making some thumbpicks?
Old 06-25-2011, 12:28 PM

Default Classic Pick

Chris,

Received my classic pick in red two days ago (very fast shipping!). I have now been using it for two days and it is awesome. I was using the medium fender picks for a while and the fender does not compare to this classic. When I place it in my finger it just stays there, does not move at all like there is glue on it. This is the first pick I have ever used that does this. The one I received is thicker than the fender medium that I have been using but I like this thickness better. The sound is very nice when it touches the strings. I think you have a winner with this one!!!

Thanks for letting me try your pick and now I have to place a order for some more.

Thanks again,
Garyy
Old 06-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by force_quit View Post
I just received my sample in the mail today. I usually play Tortex .60 and .73 sizes on acoustic and .88 on electric. Chris sent two of the Classics. The red measures 1.43 mm and the clear 0.75 mm (what, doesn't everyone have digital dial calipers sitting around?). The red Classic 1.5 is quite a bit thicker than I'm used to, but sounded really great playing my Tele. I'm definitely going to play with that one some more. The clear 0.75 felt really nice on my Martin 000-28EC. Even though I've been used to the tortex tooth, I felt the Gravity pick was quite secure in my hands. Both picks seems to grip the strings in a way that produced a more defined, clear tone. It was actually really striking playing the Tele unplugged.

Thanks again to Chris for sending these out so quickly. I took a few quick appreciation photos.

Thanks so much. That picture is INCREDIBLE! It is on my desktop right now.

Tons more samples from last night, today and Sunday will be going out on Monday.

Chris

Premium, Handmade Guitar Picks. With great care and precision, we offer these to you. Available in all Sam Ash Music locations.

http://www.gravitypicks.com
Old 06-27-2011, 08:40 AM

I've had my 1.5mm Classic Standard for several days now (thanks, Chris). I compared it to my Wegen, Blue Chip, Red Bear, and Dunlop Ultex.

My impressions:

1. The Gravity moves across the strings as well as any of the above, or any that I've tried. There is perceptibly no drag or - conversely - no skidding or slipping.

2. And it feels comfortable and secure between the fingers, the grip is very good. It is one of the best no-slip picks I've used.

3. These two features equate to a pick that is easy to maneuver and control regardless of attack.

4. Pick noise/slap is not as quiet as the Blue Chip, but no greater than the others I compared it to. When recorded, the noise is practically negligible.

5. Tone is on a par with the Wegen and Red Bear, better than the Ultex (not as thin), but not as round and rich as the Blue Chip. However, for my bass-heavy HD-35, the Gravity cuts through and levels any muddiness and produces a clearer, sharper sound than the Blue Chip.

Overall I am extremely impressed with the Gravity. It is already the pick I reach for after the Blue Chip, and will be the one I carry around on a daily basis.

Chris, one suggestion is to provide a scale to compare your picks to (maybe it's there and I missed it). My Standard was smaller than I anticipated and I was concerned about not being able to control such a small pick. As it turned out, it is very easy to control.

Thanks for the sample, thanks for making such a nice pick.

Edit: I forgot a very important feature: the price point is fantastic - maybe too low? - people may not believe it can be as good as it is for such a low cost.

Last edited by Misty44; 06-27-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 AM

Received a free sample from Chris. I play dunlop ultex .78s on my acoustics so I asked Chris for a classic standard .75. Here are my thoughts:

Tonally, I liked it. To my ears, it rounded things out a bit and gave individual notes some more definition at the same time. This may sound like a contradiction, but trying to make sense of another's impressions of tone is a a bit crazy anyway.

It felt good in my hands/fingers. It has a bit of grip to it. For me, it was less the laser engraving (as some others have mentioned) and more the nature of the acrylic itself.

The pick is a bit smaller than the ultex--not much, but I'm used the to the slightly larger size and prefer it. If the gravity pick were just a bit larger, I'd like that. However, this is not a big enough issue to deter me from using the gravity picks.

The classic standard is clear, which can make it hard to see sometimes after you set it down. Plus, the colored picks look very cool. It would be great to have some colored options in this model.

Stiffness seemed a bit less than the ultex and I wish that it was a bit stiffer. Jumping from the .75 to a 1.5 isn't what I'm talking about here. I'd prefer something in .8 or .85 and something around 1. Maybe just personal preference, but that's what all of this is, right?

One other issue is price. Overall, I like the picks. But do I like them enough to buy them at $4? Not sure yet. If it was just a bit thicker, I'd definitely buy a few and see how it went. As it stands right now, I'll play the sample Chris sent a bit longer and see how much it grows on me.

Nice product Chris and a good marketing plan to get these out and people' talking about them. Thanks for the sample!

Greg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace