The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-15-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default new Reaper

Well, Reaper's generous trial period policy got the better of my guilt, and I finally ponied up their very reasonable private user fee license and joined the family.

as expected, some growing pains...also a new Scarlett 18i20 interface in the rack, and having trouble assigning specific inputs to specific tracks in reaper. (I assume that's even possible, right?) Based on Reapers very user-friendly screens, I'm sure I'm overlooking the obvious, staring me right in the face.

Interestingly, (and correct me if I'm wrong, Scarlett users) but the scarlett must be connected to a computer via USB to function--meaning I can't just monitor and mix inputs with headphones, without being connected? before connecting the USB-c to my macbook, I got power, but was unable to do anything like activate phantom power or monitor the input levels.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-15-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
as expected, some growing pains...also a new Scarlett 18i20 interface in the rack, and having trouble assigning specific inputs to specific tracks in reaper. (I assume that's even possible, right?) Based on Reapers very user-friendly screens, I'm sure I'm overlooking the obvious, staring me right in the face.
Assuming you have the Focusrite ASIO drivers installed on your computer, you ought to be able to see all the interface inputs & outputs. I only have a 2i2 so can only see two channels, but in Reaper, go to Options > Preferences (or ctrl-p), then under Audio > Device, choose ASIO for Audio System, then Focusrite USB ASIO for driver, and you should be able to see and enable the Scarlett inputs & outputs.

Once you have the device set up in Reaper, on each track you go to the "input" selector and choose which input channel(s) (mono or stereo) you want to record on that track.

If still not working, bring up the Focusrite Control app (from the bottom-right down-arrow System Tray) and see if there are settings there. I don't have anything relevant for the 2i2 but it's possible the 18i20 has some different settings.

Quote:
Interestingly, (and correct me if I'm wrong, Scarlett users) but the scarlett must be connected to a computer via USB to function--meaning I can't just monitor and mix inputs with headphones, without being connected? before connecting the USB-c to my macbook, I got power, but was unable to do anything like activate phantom power or monitor the input levels.
The 2i2 has a "direct monitor" switch right on the front, which routes the input audio directly to the headphones with no latency; the 18i20 says it has the same feature although I believe you have to use the Focusrite Control app to turn it on. Theoretically, you ought to be able to use that to hear without being connected to the computer... but you have to be connected to the computer to turn it on in the first place. Maybe try connecting to computer, turning Direct Monitoring on, and then disconnecting; it might work. And I can't test if my theory is even correct, as the 2i2 is powered by USB so, once again, it must be connected to the computer even if, technically, the functionality isn't computer-dependent.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, Reaper's generous trial period policy got the better of my guilt, and I finally ponied up their very reasonable private user fee license and joined the family.

First Let me highly suggest you list your system.. I list mine in the "Signature" option of my User CP so it automatically shows up in posts.. So if I am asking a technical question about recording or mixing anyone looking to reply already knows that info and does not have to ask for clarification .

For example since you are using a Mac you do not need to worry about ASIO drivers which is for Windows PC ... But You may have to go into the Mac System Preferences/System Settings (depending on which Mac OS version you are running ? ). and go to "Sound" and make sure the Scarlett is selected for Input and Output. Also go to Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Set Up... and again select the Scarlett for Input and Output

Yes in Reaper and most DAWs it is not only possible to assign specific inputs to specific tracks but It is necessary to assign an input to a track to get the signal into the the track

Couple thoughts the 18i20 uses AC power and I believe it can be set up to used as stand alone without being connected to a computer But I don't how to do that

As far as Phantom Power Since I don't know how to set up "stand alone" mode on the Scarlett and I do not use a Focusrite at all --- I am not certain if you have to first have the Scarlett connected to computer to configure Stand Alone and then be able to activate Phantom Power But assuming you are pushing the 48 v buttons on the front of Scarlett if the red light is not coming on then maybe you do have to have connected to the computer to use it or configure Stand alone first ??????

As far as assigning inputs in Reaper (first) have you selected the Scarlett as the Audio device in Reaper if so then there is no doubt some menu option to view all the inputs available from the Scarlett. Reaper > Preferences > Audio > Device.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-15-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

With different versions of Reaper the UI can change. To assign a specific interface channel to a track, try enabling the record for the track and then you might see a drop down selection to make the assignment.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-15-2024, 05:49 PM

Unless you have a radically different Reaper theme, there should be an Input selector drop-down on every track. You don't need to arm it to see. However, if you shrink your tracks very small vertically, the input selector does disappear, so if you don't see it, expand the track until you do.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:46 PM
Get off my lawn kid

My Scarlett (2i4) is connected via USB to my PC. It also acts as my "soundcard" for listening with headphones.

In Reaper Preferences - Audio - Device, the input device is set to my Focusrite USB (Scarlett)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-15-2024, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all. Off this weekend, so locking myself in the studio and working this out.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-16-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks all. Off this weekend, so locking myself in the studio and working this out.
You probably already know this, but Kenny Gioia's "Reaper Mania" Youtube channel is an extraordinary resource. He has great videos on just about any aspect of using Reaper that you might want to know about.

Anyone brand new to Reaper at this point in time will probably benefit from watching the Introduction to Reaper Version 7 video first:

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-16-2024 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You probably already know this, but Kenny Gioia's "Reaper Mania" Youtube channel is an extraordinary resource.
As are the channels from ReaperTV, Reaper Blog, Let's Talk About Reaper, Adam Steel's tutorials and more, including the Reaper forums themselves. I have no idea if other DAWs have as many resources, but you can find tips for just about any Reaper issue you encounter.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

OH, FER GAAAAWWWDS SAKES!!!!!

A whole afternoon of muttering obscenities, figuratively kicking the dog, and seeking help on AGF.......

All I needed to do was expand the track window (by simply sliding the right edge), and VOILA! There is the simple "input" dropdown tab that I KNEW had to exist somewhere magically came into view!

I appreciate all the advice here, all of which I either tried before or after asking....but apparently my tech-retardation was underestimated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0722.jpeg (73.2 KB, 37 views)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

Last edited by dnf777; 03-17-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:

A whole afternoon of muttering obscenities, figuratively kicking the dog, and seeking help on AGF.......

All I needed to do was expand the track window (by simply sliding the right edge), and VOILA! There is the simple "input" dropdown tab that I KNEW had to exist somewhere magically came into view!

I appreciate all the advice here, all of which I either tried before or after asking....but apparently my tech-retardation was underestimated!
Kenny Gioia shows that in the Reaper 7 intro video. You can slide it all the way to the left if you really wanna make stuff disappear!
Old 03-17-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Kenny Gioia shows that in the Reaper 7 intro video. You can slide it all the way to the left if you really wanna make stuff disappear!
I had never noticed you could do that. I guess in some ways Reaper is *too* customizable! Vertically, it does have a minimum height for each track; I'm surprised it lets you disappear everything when resizing horizontally. Glad it was an easy fix, in the end.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

HEY glad you got it sorted. It is often just some simple thing that is overlooked until ya learn about it

But don't feel like you are bent over that contraption alone >There are things I am still discovering about Pro Tools

I think the real Tech question is How does the chain cross itself without catching the links going in opposite directions Or maybe it's like an MC Escher drawing

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-18-2024 at 08:33 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD