The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Default How do you hold your guitars?

I've only been playing for almost 2 years now, so I'm still a novice. I started and took lessons on a classical. Partially due to that fact, and partially due to my own comfort, I default to holding my acoustics on my left leg (right-handed) with the neck up at an angle, like a classical guitarist (and like the guitarists I see in pictures from early last century--before dreads and jumbos).

When I started playing steel strings, I started with some smaller variants, with a 00 becoming my favorite around the house. With it, I continue to hold it on my left leg.

However, I have picked up some larger acoustics--square-shoulder dread, slope D, small jumbo--that aren't as well suited to the left leg hold. So, I have recently been practicing with them in the more horizontal, right leg position, and I am getting better at that position. But, I will continue to play my smaller guitars on my left leg--classical style. I find that when the lower bout is smaller, it is difficult to get my strumming right arm comfortable when played on my right leg. I have to rest my arm sorta mid-forearm, instead of nearer to my elbow.

Do you guys play your guitars in widely alternating positions, based on the shape and size of the guitars? I kinda feel like I'm doing myself some good by learning to play in different positions--perhaps even helping myself stay away from chronic physical ailments by being flexible, so to speak. I am approaching 50 after all.

It seems there are also practical advantages too, such as being able to sit in a chair or on a stool, or to stand.

FF
Old 08-03-2019, 12:31 AM

I suppose at the end of the day you should play the way that is most comfortable to your body. I've never really thought about it much in the 17 years or so I have been playing, but I didn't start with the old classical style (which would of been cool) I was just straight into the folk/country/singer/songwriter thing so any guitar I pick up goes on the right leg if I'm sitting down..

Don't overthink it, but it sounds like you're figuring it out as you go, nothing wrong IMHO

1966 Epiphone FT79N Texan
1970 Yamaha FG-180
1976 Guild D55
1986 Martin D16m
1996 Guild JF30-12
2009 Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee
2020 Epiphone FT79 Texan
and a couple others...
Old 08-03-2019, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Here in Europe, American style guitars are called "western" guitars, and the way they are normally played when seated with the waist on the right leg is called the "western style", probably because of the way that guitars needed to be played after the '30s "change of use" of the guitar from a neo-classical instrument - e.g. Martin size O,OO,and even OOO, to a rhythm instrument with body widths (esp with the archtop design) of up to 18."
Old 08-03-2019, 12:47 AM

These days I find myself really slumped over my 000-14 frets while they’re on my right leg while seated. Sounds like you’re doing it right in the classical position on the left leg with the normal sized guitars. With oversized guitars like dreads and jumbos I don’t find them comfortable while seated for very long.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Get yourself an Ergoplay guitar support and thank me later. It solved so many issues I had with wanting to play demanding pieces but not wanting to contort my body or have to practice standing up. It’s meant for classical players but I normally have it on my right leg about 80% of the time.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 08-03-2019, 02:24 AM

The classical position with a footrest or a guitar support to elevate the angle of the neck of the guitar is the most comfortable position to play any guitar to me. i have played even a 17 inch jumbo with no issues in that position. i recommend the sageworks guitar support that is attached to the guitsr with rare earth magnets as a non damaging way to attach the support tot he body of the guitar.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:29 AM

I'm 5'5" and fully obligated to use classical technique for anything larger than a concert 12 fret.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:56 AM

Guitar waist, right leg. I'm right-handed.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years. Two of the better players in my jam group play dreads in the classical position and Toby Walker recommends it. I tried it about a year ago. It only took one practice session for it to feel better. I've been playing all size guitars that way since.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

I’m right handed and play with the guitar on my right leg. I never even thought about the “classical” left leg position until I had some serious comfort issues with an electric on my right leg. It had the leg cut (or waist) considerably further to the left, or closer to the neck, than on any other guitar I’d played, and caused me to twist and contort to get any sort of access to the upper frets, and even to get my picking hand far enough back that i wasn’t wasn’t hitting the neck pickup with the pick all the time. People recommended I try the classical position, which I did, but I hated it - felt totally unnatural to me after years playing on my right leg. So I just can’t play Les Pauls or most PRS models seated, and since I play seated most of the time at this point, I just don’t play those models anymore...

I’ve never had a problem with an acoustic, but I don’t find playing dreads at all comfortable seated anymore either... Not because of the lateral position of the guitar, but just keeping my arm up that high for any sort of extended period. But I don’t need the volume of a dread anymore either, so it works out fine.

-Ray
Old 08-03-2019, 04:29 AM

When I perform I play standing, with the guitar hanging from a strap around my neck. When seated I’ll occasionally play the guitar on my left leg, but more often have it on my right.

whm
Old 08-03-2019, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Standing - strap, heel-button, endpin-jack.

Sitting - I’m right-handed, so the ‘natural’, relaxed, comfortable way, on my right thigh. Tried the ‘classical’ way - absolutely impossible, felt ‘bent out of shape’, and got serious left-shoulder and elbow discomfort within a few minutes from reaching up for that neck waving around in the air. No way José!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-03-2019, 04:44 AM

I play seated with the guitar on my left leg, neck angled up. I was taught to keep the back of the guitar away from my body with the bottom edge on my thigh and the top edge against me chest and the back free to resonate.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 08-03-2019, 05:49 AM

Classical position on the left leg with a strap to keep the neck angle up high. This give better access to the upper frets and better angle for the left wrist. with the strap no need for a foot rest which, although they work fine, puts my back into an awkward position at times and causes me pain.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

I always play seated, and generally play with my right foot propped up on the rung of my stool and the guitar positioned on my right leg (I’m right-handed). However, when playing or working on a solo fingerstyle piece—usually with my Stonebridge OO—I sit on a piano bench with my left foot elevated on a foot rest and the guitar positioned “classical style” on my left leg.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 08-03-2019 at 10:56 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion