The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 AM

Default Carlos Juan CP-1A pickup for Martin HD-28

Hi All,
First post for me!
Just scored a really nice Martin HD-28, and in my search for a good pickup, I've lashed out and ordered a Carlos Juan CP-1A on the recommendation of a local guy here in Australia.

Has anyone had any experience with these? I know they have to be fitted properly as they are co-axial not flat, but they seem to be fairly new to the scene. I don't mind trying something new, but can't help thinking I would have been safer going with a proven LR Baggs or Fishman or some such. However, a lot of pro players seem to be jumping on board, as well as PRS with their new line of acoustics. Maybe they just don't have the marketing hype behind them that the known names have?

I couldn't afford Carlos' high end one, but the CP-1A still seems like a great option. Any ideas? Opinions? I guess I've done it now, I'll just have to wait and see!

http://www.carlosjuan.eu/index.php?id=29

http://www.guitarheroes.com.au/carlos.htm

Cheers from Australia,
Nathan.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new HD-28.
'08 Martin HD28
Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 PM

Another welcome, and congrats on the Martin HD-28, good choice.

Sorry not familiar with the pickup or manufacturer.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Welcome. I've just discovered this pick-up also and am curious as well. It looks incredible and I wish I could hear one before I shell out the cash. If I take the leap I'll report immediately. Anyone??
Old 03-09-2009, 03:49 PM

FWIW, Yarisan chimed in on this recent thread about that pickup. Send him a PM if that helps......
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=147735&page=2

Congrats on the HD-28 as well....

Ryan
Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM

I've had a bit of a chat to Yarisan, very helpful!
I should have it all installed in a couple of weeks, will let you all know what I think. The reports I'm hearing are pretty good, even for the CP-1a. I can always upgrade to the High End one, but I don't think I'll need to.

Loving the HD-28! My first Martin....hope to see it grow old....
Old 03-10-2009, 08:16 AM

Welcome to the forum, Nathan. I'm going to be using the Carlos Juan CP-1A in a guitar that Joel Stehr is about to start building for me. I'm anxious to hear it and also to hear your comments about yours. It has some great reviews from some pretty well known players.

Joel Stehr 8 String - Figured Myrtle / German Spruce
Kammerer 8-NNG - Maple
Chrisman guitar 1934
2-Russian made classical - Rosewood/Spruce
Mervyn Davis Smoothtalker - Cedar/Kiaat
Kinnaird Student Build SJ Sitka Spruce / Black Wanunt
Old 03-17-2009, 03:35 AM

Well, I just picked up the Martin with the CP-1A installed.

Very hard to have an opinion yet, but it seems a lot more responsive than my old setup. Did a quick recording with it just to compare it to my old guitar, and it's a lot more natural sounding, but very bright. In a good way, but the guitar sounds a bit brighter now as I've gone to a Tusq compensated saddle instead of the bone one.

I'll do a gig with it soon and have some real opinions, but so far pretty impressed. Only thing is, it's very high output, I'm going to have to pull out the pre-amp and wind the gain back a tad. Maybe even back off the mid control a fraction too, not sure. Otherwise it's great!

I might need to use some kind of eq pedal just to give me a bit more control venue to venue. Carlos doesn't really recommend using anything, particularly the Fishman or LR Baggs preamps. He reckons they deteriorate the quality. He does recommend an old blue MXR EQ. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, according to my luthier, the coax pickup was very close to the width of the saddle slot, and he didn't think it needed routing. It was a snug fit. Seems to be ok so far.

A good graphic eq and good DI (maybe countryman?) would be the next step I reckon. Any ideas?

Will post some more info once I've had some more time with it. Glad to have my baby back!

Cheers!
80's Jap Strat with Kinmans.
USA Tele with Fralin bridge.

http://www.myspace.com/nathanwarrick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion