The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Playing with fingerpicks is like taking a shower with your clothes on.

That being said, I haven't used a conventional washer-machine in 35 years.

I had another analogy in mind but it probably would not be appropriate.

I have tried for 50+ years and still cannot get the hang of even a thumbpick.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:19 AM

Fred Kelly speed picks and Freedom pick lured me away from the metal Dunlops I was using for the past 37 years. Smooth. And I can wear them upside down so they are oriented like Dunlops.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 AM

I have tried finger and thumb picks, but have never found any big enough for my big ole' fingers and they get sore from no blood flow after about five minutes.

I would especially like to be able to use a thumb pick, but there all just too small for my thumb.

I have played nylon string guitar for years because of the wider neck, but always have had a problem with my nails(hooks) and I have tried every type of false nail on the market because I especially like the sound of combined nail and flesh on the strings, even on steel strings.

I'm going to try these butterfly things because it looks like I might be able to take some pliers and adjust them to fit without hurting.

Still need a good thumb pick tho.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHank View Post
I have tried finger and thumb picks, but have never found any big enough for my big ole' fingers and they get sore from no blood flow after about five minutes.

I would especially like to be able to use a thumb pick, but there all just too small for my thumb.

I have played nylon string guitar for years because of the wider neck, but always have had a problem with my nails(hooks) and I have tried every type of false nail on the market because I especially like the sound of combined nail and flesh on the strings, even on steel strings.

I'm going to try these butterfly things because it looks like I might be able to take some pliers and adjust them to fit without hurting.

Still need a good thumb pick tho.
Billy - I'm finding that the butterfly thumb picks work quite well and intuitively. Give them a shot!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:26 PM

Very interesting. I have played with acrylic nails for several years. The maintenance is annoying sometimes, but the salon girls are cute and funny.

Butterfly fingerpicks are quite different from the dunlops I tried. May need to give them a go.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 11-30-2014, 12:38 PM

I generally use a Dunlop thumbpick and fingernails, but sometimes when I'm in home renovation mode I just can't hang onto nails. Then I switch to the typical Dunlop fingerpicks like the ones shown in an early post. I've tried the Guptill Finger Tones and the Fred Kelly ones but once I got used to the Dunlops, they were actually easier for me. (I do form them to hug my fingertips and not stick out.)

There's no secret to making the transition. You just have to struggle through the clumsy stage long enough to get the hang of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion