The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 04:03 AM

Default silk and steel

Been playing now for about 8 years and trying like the blazers to ignore some arthritis. Silks were recommended and I strung them on my Canadian Norman. Initial impression was that they sounded a bit subdued, lacking the attack that normal steel has. BUT, and this is a biiiig BUT: They make playing so much easier... hardly any pain and now so easy to play longer and more effectively. Sound wise, they take a bit getting used to. They are warm and mellow and are most effective when hand picked ( don't even think of using a plectrum). They lend themselves to a gentler kind of music ,and in my estimation are brilliant. Highly recommend them to those having hand injury issues.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_gea View Post
Hi,
I recently discovered Thomastik's Plectrums (AC111 light), and I'm in love. These are a variant of the Silk-and-Steel type, but the wound strings are Bronze (rather than silver-coated copper like the Martin's), and the G, D and A strings are FLATWOUND (rather than the ubiquitous roundwounds). This latter bit is what sold me on them (apart from their mellow, balanced and at the same time lushous sound, IMO): no more of that loathed squeak! Yes!

Marco
Based on my three years as a player (so take this from a beginner-intermediate level player).

Plus one on the Plectrums for pretty much the reasons Marco describes above. I typically get at least 3-4 months of playing life out of the Plectrums so they are worth the extra cost to me. They also string up with less tension so are finger friendly.

But I also have gotten very good results with Silk and Steels and I think anyone who wants to move toward warm and mellower versus bright and louder on a specific guitar could like Silk and Steels. I've only used the Martin varieties of S&S. I currently have them on my Taylor 522 12 fret and my Rainsong Parlor P-12. I tried the Silk and Phosphor on an HD35 I had for awhile and they were a good fit for that guitar but I agree they are brighter and seem to have more string tension. I appear to be blessed with non-corrosive hands as I have gotten between 2-3 months of playing time with the S&S before I change them. On my Taylor GA3-12 12 string (my first 12 string), I started out with Martin Silk and Steels and after about 3-4 months with them, switched to D'Addario PB strings which are on it currently. I think the mellowness of the S&S works better for sure on this guitar but the next string set on it will be TI Plectrums and I'm looking forward to that string change.

String noise wise, the Plectrums are the quietest I have ever used. I think I am getting to the point where for my current style of playing, I'll probably use either Silk and Steels or Plectrums. After I try other brands, I keep coming back to these two. YMMW for sure!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 04-19-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:21 AM

On my Martin OMC-1e they sound great. I wouldn't use them on a dread but for a guitar with a small waist they sound great.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

I had Martin's S&S on my Seagull for a couple of string changes. I switched out to regular strings last time, but I will go back to them. On the Seagull they sound good.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:21 AM

On my Republic resonator and they sound fantastic, mellowed out the tone, still very loud, and play like butter. On my Sigma DR-9 they sounded thin and lifeless, it all depends on the guitar.

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 AM

Silk and steel strings are basically for the people who don't want to go through the pain of developing calluses on their fingertips. The reason they don't get much respect around here is because the whole idea of acoustic guitar is for the strings to drive the top and make it vibrate. Silk and steel strings don't do a very good job of that; you lose a lot of volume and tone.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:49 AM

New member wallacek (post 31 above) brings a good point.

For those with particular issues, Silk and a Steel strings could bridge the gap between playing guitar or not.

I've suggested that beginners use them, even tuned down a half step, to introduce them to playing.
Yes, the are relatively subdued, but better some tone than no tone cuz they quit playing.

Welcome wallacek, and thanks for your contribution.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Yes, they do "mellow" out the tone, and decrease the perceived volume.

Some say it takes the "twang" out of steel strings . .

I just think it decreases the attack (whether you're using fingers or picks) relative to the sustain.

They don't sound like nylon strings on a classical guitar . . but they perhaps sound like a cross between steel and nylon strings . . . maybe 1/3 of the way toward nylon.
Realizing the OP posted this 8 years ago, but it seems he answered his own question.

In the words of the great Geddy Lee...

"When it comes to music, more is more".
Old 04-19-2016, 03:00 PM

I've been using the Martin S&S strings but just wonder.... do they have a shorter life span? They feel great on my fingers (I have small hands and an orchestra body guitar) but I hate to have to change them every couple weeks....I play about 2 hours daily.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2016, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Bob View Post
On my Republic resonator and they sound fantastic, mellowed out the tone, still very loud, and play like butter. On my Sigma DR-9 they sounded thin and lifeless, it all depends on the guitar.

Really? I wouldn't have thought to try those on my resonator. I may have to try them out on it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Realizing the OP posted this 8 years ago, but it seems he answered his own question.
The truly funny part about this is that the new guy - wallacek - that resurrected this long-dead thread states that he started playing 8 years ago! The thread was started 8 years ago... wallacek started playing 8 years ago... Coincidence?!? Hmm...

Seriously, welcome to the forum, wallacek. As you'll see, there is no end of great information on this great forum. And most of us have a great sense of humor!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjond56 View Post
They are easy on the fingers and I really enjoy the mellow tone.
Jon
I used to have Martin Silk & Steel strings on my Art & Lutherie Ami parlor. It was extremely comfortable to play and the sound was warm and pleasant to my ears. I gave the guitar to a retired Marine so he could give it to his grandson — He helped me with my taxes.
1987 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Old 04-19-2016, 07:52 PM

I love 8 year old threads. Ahhh, the memories!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:44 AM

Old thread yes, but tonight I just tried the M1400 Silk and Steel on a Martin 12 fret.

Before, I had Retro's (I do not like these strings on any guitar), D'addario EJ16 these were very good.

The M-1400's just sounded great to me, I could really feel the lower tension which took a little bit to get used to.

It's really nice when you find strings that are just right with a particular guitar.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have used them when I was getting over an injured finger and wanted to get back into playing slowly with little stress on my fingers. They served me well for that. Now, post-injury, I just have other types of strings that serve me better in terms of tone and feel. As other folks have said, they excel with certain guitars and not with others. And that can be said of PB, nickels and 80/20s as well.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion