The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2018, 12:20 PM

I’ve used them all (and own them all as well). The EV Evolve 50 is amazing. The JBL is cool because it’s all-in-one... but the EV smokes the JBL and the Bose when it comes to power, bass extension, and overall fidelity. I’m not sure how they engineered that much sound to come out of such a small and portable PA. So I’m bringing a small mixer along to gigs now. Worth it to me.
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 02-25-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bartus View Post
I’ve used them all (and own them all as well). The EV Evolve 50 is amazing. The JBL is cool because it’s all-in-one... but the EV smokes the JBL and the Bose when it comes to power, bass extension, and overall fidelity. I’m not sure how they engineered that much sound to come out of such a small and portable PA. So I’m bringing a small mixer along to gigs now. Worth it to me.
The Evolve has been on my list. It doesn't look like they arrange the top speakers in the same angled pattern as Bose- what's the horizontal dispersion like? And can it be set it up behind you without feedback?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:48 PM

The horizontal dispersion is stated to be 140°. EV has really engineered the top line array combining drivers and a waveguide to do some serious stuff to the sound. And I have no problem using it like I did my old Bose system. I set mine up off to the side and a bit behind.
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Guild 8-string baritone
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Old 02-25-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Anyone here using the JBL EON ONE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

It’s my favorite of the compact PA systems, in its price range, at the moment. In fact, I’d probably take this unit over the Bose L1S/T4S system, which costs quite a bit more.

I just downloaded the 608i app and am looking over the controls in demo mode. This is right up my alley. Very cool!

This level of control is similar to my Elite Acoustics D6-8. In my case, the two main places I play have decent house PA systems. The D6-8 fills a need in that I can set up my own mix and monitor with no real effort, then tap into the House PA to get that sound out to the audience.

Back to the 608i, what a great system when you don’t have a house PA to tap into. If I was starting from scratch that is how I would go! What an amazing amount of control in one single load out of the car!

Edit: After spending a little more time with the 608i app, I discovered the advanced mode. The Elite Acoustics D6-8 has about as much control in the mixer in the 608i in standard mode, but in advanced mode the 608i has way more control than the D6-8! Very cool mixer!

Last edited by lkingston; 02-25-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
The horizontal dispersion is stated to be 140°. EV has really engineered the top line array combining drivers and a waveguide to do some serious stuff to the sound. And I have no problem using it like I did my old Bose system. I set mine up off to the side and a bit behind.

John, I thought I read 120 degrees H dispersion. But, either way, it’s impressive. The weight of the Evolve was concerned me for my uses. Otherwise, it looks like a fine reinforcement option.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Again, this is great input to get from someone who actually has the other units being compared. At double the price I got the Eon One for I'm still happy with the purchase but interested in checking out the Evolve 50 too now.
Seeing it's got 8 drivers on top I'm not surprised that it would have better dispersion than the 6 drivers of the Eon One or L1c but it looks like it's actually 120° in the specs.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-25-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Again, this is great input to get from someone who actually has the other units being compared. At double the price I got the Eon One for I'm still happy with the purchase but interested in checking out the Evolve 50 too now.
Seeing it's got 8 drivers on top I'm not surprised that it would have better dispersion than the 6 drivers of the Eon One or L1c but it looks like it's actually 120° in the specs.

Yep. It is 120°. It just feels like 140°.

[emoji41]
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Guild 8-string baritone
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Old 03-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Anyone in the Phoenix area can come hear an Eon One from 4-7 today at the Japanese Friendship Garden and there's no charge for entry today.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification