The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-19-2015, 03:47 AM

Default Getting Back into Electric

A few years back I sold my electric gear and went all acoustic - then I bought a Standard Tele a month back just to see - I've got it running thru a Princeton 68 and use pedals sparingly, just a Sonic Stomp mostly - the sound is so pure, so intoxicating, I can't stop playing - it's like falling in love all over again - my Martins are now gathering dust
Old 09-19-2015, 04:41 AM

One of the great things about having both acoustics and electrics is that if you haven't played one in a while everything is fresh and new when you pick it up. Sounds like that's what you're experiencing. It's great!

Did you also buy the Princeton when you bought the Tele or was that a piece of gear you had kept?

Remember, even if your Martins pick up some dust don't sell them! They'll be back in your hands soon enough.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:49 AM

The best of both worlds. (Fender Telecaster/Fender amp and Martin acoustics).
Old 09-19-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Did you also buy the Princeton when you bought the Tele or was that a piece of gear you had kept?
I had a Princeton reissue previously - should've kept it but I got a great price for it -

Quote:
the best of both worlds. (Fender Telecaster/Fender amp and Martin acoustics).
absolutely - a D-28 and a Telecaster - like driving a Mustang down Main Street on a Friday night

Quote:
Remember, even if your Martins pick up some dust don't sell them! They'll be back in your hands soon enough.
That's what my wife keeps telling me....

Last edited by bitraker; 09-19-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:56 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Enjoy the difference between the two instruments!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:13 AM

I'm in pretty much the same boat - lucked into some nice electric gear at decent prices over the last few years, don't play my acoustics much these days...
Old 09-19-2015, 12:20 PM

After playing for about six years now, I purchased my first electric this summer. It's great fun but it's not going to replace my acoustics. Its helping me along on the long learning curve, picking out a lead riff instead of strumming the chords. Even my wife has commented that my picking has improved so happy days and bluesy nights.

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner reissue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006
Garrison AGGC 300 2008
Fender Telecaster American Special 2015
Old 09-19-2015, 02:05 PM

For years I was not in a band and played mainly acoustic. When I started playing electric again in a band I realized I had forgotten how much nuance you can get from an electric from picking dynamics and gear changes. The electric guitar does open up new avenues for expression and plus it is just plain fun to play!
Old 09-19-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I realized I had forgotten how much nuance you can get from an electric
absolutely - I love the tonal purity of a Martin, but a Tele through a tube amp?

flat picking is an adjustment - I am overcompensating, playing too hard as if playing a dread, and missing notes - with electric, you need far less energy to create so much more sound
Old 09-19-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
I've got it running thru a Princeton 68 ...
So word on the old interweb is that the Princeton 68 breaks up early. How early in your experience? Like bedroom-amp early? I keep admiring this amp online, but I live in an apartment and have yet to get to a shop and listen to one. But I'm guessing that no 12-watt tube amp is going to get significantly distorted at very low volume.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:09 PM

I learnt more or less on electric but found myself gravitating to acoustic soon after also. (I love both acoustic/electric equally, but it seems like I play my acoustic these days).

I approach each differently. (Martin = Strumming/flatpicking/fingerpicking and
Electrics = Country rhythm and lead hybrid picking).
Old 09-20-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
So word on the old interweb is that the Princeton 68 breaks up early. How early in your experience?
mine starts to break up around 4.5 - I rarely play above that - surprisingly loud under 4 and clear

Quote:
I approach each differently. (Martin = Strumming/flatpicking/ fingerpicking and
Electrics = Country rhythm and lead hybrid picking).
Tele is great for flat picking - I find the heavier string gauge the better - not sure about chicken pickin - I lean more toward jazz and blues

Last edited by bitraker; 09-20-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
...Tele is great for flatpicking - I find the heavier string gauge the better - not sure about chicken pickin' - I lean more toward jazz and blues...
Had one of the first late-CBS '52 Reissues, strung it with flatwound 12's the way Leo intended - no intonation problems with the OEM brass saddles, sounded like every pre-1965 country record you've ever heard...
Old 09-20-2015, 03:43 PM

Tele and a Princeton is tone to die for. Enjoy.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:57 PM

Started on acoustic, off for a long while, got back in via electric and now both. Each work and has helped the other, i.e., playing acoustic has helped with the attacking on electric and electric has helped me lighten-up and open-up the nuances of acoustic.

+++for the old tube non-reverb princeton and octal deluxe...nothing better to my ears

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars