The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Default Individual luthier best capable of recreating the Taylor Grand Symphony sound

I am mightily impressed with Taylor's GS. From trying them in stores, I prefer this shape's TONE more than I like any of their other shapes. It has more bass than a Grand Auditorium, and more "cutting through" power than the Grand Orchestra (which to me sounds floppy in comparison to the GS).

Two issues:

1. I do not want to wait another year before I can BTO with Taylor's new bracing. I don't like the fingerboard inlays and rosette of the current 800 series offerings.

2. I have found Taylors to lack responsiveness the further up the neck I go. For example, if I capo higher than the 5th fret, I notice a dramatic decrease in depth and sustain.

3. The Taylor neck is thicker than it used to be. I played some standard D and OM Santa Cruz guitars (not the PWs) recently that had incredibly thin necks, these were great.

I know lots of individual luthiers and small shops are well known to be able to recreate the Martin tone. Does anyone know of any in the $2,000-$3,500 range who can do a great Taylor Grand Symphony copy? I do not want an OM or Grand Auditorium size, I want a Grand Symphony shape, depth and volume, and the Taylor Grand Symphony tone.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Musical minimalist

Since the GS is a proprietary body size, it's probably going to be difficult to find a one-off builder to replicate it exactly, especially in the price range you've stated as they'd have to build new forms (likely) to achieve it.

Might want to settle for "close to" a GS.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 AM

Why would any one-off luthier want to hand-make a copy of a currently-available production (mass-produced/factory-made) guitar at a price that is the same or less than the original?

I suggest you've misunderstood the market, economic forces and what one-off luthiers do.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Agree with the above post, triple your price range if you are living in 2014.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Why would any one-off luthier want to hand-make a copy of a currently-available production (mass-produced/factory-made) guitar at a price that is the same or less than the original?
Isn't this what many of them do with Martin D-28s?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Goodall View Post
Which is an extremely common body size that's been around for 70 years.

The GS is new and "odd" shaped.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Goodall View Post
As others have mentioned this is a much more common body shape.

You can find custom guitars in your price range, and of course there are certain elements of the Taylor GS they can reproduce reasonably, others not so much.

the first and third points you are looking for should be easy to find, the second is the key one, and likely quite a subjective measure. The exact body shape probably cannot be done if it is proprietary, but I'm sure a luthier could get something close.

There is nothing wrong with wanting certain elements of a Taylor in a custom guitar, I'm pretty sure all customers and luthiers use other guitars as reference points to some extent or another. Just keep in my mind you won't be getting Taylor if Taylor isn't making it.

Getting a custom guitar is a lot of fun if you can afford it, but a bit risky because you probably won't know the product as well since they are typically made to order. You might have better luck in the custom shop as luthiers can make recommendations. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Have to keep in mind that the GS tone and responsiveness has a lot to do with the relief route of the sound board. Taylor has a patent on that design feature. I wonder if any other builder has attempted to use that design.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 AM

Don't know any luthiers who will "copy" a GS, in the same price range as a GS. Furthermore, luthiers typically have a wait list. If you specifically want the shape AND tone of a Taylor GS, but with specific appearance options and a slimmer neck carve, it sounds like you want a Taylor BTO and are best off waiting until they make the new models available for BTO.

I used to own three Taylor GS models and have since found many guitars whose tone I prefer, but not any that copy it exactly. I think your question sort of answers itself.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 AM

I would think there are other guitars available that would meet your want list. Have you played a Lowden 0 body size. Has everything a Taylor offers x10 IMO
Old 02-16-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
I would think there are other guitars available that would meet your want list. Have you played a Lowden 0 body size. Has everything a Taylor offers x10 IMO
That's the thing. He asked if anyone copies the tone of a GS. Lowden is one example of a builder whose guitars I prefer to Taylor, but you could never describe it as a "copy" of their tone.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Hi AG...

I've seen custom body forms/molds in both Michael Bashkin's, and Tim McKnight's shops where they built specific request models (not for the price of a Taylor). And I suspect there are many other luthiers who will be able to accommodate the size request.

Things to consider are which builders build guitars well in that size already (not the precise dimensions, but the size vicinity of the GS).

I imagine there are many luthiers who would put a surprisingly good instrument in your hands if commissioned to build something you like. And the better you can describe what you want during the pre-interview phase of a commission the more likely they are to be able to tell you if they can/cannot or will/will not build it.

And since Healdsburg won't come around till 2016, then you might consider visiting places which stock hand-built guitars and see what fits you (new and/or used). It's pretty amazing once you dabble in the hand built world what one discovers.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
It sounds like you want a Taylor BTO and are best off waiting until they make the new models available for BTO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
The first and third points you are looking for should be easy to find, the second is the key one, and likely quite a subjective measure.
The second is the biggest reason I'd rather look to individual luthiers rather than Taylor, because a factory churns through wood without thicknessing it to get the best responsiveness out of it. An individual luthier can do that and get good sustain out of a top, for example, whereas with a factory building to a set thickness it will only have great sustain by chance. Hence why I would prefer not to go BTO either - because I trust the judgment of a luthier who has paid attention to the wood rather than a machine.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Actually the Goodall CJ body is very close in shape and size to the GS. I have a BTO CJ and I've noticed on many occasion when playing the GS how similar the body feels. The GS is the only Taylor I like for much the same reasons as the OP but it pales in tonal characteristics compared to the Goodall CJ imho. Not that the GS isn't a good and beautiful guitar because it is and I like them...but the Goodall is like playing a Martin Authentic vs a Taylor GS is more comparable to a Standard if I may use that analogy. You may find a used Goodall CJ for around 3 to 4k. Here is a pic of my custom build in cedar over mahogany like a GS5:

Old 02-16-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
I've not heard of their 0 body size before but a quick Google image check shows it looks to be a large bodied guitar, which is what I am looking for. Thanks for the tip.

I prefer Taylor's bright sound in the GS, yet its ability to also sound deep. This is why I own a Goodall Aloha Mahogany model - it's bright, yet also lush and deep. It's a shame not many luthiers copy Taylor's sound, because it's their sound I like, but I don't like the factory built quality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion