The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 PM

Default Playing standing up.

I am a beginner and all this time I have been playing sitting and I wanna be able to play standing up but It seems little difficult and weird. Any tips on playing standing up? I play a fender strat.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I'd try and adjust the guitar strap so that it falls at the approximate same relationship as when you're sitting. Then just practice standing - you'll get used to it quickly.

steve
Old 10-07-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
I'd try and adjust the guitar strap so that it falls at the approximate same relationship as when you're sitting. Then just practice standing - you'll get used to it quickly.

steve
I sit with my guitar in classical position and stand with the strap at same position. I just find it somewhat difficult because I cannot see the fingerboard to see where my fingers are going.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:55 PM

How long have you been playing? Knowing your way around the fretboard takes time, at least it did for me. I still have to check it while doing some difficult classical pieces. No harm or shame in watching your fingers.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
How long have you been playing? Knowing your way around the fretboard takes time, at least it did for me. I still have to check it while doing some difficult classical pieces. No harm or shame in watching your fingers.
About 2-3 months.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:04 PM

Of course it's a little different and weird! Did you expect it not to be? Stay at it -- it's just like anything else; you'll get the hang of it before long.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 AM

If you want to play standing up, practice standing up

It is really that easy. The tip about adjusting the strap so it is the same either way is helpful... but I find I position a bit different standing or sitting.

Seriously though, just change your practice routine to include a lot of time standing. I probably do about 50% each way (maybe more standing than sitting tbh).
Old 10-08-2014, 11:24 AM

Doc Watson his own self has been quoted as saying he thought it would be terribly difficult for a sighted person to learn to play the guitar. He thought it would be confusing.

Based solely on my personal experience, he was right.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCady View Post
Doc Watson his own self has been quoted as saying he thought it would be terribly difficult for a sighted person to learn to play the guitar. He thought it would be confusing.

Based solely on my personal experience, he was right.
Man, this has to be the greatest quote ever Funny you should quote Dr.Watson when I am reading Silver Blaze !
Old 10-11-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
If you want to play standing up, practice standing up

It is really that easy. The tip about adjusting the strap so it is the same either way is helpful... but I find I position a bit different standing or sitting.

Seriously though, just change your practice routine to include a lot of time standing. I probably do about 50% each way (maybe more standing than sitting tbh).
Agreed ^^^

It was a trial when I was first learning to stand and play, but now it is second nature. It will take a little getting used to, but in the end you will be fine. Nowadays I play both, depending on my mood and whether or not I wish to be amplified.
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write