The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM

Default Anyone been to a Dana Bourgeois Clinic

I'm going to attend a clinic at SoundPure in Durham, NC tonight featuring Dana Bourgeois and flat picker Scott Fore.

Anyone else hear his presentation? Curious as to what to expect.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 09-26-2013, 03:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Dana will probably discuss and demonstrate his top voicing techniques.

He's a brilliant builder, we just spent the weekend with him in Maine, picking wood for our next 20 guitars!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 PM

As it turned out, that's exactly what the focus was.

It was fascinating to watch Dana take a newly braced top and go through his "voicing process" while he discussed exactly what he was doing and why.

Scott Fore demonstrated a dozen or so Bourgeois guitars and he is of course a brilliant flat-picker.

And perhaps best of all ... the 20 or so of us who were in attendance, had free access to all the gorgeous guitars they had brought with them.

Last edited by Judson; 09-27-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 PM

Sounds like a superb evening! I would love to attend one of those.

So was there a Bourgeois that stood out to you (either in your hands or Mr. Fore's)?

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Dana's a great builder. I had the pleasure of visiting his shop a few years ago. They have a great operation there, with a few craftsmen hand-building a small number of guitars with just enough technological assistance to optimize quality. Dana's a pretty low-key guy who still puts in time at a bench every day he's in the shop. He seems far more interested in turning out fantastic instruments than in pursuing fame or riches -- as is true of many fine luthiers.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassov7 View Post
Sounds like a superb evening! I would love to attend one of those.
It was a great experience. I understand they were only in town because of the IBMF bluegrass festival being held in Raleigh this week.

Quote:
So was there a Bourgeois that stood out to you (either in your hands or Mr. Fore's)?
The DB Signature OM made quite an impression as I listened to Dave play it and later when I got hold of it myself. Adi/Madi with Koa binding

Old 09-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
It was a great experience. I understand they were only in town because of the IBMF bluegrass festival being held in Raleigh this week.

The DB Signature OM made quite an impression as I listened to Dave play it and later when I got hold of it myself. Adi/Madi with Koa binding

Woah! The back is beautiful!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 PM

That guitar is a Work of Art.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post

I can only imagine! A lefty though? That was cool for them to bring some left handed guitars along.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 09-27-2013, 08:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

I love Dana's work with MadRose (one of my personal guitars is a Madi/Adi OM from about 8 years ago).

I've noticed that with Bourgeois and MadRose, it's almost the opposite of Brazilian: the wilder the figure, the better the guitar sounds (vs Braz guitars w/ straight grain usually sounding stronger)

Lovely looking guitar, tho!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 PM

That's not the actual example that we got to play. No lefties were brought. All the guitars they brought were primarily for Scott Fore's demos.

Quote:
I can only imagine! A lefty though? That was cool for them to bring some left handed guitars along.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 PM

Scott is my son's guitar teacher. He told me he couldn't do Nick's lesson tonight because he'd be at IBMA. I guess he was telling the truth.

I've seen Scott do several clinics and have played both of his Bourgeois guitars but never anything like that. I would have loved to have been there tonight.

Here's a video of Scott backing Nick up at a contest. He's playing his Brazilian dread here. Not sure if it's a Vintage D or a D-150 or what but it's got a great rhythm sound.

Forked Deer
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion