The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-13-2017, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Since getting my crossover, I haven't looked back.

The guitar was new in the shop and had a new set of nylon strings on it, but it wasn't really the guitar for my until I took the nylons off, and got some high tension carbon strings on it. For us folks, who play the music we do, crossovers play much better with carbons.

I'm even selling the steel strings because I don't play them anymore. The crossover gives me more projection than most steel string guitars, with half the effort (so much less tension). But I also prefer the treble string sound of carbon strings.
Enjoyed your videos and if your crossover sounds as good or better than your Blackbird, than it's very nice!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Enjoyed your videos and if your crossover sounds as good or better than your Blackbird, than it's very nice!
Thanks Sprint Bob, I hope to upload some of the same songs with my crossover so people can hear the difference.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's my take on RWB Rag recorded about 8 months ago. I play the song at least once a week just a touch faster than this. I was learning the song at the time and this recording has more of a "straight 8th's" feel where I think Barry's has a bit more soul to it. There's a couple of hiccups but Mark was pretty pleased that I got it right technically and stayed pretty much in time.

In the audio CD with the book, Mark plays it quite fast. In my time left on this world, not sure I could ever get to that level. He is my Skype teacher and we had a discussion about the playing speed of these pieces and Mark told me he probably played it too fast for the audio CD and if he was performing that song to an audience he would slow it down. There is another song in the book called Fishin Blues that I have down pretty good and I play it at 95-100 bpm. Mark told me that he liked the slower speed because it communicated the feel of a lazy day fishing better than if you hurried through it. I don't stress out on my playing speed on a lot of what I play now. I try to focus on just making it sound pleasant to a listener. That certainly makes the learning curve more enjoyable.

Nice Bob, good and clean and you let those notes ring out. Great job!

Now that I'm back home I can work on this tune more. It's a great workout for your fingertips.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Barry. Your compliment is very appreciated.

I think I'll try to keep this thread alive by posting some recordings of the other arrangements I've worked on in the book/course. The songs and exercises are great teaching tools. Maybe we can encourage others on the AGF to do the same.

Below is Fishin Blues (I think I played it with the capo at the 2nd fret). It was recorded a couple of months ago, probably the most left hand intensive song I had learned at the time. I'm playing it a bit faster now.

Outside of the book, I'm working on Mark's arrangement of Windy and Warm and his solo arrangemement of JT's Sweet Baby James. Fun stuff.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Good one Bob. I'm going to try that one after RWB Rag and Flier.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-17-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks Barry. Your compliment is very appreciated.

I think I'll try to keep this thread alive by posting some recordings of the other arrangements I've worked on in the book/course. The songs and exercises are great teaching tools. Maybe we can encourage others on the AGF to do the same.

Below is Fishin Blues (I think I played it with the capo at the 2nd fret). It was recorded a couple of months ago, probably the most left hand intensive song I had learned at the time. I'm playing it a bit faster now.

Outside of the book, I'm working on Mark's arrangement of Windy and Warm and his solo arrangemement of JT's Sweet Baby James. Fun stuff.

I like that piece, and I like the pace you recorded it at...helps me listen more closely to all the "moving parts."

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-18-2017, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Yea, if anyone ever needs a session player to play arrangements slow, I'm your man !
Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I'm having fun with these Mark Hanson books. It pays to hold on to stuff, you never know when you'll give it a spin again. I have some arrangements of his of songs from his Author's Notes CD. I'll have to dig them out too. He's so exact and precise when he plays it forces you to try harder for cleaner playing.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm having fun with these Mark Hanson books. It pays to hold on to stuff, you never know when you'll give it a spin again. I have some arrangements of his of songs from his Author's Notes CD. I'll have to dig them out too. He's so exact and precise when he plays it forces you to try harder for cleaner playing.
I agree that the quality of Mark's arrangements and the challenge they present provide an excellent foundation for the aspiring fingerstylist.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm having fun with these Mark Hanson books. .... He's so exact and precise when he plays it forces you to try harder for cleaner playing.
I'm glad to hear this! When I started with finger style a few months ago I thought all the learning would be in the right hand, since I had been playing chords and some rudimentary leads for quite a while. Wrong!

I had no idea how many errors in my fretting hand I was covering up with my strumming. It took me a long time to play the simpler of his 2 Freight Train arrangements cleanly on a consistent basis, and I'm still not there with Over and Out Rag, even though I can say I know the tune and can play it in time (but much slower than Mark!).

I found a short Pete Huttlinger video where he talked about training the fretting hand with an exercise. It is hard to explain, but basically you just do chromatic scales with all four fingers, the trick being you can't lift a finger off a fret until it is time to place it down on the next string. Ouch! There is another thread going on now about "strangling the neck" and that is exactly what I am doing.

I'm really pleased with Mark's teaching, I feel like he is providing a solid foundation for me. Thanks to AGF for the tip on his books and inspiration. to keep plugging along.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:00 AM

You inspire me with your nice playing!

I will look for my Mark Hanson books tonight. I played a lot from them some 10 years ago.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:08 AM

I did Freight Train in the first book and then kinda stumbled on the rest. Didn't like most of the songs and just found Water Is Wide too tricky.

Skipped to the the next book months later and have really got on with Red, White & Blue Rag. It just came together quite quickly - all except that pesky thumbover F chord, which I rarely get clean.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I’ve continued on in Art of Solo Fingerstyle. After Fishin Blues, I did an abridged version of White House Blues (basically the first page and the last two pages) that are the solo fingerstyle sections. Etude was next (lovely but short song) and then I started to learn 4 finger rolls with Dedicated to Mississippi John Hurt (DMJH). I skipped Bill Bailey and Over the Waves because I’m just not into the melodies of each. Over Thanksgiving, I started to explore Flier which I think is one of Mark’s best compositions. I’ll focus on DMJH and Flier probably through mid spring. I’ll wrap up this book with Twin Sisters and Strawberry Curl which will take me into 2019 I’m sure. Future Mark Hanson compositions I’d like to tackle are the full performance version of Key to the Kingdom and Mark’s solo fingerstyle version of The Water is Wide.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’ve continued on in Art of Solo Fingerstyle. After Fishin Blues, I did an abridged version of White House Blues (basically the first page and the last two pages) that are the solo fingerstyle sections. Etude was next (lovely but short song) and then I started to learn 4 finger rolls with Dedicated to Mississippi John Hurt (DMJH). I skipped Bill Bailey and Over the Waves because I’m just not into the melodies of each. Over Thanksgiving, I started to explore Flier which I think is one of Mark’s best compositions. I’ll focus on DMJH and Flier probably through mid spring. I’ll wrap up this book with Twin Sisters and Strawberry Curl which will take me into 2019 I’m sure. Future Mark Hanson compositions I’d like to tackle are the full performance version of Key to the Kingdom and Mark’s solo fingerstyle version of The Water is Wide.
Well done, Bob! Those are some fun tunes you have going on.

I've been working on Key to the Kingdom off and on for months (the simple version). I can play it "ok" at medium tempo, but it sounds like a totally different tune at the speed Mark goes at! Art of Solo Fingerstyle is a great book, and I hope to dig in deeper as my technique improves.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Well done, Bob! Those are some fun tunes you have going on.

I've been working on Key to the Kingdom off and on for months (the simple version). I can play it "ok" at medium tempo, but it sounds like a totally different tune at the speed Mark goes at! Art of Solo Fingerstyle is a great book, and I hope to dig in deeper as my technique improves.
Bob,

Mark is my Skype teacher and he told me he probably recorded the KtoK version we both play too fast for us mortals to want to aspire to. I can play it pretty well at 85-90 percent of the tempo he recorded it at but to be honest, I like it a bit slower. His biggest tip to me is not worry about how fast you play but how musical you play and that has really kept things in perspective for me.

I think I am starting to reap the benefits of working through AoSF. It's really a great foundation for us solo fingerstyle wanna bees.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited by SprintBob; 12-01-2017 at 07:14 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write