The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Finally played in front of people

I've been playing (rather, mindlessly attempting to memorize songs and failing pretty miserably) for about 6 years, but haven't really tried to improve my playing until the last 9 months or so. I'd like to think that I've improved vastly for not having any lessons, but I still stick to pretty simple songs.

Anyhow, I've always been a very reclusive player. I'd put up the guitar if people came over, and I'd only play in front of my wife and father (who also plays - but much better than I do). A week ago today I was convinced to bring my guitar to a get-together at the in-laws. I was nervous as all get-out, but I strapped up and played some old tunes that most people knew and we had a nice sing-along kind of evening. Man was it fun!

I'm still extremely nervous to play in front of people, but last week may have given me the courage to go play for and with other people. Plus, I learned that when you go through most of your material in one evening it is time to learn even more! If you've never played with others - even just close family - I highly recommend it. You will enjoy playing with friends and family, and you'll want to improve more than ever!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Awesome, keep it up!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:32 PM

You'd better beware, before you know it you'll become addicted to playing in front of people and have to suffer the consequences of improving your skill and buying more expensive guitars you've ever contemplated to be necessary. Good job though, congrats!

Ludwig
Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM

AH yes, your feet are upon the path.

The best part about your post? " Man was it fun! "

Now thats what I'm talkin about!!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Congrats! I've been down that same road a long time ago, and many many hundreds of gigs later, I'm glad I took that same first step. It's pretty clear what you want to do, so don't let your "old self" get in the way. Keep it up, check out some open mics, etc. Congrats again!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

As in most things, one is usually rewarded for stepping outside on one's comfort zone. Congratulations for "strapping up" even though you were nervous as all get out!

Steve
Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 PM

Banker, you'll remember that night for the rest of your life. It's not easy walking outside your comfort zone but it's like anything else, it gets easier the more you do it. Now, go learn some new songs.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:16 PM

Congratulations!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM

I give you credit Banker, I have been playing guitar for 26 years and I can not play for or with others.

Like today, the nice guy across the street is here for the weekend and he came over to say that he and some of his musician friends will gather in the driveway, "come on over", he said, and "bring your guitar".

Well, I know what will happen, I'll show up with my guitar and the others will stop their activity and act encouragingly toward me and I will begin to play and some will try to play along behind me but quickly realize that I am in a world of my own and they can only sit and wait until I am finished. I don't sing so my play must carry the day and it doesn't. It is quite humbling to put in as much time as I have over the years into my music and not be able to bring it forth to others.

I don't play badly at all, just quietly and lost in my own effort which, unless you are willing to sit there attentively, looses interest, attention drifts away and I furtively come to a stop and put my instrument away vowing not to do that again.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM

Remember, there's always somebody else out there who wishes they had the guts to do what you just did.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Location: Along the beautiful shores of the Mississippi Gulf Coast

Interesting post.
I too played in front of people (besides my wife) for the first time last week; also at my I laws.
I always put up my guitar when people came over etc.
I don't think I would have played in front of people but after being out of town for several days without getting to play, I just couldn't help it when my brother in law handed me a guitar.
It felt great and now I'm thinking of doing a song at some local open mic night.
Still having trouble singing, though, so we'll see.
The post where somebody noted the frustration of having spent some 25 years with playing for others was interesting food for thought. Still a worthwhile life time endeavor, but maybe playing in front of people would be even "more."

"Nothing is more important than this day...."
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 PM

Not a thing wrong with simple songs. The greatest songs in R&R, Country, Blues, and Folk are 3-5 chords. Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Gordon Lightfoot, Rolling Stones, Everly Brothers, Peter-Paul-and Mary, and on and on. Literally everything they wrote and/or recorded was just a handful of chords. Have a blast with what you're doing and don't let anyone make it complicated. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Not many folks make a living doing this, so I figure I better be having a lot of fun.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 PM

That's great Banker, give 'em more!

I'd like to play open mics but we don't have any in our city of nearly 400,000, pretty sad huh? There used to be 4-5 per week at different venues a few yrs back. I'm a little shy & nerves get to me a bit but that's overshadowed by a desire to share the music (definitely not showing off, I'm not that good). I just enjoy doing it.

Anyway I just make my own open mics, been taking my old Suzuki J200 to the pub on the occasional thursday nights & sunday afternoons and playing a few songs in the beer garden/smoking area. I always play a lot worse there than I do at home & are more likely to forget lyrics & make mistakes but am gradually closing the gap. It also comes with me on every camping trip (at least 6-7 times a year).

Whatever happens the people there (mostly friends) are really appreciative & a few comment on how nice the tone of the guitar is (I'm thinking "are you kidding? this is an old POS", nevertheless accept the comment & smile back, thank you.....). I don't think most of them are into analysing the tech aspects of the guitar or my error rate anyway. A lot of the time they're singing along & enjoying themselves & it's rewarding for me to be giving them that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiabixby View Post
Like today, the nice guy across the street is here for the weekend and he came over to say that he and some of his musician friends will gather in the driveway, "come on over", he said, and "bring your guitar".
Hi lydiabixby, maybe if you just hang in the background & strum along, let them know you're a novice at performing with others & I'm sure no one will expect you to lead or solo. You might find some of them are willing to help or assist you, perhaps you may make some contacts to play with, if nothing else gaining valuable experience playing along in a group setting. Who knows, could be a turning point for you. All the best.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM

That's awesome banker, all the power to you. I am a newbie, been at it for 3 months and my goal is to someday be able to pick up my guitar and play a tune and sing along to friends, maybe at a barbeque or sitting around the campfire. I am a long ways away from being able to play a song, but reading your post put a big smile on my face as that is what I'd like to do some day
Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Well done!!!
It's definitely a big and scary step to take. And now you've taken that first step, you'd expect to be easier next time, but it will still be difficult, just not quite as bad, and so it goes on. And as far as I can see, it never gets easy to where you're not worried. But then that's where the fun is aye!
Best bit is always the way you feel afterwards. And that never goes away either ;-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion