The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 11:19 PM

Some guitars come to life with 80/20s, but seem a little dull with Phosphor Bronze (90/10s or similar.)

If you have a guitar that you would like to add some bright sparkle to, go with 80/20s.

If you have a guitar that is too bright for you, and you want to mellow it out a bit, go with PBs.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:52 AM

BTW I often take strings off of guitars and use them later. Sometimes it's just to try a different gauge.

One trick is to put a used set of strings in the case as a spare--they are already the right length!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 AM

Not sure of the scale length of your guitars
But if the one your taking the strings "off of "
is longer then the one your putting them "on to " then
your golden . The other way around may no work at all..
Old 12-13-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
If you want your mellow sounding string, go with PB, and ignore the 80/20s (or give them to me- I love the zingy mettalic 80/20s!).
The exp's will be even more mellow because of the added coating. I'd say try the EJ16s first, just to keep string gauge the same while changing alloy.

And as for reusability, it's totally doable!
Some folks will say that reducing tension and then stringing it back up will cause it to fatigue (and rightly so), but doing it once or twice is no problem. Only trouble is getting the twisted ends to cooperate. (Don't stab yourself!)

Plus If youre determined to change strings, then I guess you've nothing to lose if a string breaks. See it as as bonus if your strings survive. Start with the high strings as they are more likely to break. And if one does, you won't waste too much time
The easiest way to reuse strings is to take them off properly. All you have to do is loosen the string enough so you can pull the bridge pin and remove the ball end. Then take something small like a precision screw driver and pry the end of the string out of the tuning post without unbending or stretching the wrapped string in any way. The string will then slide right off with the windings exactly the way they were wrapped around the post.

To restring just slide the whole coil over the tuning post and tuck the end of the string back into the post. Then pull the ball end down into the bridge and insert the pin. You may have to do some very slight and easy finagling of the wraps on the post to make sure they are where you want them, i.e. not overlapping and in the appropriate over/under pattern that you use. Then just tune to pitch and enjoy. I do it all the time, it is remarkably simple and as low stress as possible given the circumstances.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion