The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-14-2015, 10:45 PM

Default Video Recording Tips?

What would you recommend for free video recording/editing software? I have a decent camera, but when I tried recording my playing with Window default recording software and editing with Windows Movie maker the framerate is poor. It would be nice to find something that's able to record quick chord changes and fingerpicking smoothly. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:13 AM

It may depend on the age of your computer - I know some older computers don't handle the newer video codecs that well. Stuff I shot on my tablet gave me trouble on my old, relatively beefy 32-bit computer, but no troubles on my newer low end 64-bit laptop.
I've been using Premiere Elements - not free, but relatively cheap compared to the high end editing software.
Also - maximise your ram, if you can.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-15-2015, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Watch my videos on Youtube to see how NOT to do it!
Old 11-15-2015, 09:39 AM

SM your videos and performances are very good, and you have some stellar guitars. Keep on doing what you do because you do it very well.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 11-15-2015, 09:43 AM

A lot of the production quality has to do with the camera. I've done a LOT of videos for my YouTube channel that came out just fine with Windows Movie Maker.

YouTube itself has some neat editing tools as well, but no editing tool can fix bad or inferior camera work.

-Soupy
I have bought and sold more guitars in my day, than frogs eat flies; Yamaha, Taylor, Washburn, Gibson, Martin, Ovation, Epiphone....you name it! One thing I've learned over the years however...........I ain't gonna be worth JACK, if I don't PRACTICE!!
Old 11-15-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMN View Post
What would you recommend for free video recording/editing software? I have a decent camera, but when I tried recording my playing with Window default recording software and editing with Windows Movie maker the framerate is poor. It would be nice to find something that's able to record quick chord changes and fingerpicking smoothly. Any input would be appreciated.
It sounds from your description like you are using either a built-in or add-on webcam. If this is the case, you ideally should budget for a new camera. As a work-around you might try rigging a lot of light when recording. A webcam will try to adjust to a low light condition by slowing the shutter speed and a blurry image is the result.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-15-2015, 02:29 PM

If you're looking for free, take a look at OpenShot:

http://openshot.org/

However you'll need to run Linux rather than Windows to use it. I run OpenShot on Ubuntu Linux. And while it is not fancy, it has just what I need, with a minimal learning curve. Here is an example video I did with OpenShot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STYPwhzmmsw

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 11-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
SM your videos and performances are very good, and you have some stellar guitars. Keep on doing what you do because you do it very well.
Thank you for the kind words Paul,

My video set up is very simple (as am I) - I used a Zoom Q3 for most then upgraded (?) to a Zoom Q2 (hd).

I haven't worked out how to edit the starts and ends yet.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 11-15-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:42 AM

Peter,

Did you end up finding a setup that works for you?

I am in a similar boat in that I am looking for something simple to capture videos - doesn't have to be professional quality, just something that can capture the video effectively. I got so frustrated that I just started using my iPad. I'd be interested to hear what you came up with!

Cheers.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-08-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Public discussion of price not allowed
Old 02-20-2016, 11:06 AM

I got a little irritated with iMovie (the video editing software that came with my Mac) so I downloaded this and actually found it to be very user friendly and functional for what I do. And it's free...

VideoPad Video Editor

(Scroll to the bottom to download the PC version)

Here's a video I made with it. Nothing fancy, just some text and a few fade cuts, but that's what I wanted and it was very straightforward.

Live at the Floyd Country Store
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 02-20-2016, 11:48 AM

I use Cyberlink's PowerDirector 13 and find it to be very good software (version 14 is out now). We use a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200 which has a Leica lens, 25-600 optical at f2.8 throughout the entire range. Sometimes I shoot video with my iPhone 6S and those come out very good, as well.

Our videos for specials at church are in my signature but here's a video I did and edited with PowerDirector of one of our grandson's basketball game -

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD