The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-29-2015, 03:16 PM

Default Rookie recording question

I was looking for an interface to use for simple recordings in Garage Band for song ideas and whatnot. I have some experience with Presonus as we use a Studiolive 24 mixer at church.

Anyway any thoughts on this package http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...%20usb&index=1 ?
Old 10-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

That looks like a lot of gear for a very low price If you would actually use the midi controller key board it seems like a pretty good starter system . With the added advantage of including the Presonus Studio One (Artist version ) Daw software
So you would have either it or Garage Band to use.
The only thing which may be no issue at all really, is that GB is 64 bit and Studio One Artist is 32 bit so if you ever decided to get any third plugins you would have to decide which DAW to get them for because they would not be cross DAW compatible .

That said: For starting out and getting into recording that is not any kind of big deal and Studio One comes with a pretty good selection of plugins and virtual midi instruments.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the response.
I am actually familiar with studio one. I have used it a little bit with my church's Presonus sound board. I find it usable by me and I'm far from an expert. My wife would use the midi controller more than I would since I don't actually play keys but I dapple a bit.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padrejamie View Post
Thanks for the response.
I am actually familiar with studio one. I have used it a little bit with my church's Presonus sound board. I find it usable by me and I'm far from an expert. My wife would use the midi controller more than I would since I don't actually play keys but I dapple a bit.
Oh you should indeed dabble. I do not play keyboard either but I use my keyboard midi controller all the time as either a supplement to my acoustic guitar tracks or sometimes just compose a complete song with midi instruments.
With a piano chord chart you can then begin to match the keyboard chords to your guitar chord changes . You can do things like add strings and synths, horns flutes violins, effects, it is endless really. And you then can try melodies and or lead riffs by ear and or trial and error hunt an peck.
Plus you can play in and build up percussion and complete drums kits sequences etc. as well.

Here one such midi only piece just a basic chord progression of synth strings dubbed over some percussion. I usually play in the actual drum or percussion beats but this time I decided to try and experiment with creating a multi patterned looped percussion sequence, Then just hunt an pecked some melodies and riffs etc.

Where this one is more of a classic Rock piece with an acoustic rhythm guitar then a midi bass and drum parts played in then the acoustic guitar again for riffs run through some electric guitar effects

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-07-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:32 AM

For $180 its an adequate 'starter kit'. The mic and headphones are probably hte low points of it. The AI goes for $99 by itself. The mic has a 40Hz-18Khz range (and the frequency curve for that probably doesn't look too good) and doesn't seem to be available for sale by itself anywhere.

Note that for mixing you are going to need some powered monitors - budget at least $300 for a pair.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-02-2015, 08:07 PM

One thing that should be taken into consideration is that the OP needs to research which DAW hardware works with which software. Garage Band is an Apple product, correct?

A lot of times the audio interfaces that sell for cheap only work with the specific proprietary DAW software. That's one reason why I never used M-Audio hardware, because IIRC it only works with Pro Tools software and I did not want to use Pro Tools.

Anyways, I'm not trying to scare anyone out of buying what they want. I'm just saying do your homework and make sure Garage Band works with Presonus products.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:12 PM

I decided to pick it up. For the price that it was I figured I will like it well enough to fiddle around with. As far as whether I will have to use studio one artist, which comes with the package, or if I can use it with GarageBand either one is fine. I have some experience with each.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood&wire View Post
One thing that should be taken into consideration is that the OP needs to research which DAW hardware works with which software. Garage Band is an Apple product, correct?

A lot of times the audio interfaces that sell for cheap only work with the specific proprietary DAW software. That's one reason why I never used M-Audio hardware, because IIRC it only works with Pro Tools software and I did not want to use Pro Tools.

Anyways, I'm not trying to scare anyone out of buying what they want. I'm just saying do your homework and make sure Garage Band works with Presonus products.
Software >> hardware, actually the opposite -ProTools needed the MAudio gear, but MAudio interface does not require using PT.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-03-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Software >> hardware, actually the opposite -ProTools needed the MAudio gear, but MAudio interface does not require using PT.
Thanks for the clarification. Now that I think about, one of the reasons I didn't want PT is because I did not wish to use the hardware they require you to use. Something like that.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Whoa guys to clarify.... From Pro Tools 9 onward ( November 2010) Avid decoupled software from hardware, in both directions.
With a coupe of caveats, That apply only to PTHD software and hardware
While you can run previously purchased PTHD software (natively) on other brands hardware. You can only purchase a new PTHD software license with the purchase of a new Avid HD Native or HDX hardware system. And an Avid HDX (DSP) hardware system only runs with PTHD software

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-05-2015 at 10:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD