The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Nice playing and a good sound too, though I'm no expert either.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 11-16-2015, 03:46 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
I found startup frustrating because I was looking to accomplish a finished recording and just wanted the tools to work.
If the equipment and software are approached as a hobby unto themselves the pressure changes as I've found recently.
With my Mom's CD accomplished I can now cruise many YT videos and learn one new thing from each that makes it easier. This is time-consuming and I didn't have the mind or patience for it when trying to get the CD done.

I have a very small victory to report using Reaper that's related to the hum described. My wife had 2 recordings of lectures which both had a background buzz in them that was objectionable. In less than 5 minutes I applied the REAFir FX using the subtract function to remove the buzz. Then with 5 minutes more to render 2 hours of audio without the buzz she had her usable audio lectures. That felt pretty good!
A few minutes of knowledge to fix 2 hours of footage? That sounds like time well spent, heh. =)

I'll also dive a lot more into recording before I start actually considering releasing something, even just for YouTube. I do everything more or less based on empirical knowledge, so it takes time as I want to understand what's going on. E.g. I don't know if my approach to simply use the 'Amplify' function (and let it adjust the amplification automatically) in Audacity is the actual way to amplify a raw low output recording. That's the kind of stuff I read and ask about, but it seems like a lot of this is a very creative and personal process as well.

I suppose my thinking in regards to this is just too structural and defined. I don't seem to suffer from the same level of this when I write my own music. It'll probably take me time to lay off a habit like that.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I use Audacity and the kind of recording I like is crisp with a little reverb sometimes and nothing else. The best advice I got was after I recorded and clipped out the extra at the beginning and the end was to split the recording into two channels and pan one all the way to the left and the other all the way to the right.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD