The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-03-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Garageband or go straight to Logic

Hi All

I'm ready to start recording and what I want to achieve is high quality sound. I have the recording gear which is good and a great acoustic guitar but was wondering if I should go straight to logic.

I don't intend to do anything other than vocals and guitar but I want to know if Logic is really no better than Garageband for this limited approach.

Are there any real shortcomings?

many thanks.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:49 PM

Hi,

there will be no difference between Logic and Garageband in terms of quality of recorded material.
Logic gives you more editing features and more plugins to play with but is it something that you're going to spend time on? If not, you can record into either of them.
Good performance and recording technique are more important than software we use.
Besides, Logic can open Garageband files if you later decide you need more advanced editing.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:07 PM

Even for guitar and vocals Logic is more flexible and powerful. But do you need it? Use Garage band and then upgrade later when you feel more confident and if you decide you need more!
Martin J40
Old 11-03-2015, 05:33 PM

GB is fine for layering and such. Fairly simple editing too. Like any of these programs, it takes some getting used to.

I have Logic, and there's more to learn. Might not be worth the time trade-off.

Try GB first.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominant7th View Post
Hi All

I'm ready to start recording and what I want to achieve is high quality sound. I have the recording gear which is good and a great acoustic guitar but was wondering if I should go straight to logic.

I don't intend to do anything other than vocals and guitar but I want to know if Logic is really no better than Garageband for this limited approach.

Are there any real shortcomings?

many thanks.
For me the Automatic Punch In feature, Quick Swipe Comping, Track Stacks and Flex Pitch make Logic the better choice. Beyond these features, Logic provides far greater control over every conceivable parameter and effect. I found Garageband very limited for recording, editing and mixing. There is a big learning curve with Logic but it's worth the effort if you can afford the time.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 PM

Recording can be a lot of fun, to get good at it you have to spend a LOT of time doing it. Start with GarageBand, if you fall in love with recording and are putting in the hours upgrade to logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.youtube.com/user/andrewemmel
Old 11-04-2015, 02:26 AM

Thank you for the replies.

I will most likely learn the basics of recording through garageband and, as has been suggested, move up to logic if I get bitten by the bug.

I'm not sure how much time I will spend recording because I tend to spend the time I have playing, but the other side of the coin is that recording may also help me to improve my playing and tighten up all aspects of my playing.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominant7th View Post
Thank you for the replies.

I will most likely learn the basics of recording through garageband and, as has been suggested, move up to logic if I get bitten by the bug.

I'm not sure how much time I will spend recording because I tend to spend the time I have playing, but the other side of the coin is that recording may also help me to improve my playing and tighten up all aspects of my playing.
Yes that's the deal for me. I started recording again as it does force me to come up with ideas and to listen to myself recorded. I'm working on The Man Who Sold the World by Bowie as the moment. And I get to play bass and electric guitar as well.

Garageband is lacking in a lot of stuff but is still amazing value for money as it's basically free.

I use Logic Pro X now and I really like it for $199.

No reason not to start on GB and upgrade to Pro X at a later date.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 11-04-2015, 05:51 AM

I was told by an experienced Mac guy, that if I am unable to use GB, that Logic would be too much. Several pro releases have been done on GB, I am told. But according to some, there are several things that GB will not do that Logic will.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 11-04-2015, 08:46 AM

The current version of GB is like Logic Pro X lite if there were such a thing.

But I would agree if you struggle with the basics in GB you should not buy Logic Pro X.

GB is completely missing a mixing console amongst other things.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 11-04-2015, 03:01 PM

Thank you all.

I totally agree - I need to use GB and see how I get on. Only then will I know if there is a need for for logic in my workflow.

At the end of the day it's like trying to run before I can walk.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD