The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM

Default static pickguards

I know this topic has been discussed numerous times...but please indulge one more as I couldn't find an answer to this specific question on the forum. Does anyone know of a static pickguard that is SAFE for nitro finishes?

I know the DS Custom ones are NOT safe for nitro, nor are the Taylor ones. Any other suggestions?
'75 Alvarez 12-string Sitka/Hog
Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atty26.2 View Post
I know this topic has been discussed numerous times...but please indulge one more as I couldn't find an answer to this specific question on the forum. Does anyone know of a static pickguard that is SAFE for nitro finishes?

I know the DS Custom ones are NOT safe for nitro, nor are the Taylor ones. Any other suggestions?
Hi atty-etc…

Just as a point of information, and out of curiosity, why not have a clear pick plate installed? It's safe, and permanent, and transparent to the audience.

Here's a couple pictures of my Bashkin with a transparent pick guard…

2011…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Lovely shots Larry, that top is ageing beautifully!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Lovely shots Larry, that top is ageing beautifully!
Hi Michael...

Thanks! Yes it is aging nicely, as is the tone.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
why not have a clear pick plate installed? It's safe, and permanent, and transparent to the audience.
Larry: I've considered that a few times, but I just love the look of no pickguard at all. Not sure why...just my personal preference. Also, and I realize this is a point of controversy and I DO NOT want to start a discussion of this point, I sort of figured a static cling version would impact top vibration less than a permanent installation. That may not be true, but just my personal thoughts.

Beautiful Bashkin by the way. Just out of curiosity, was your clear guard an original or after market install? If after, what kind did you choose?
'75 Alvarez 12-string Sitka/Hog
Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Larry: I've considered that a few times, but I just love the look of no pickguard at all. Not sure why...just my personal preference. Also, and I realize this is a point of controversy and I DO NOT want to start a discussion of this point, I sort of figured a static cling version would impact top vibration less than a permanent installation. That may not be true, but just my personal thoughts.

Beautiful Bashkin by the way. Just out of curiosity, was your clear guard an original or after market install? If after, what kind did you choose?
HI atty...

I ordered it that way. Michael Bashkin installed it.

The one on my Kronbauer was added by him at my request (at 3 yrs of age)...and I don't know what kind it is. I left that up to Michael...both are basically invisible.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 PM

I am actually one of "few" that asked about this question. Maybe you can retrace and get to my question. But why go thru all the worrying? Some people were saying it does damage the finish. Some people were saying it does NOT. I just adjusted the strumming technique. It went from sloppy flopping strumming to more rigid and focused strumming. Video record your strumming and you'll see...or just look at your strumming in the mirror.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Also, and I realize this is a point of controversy and I DO NOT want to start a discussion of this point, I sort of figured a static cling version would impact top vibration less than a permanent installation. That may not be true, but just my personal thoughts.
The only way either a temporary or a permanently installed pickguard can have an impact on the top vibration is by how much mass they have. Unless the permanent pickguard had significantly more mass than the temporary pickguard, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference.

Sorry if you did not want that pointed out, but that is what would cause any such effect.

In any event, all of the temporary pickguards I've ever encountered were made of vinyl, which is not a material you want coming into contact with nitro-cellulose lacquer. So, I'm sorry, but I can't give you a workable alternative for a pickguard that will go on and come right off. Unless there's some modern miracle material that I haven't heard about, vinyl is about the only option there.

But a permanent clear pickguard won't inhibit the top any more than a temporary pickguard will, that's the important point that should be grasped.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion